Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 A4 Avant Build.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

2006 A4 Avant Build.

I am looking to move my subwoofer from a sealed 0.5cf enclosure to an approximately 1.45cf ported enclosure. While I have a pair of subs, using WinISD a pair sealed is -3dB at 45Hz, while a single in a ported enclosure at -3dB is 32.5Hz, using 2 round ports 2" in diameter and 16.85" long. However, I have never put together a ported enclosure before and have some questions about port placement, along with clearance on a down firing sub. The enclosure will be built to fit inside this:

It will be cut at an angle to fit flush against the back seat, ideally giving the illusion when looking in from the outside that it is a suitcase sitting there. So, my first issue is wanting to keep this stealthy while also figuring out somewhere to put 2 x 2" holes for the ports. The xmax on the sub is 9.5mm so I am hoping to get away with 1.5-2" of clearance, however I have read that if the port is too close to the floor, that it (the floor) can have an effect on the port. The problem is if I have the enclosure floating too far off the floor, then it takes away the entire purpose of the stealth look. Assuming 1.5-2" of clearance is OK, is it fine to have the ports on the same face of the enclosure as the subwoofer itself?

I was also thinking, in my trunk there is essentially a factory false floor that provides about 2" of height above the actual trunk floor. Currently my amps and DSP are in that location, but once I move the subwoofer then those would also move. You can see the space I am talking about here:

Essentially a wooden shelf sits on top of this, you can see the lip the shelf sits in on either side. My thinking is of cutting an opening into this wooden shelf, to have the sub then firing down into this opening and also to have the ports facing down into this opening and firing into the same space.

The suitcase would be mounted to some brackets or something that is attached to the floor, but from the outside would then appear as though it is sitting directly on the trunk floor (hope that makes sense).

With this idea am I going to run into problems? either with the sub firing down into there or with the ports firing down into there? If not it should really help with trying to disguise the ports and also with having enough room for the sub to down fire.

The only thing then is finding a spare floor for the trunk outside of paying Audi over $350 for a piece of wood with some carpet over it!! Before anyone mentions it, if I had a black trunk, I would just make my own. I have a tan interior though and have so far found no carpet to match out of who knows how many samples. I may still make my own piece and cover it in matching vinyl, hopefully, I can find a color match on the vinyl and it at least saves me having to cut into the factory panel.

Thoughts? Would this work? or if I fire the ports and subwoofer down into that location am I going to be running into a ton of problems. Worst comes to worst I will run the pair sealed, but am really hoping to figure out the ported enclosure.

Thanks.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Ported Enclosure Help

The port doesn't actually have to be inside the enclosure. What if you were to cut a hole in the false floor and mount the suitcase to it to where the sub is firing down into the wheel well, and you could also build a slot port that is actually contained under the cover?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box.png 
Views:	662 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	5747

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Naiku,

I would do 2 sealed - better transients !

Al is right on the money, nice Al !

With cabin gain/transfer function - you won't miss 3 dBs.

Does your sub pass the test for down-firing ?

I WOULD THINK 2 SEALED !!!

16.85" l x 2" diameter could look like a shop vac hose lying on the floor next to suitcase if placed externally to suitcase enclosure. An actual piece of hose would work as port tube.
    Last edited by Hic; 01-28-2017 at 06:28 AM.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

I prefer ported over sealed. I think I'd try to use a slot port before using 2 - 2" ports though because I'd have concerns about port noise.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    The port doesn't actually have to be inside the enclosure. What if you were to cut a hole in the false floor and mount the suitcase to it to where the sub is firing down into the wheel well, and you could also build a slot port that is actually contained under the cover
    That's not a bad idea at all, have to look into slot ports but that may make life easier.

Sort of wondering if I cut the entire bottom of the suitcase off, then use what is left as a cover and attach it to the wooden enclosure. Definitely looking at making a whole new floor rather than cutting the factory piece, especially as used tan ones are hard to come by.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

The port doesn't actually have to be inside the enclosure. What if you were to cut a hole in the false floor and mount the suitcase to it to where the sub is firing down into the wheel well, and you could also build a slot port that is actually contained under the cover?
    Just don't forget to not subtract the vent volume fromt he enclosure. the last two of mine had external vents...

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

Or...put a plexiglass top on it, so when you open the suitcase, you can show off your cool enclosure guts.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Just don't forget to not subtract the vent volume fromt he enclosure. the last two of mine had external vents...
    Yeah, ports and the sub take up airspace, so make sure you include that in your box volume. If you go with an external port, you gain that airspace inside the box.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Ian, since the frequencies played by a subwoofer are omni-directional [ going everywhere or permeating the whole space inside your vehicle ], I forsee no problems for you with this endeavor.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Or...put a plexiglass top on it, so when you open the suitcase, you can show off your cool enclosure guts.
    This, and wrap the inside of the enclosure in that plaid fabric, to mimic the inside of a suitcase. Maybe even an airline tag glued in there too
    Are you not entertained?!?!