Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: 2006 A4 Avant Build.

1. Back To Top    #81

Re: 2006 A4 Avant Build.

Sounds like something I might do, lol.......so, what did you score with yer mono system?

2. Back To Top    #82
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

No idea what I scored, did not even hang around to find out. I did have to leave by 1pm though, which impacted me learning the score, but I suspect it may have been zero!

Looking forward to the meet here on the 30th now.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

3. Back To Top    #83
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Bummer Ian
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

4. Back To Top    #84

Is it possible that the preferred music being played lent very little towards stereo separation, I am left nonplussed at such a result! Not that it couldn't happen to anyone but I wouldn't have suspected OP to succumb to either an entire missing stage-side, or a pure mono config?

Just goes to show that with good components/install/tonality, even stereo can be an optional while still gleaning some finite amount of pleasure...

but then again, just toggling mono/stereo on my FM tuner, doesn't necessarily prompt a wow either, eh...

good of you to share this unlikely sequence of events.

5. Back To Top    #85
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Honestly, that's what surprised me the most, that I over the past few weeks did not sit in the car and realize something was seriously wrong. Through playing music, pink noise etc I never even gave it any thought. I half wonder if running rear fill gave enough of an illusion that it tricked me.

I had noticed a lack of width, even started a thread on diyma asking for tips on getting the width back that I had previously with the Helix. Looking back I bet that missing width was the mono showing itself, but at the time I did not realize it. I also wonder how much time I wasted trying to get that width back.

I will say this though, having discovered and corrected the problem, it sounds (to me) incredible and I would feel way more confident competing with it like this. I may be able to convince some people I know how to tune

6. Back To Top    #86
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

How is the noise issue?

7. Back To Top    #87
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    How is the noise issue?
    I actually need to listen for that, I had it pretty quiet before correcting my mistake, was just wondering actually if it is improved now. Heading to the garage in a second and may give it a quick listen.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

8. Back To Top    #88
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Quote Originally Posted by cajunner View Post
    Just goes to show that with good components/install/tonality, even stereo can be an optional while still gleaning some finite amount of pleasure...

good of you to share this unlikely sequence of events.
    Awesome insight cajunner !
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

9. Back To Top    #89
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

I suck at updating this.... a few changes since the last time I added anything

1) After some back and forth with MiniDSP they released a V2 version of the DSP and let anyone with a V1 (apart from HillbillySQ, that still annoys me) get an upgraded V2 board free. Yay, no more hissing.
    2) Swapped out the Dayton RS75's for some Infiniti Kappa 20MX, much better overall.
    3) Changed the rear fill out from the Alpine's in the rear doors to some CDT ES02 mounted higher and further back in the trunk, massive improvement to the rear fill.
    4) Upgraded the DSP to the Dirac Live version, still a work in progress as the software definitely has some quirks. But, it's an amazing time saver when it comes to tuning and does an incredible job with the stage.
    5) Tablet is gone. Over the last few months it started to not charge in the car (or the house, unless you have a plug in just the right spot). It also often would not recognize USB devices plugged in, started freezing etc. So, out it came a few days ago and I now have the car torn apart getting ready to install a Kenwood DDX9905S.

If anyone who is installing a tablet or plans to in there car wants some spare parts (Joycon EXR for your steering wheel controls, DCDC-USB for power, right angle USB cord etc.) let me know and they can have them for cost of shipping. They will end up collecting dust if I keep them, so I'd at least rather someone make use of them.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

10. Back To Top    #90
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Finished installing the Kenwood yesterday and finally got a chance to use it for more than a couple minutes last night, it's weird coming from the tablet and it's familiar interface to something completely different. There is a lot on the Kenwood that I frankly don't need and will never use, but overall I am getting used to finding my way around with it. It reads my 128GB flash drive incredibly quickly, which is awesome, as the tablet would usually take a minute to read the whole thing if I had to rescan it, while I doubt I will use Android Auto all that much, it connects via wireless to my phone as soon as the unit starts (or I can plug it into the 2nd USB and leave the phone in the glovebox to charge). The red lighting on the buttons match the interior perfectly, screen is really nice, although I need to see if I can dim it some more at night as it is still pretty bright.

I need to check the input sensitivity on the DSP later, back when I was trying to figure out the hissing noise I changed it from 4V (default) to 2V and am not sure if I ever changed it back. Not an issue previously as I was running optical into it, but now with RCA it's something I should confirm. That leads me to my other problem, alternator whine. With the optical I had none, with the RCA I have a quiet whine. Not really noticeable with music playing, but after going through the whole ordeal with getting the hissing sorted having any noise bugs me now. In this picture:

The MiniDSP is mounted where you see the MS8 with the power distribution block below there, the power wire runs down the passenger side of the car, then behind that trim panel to the fuse block. The RCA runs down the center, then under the back seat, but then follows the same path as the power wire behind the trim to the side of the DSP. It's a shielded directional RCA (Stinker SI6217) so I would have thought would not be susceptible to noise, but who knows. I am thinking of running it from the back seat along where you see the amps in that picture, beside the spare wheel cover and then through a small hole to the DSP. That should then have it not running beside the power wire at any point and ideally sort it out. Figure I will also check the grounds (and make sure I put the RCA in the correct direction).
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix