2 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best dogs

1. Back To Top    #11
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

Re: Best dogs

I've been a Pit bull owner for nearly 14 years and they can be great dogs but not all are and most of the time its the owners' fault. And there is no getting around the stigma of the breed. I've had people cross the street or move their kids away from us when walking on the sidewalk. It sucks but I get it. Mine is very loyal and sweet but when she plays she goes past the intensity that say a Lab or a Retriever would show. I wouldn't feel comfortable with someone who didn't know my dog playing tug with her like I did because I won't ever take the chance that my dog could bite someone. Maggie is coming up on 14 years which is rare for a Pit Bull and though she lays around more than she used to, she also still shows Pit Bull tendencies like aggressive play and the stubbornness that is present in most Bully breeds. They are certainly not for everyone.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Martyn
    Vehicle
    None now.

From what I have been reading, I can also echo the views on here.

I have been used to great Danes most of my life, and for me they are the most placid breeds I have seen. I remember when my parents looked after a Rottweiler while the owners were away and he was again very placid, and that was down to how the owners trained him. (He did have 5 young girls and a boy to look after lol) .

I do think dogs like the pitbull and over here, Staffordshire bull terrier get a bad reputation, but I have met a few that a even more placid than the Danes I have seen. Granted staffies are built like bricks (quite an unstoppable force when they start running) and some would say not the nicest looking of breeds, but if properly looked after, they are one of the most loyal breeds I have met.

I know it seems like a bit of an essay, and to do it on a tablet, can be cumbersome, but in the end the best breed is a breed brought up right.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

3. Back To Top    #13

Nope, nope, nope. Nature vs nurture can only due so much for instinctual animals; unless you want to argue that Hic is a piss poor dog owner and it was his fault the dog snapped a guy's nose off.....

Again, I have been around plenty of pits that have been great pets..... until they aren't. Of course, the number of pits out there vs the number that "snap" is exponentially lower ratio than chihuahuas or Dachshunds. They get more attention as an "aggressive breed" because if they do "snap", the carnage can be frightening.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Martyn
    Vehicle
    None now.

I am not blaming hic in any way, shape or form, as reading what happened the dog just woke as something or in this case someone disturbed his sleep and went on the defensive. It is a shame that it happened though.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

That's the kind of thing that could happen with any animal that got startled. Larger breeds are just more capable of doing damage.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Greyhounds are very docile, they have 2 speeds, sprint the race then sleep the rest of the day.. My best friend has a greyhound rescue that hammered him because she sleep-startles, it's actually a condition.

I have a pit and (what we believe to be a boxer) mix, her head has some pit shape (muscle structure) and he has a pit-ish mouth but not huge. She's taller though and marked like a fawn boxer except the face. she also has the boxer coat (which is fan-fucking tastic) Great dog, no aggression at all, and I've tried my damnest to find the trigger just so I know. She plays intense and has a prey drive like no other, but she's also pretty young still. She has SOME pit mannerisms, like wanting to bite legs when playing with the other dog, etc. Good dog, I wonder if there's just enough of something else in her to make the aggression go away. The only faults I can find in her is that she's nuts on a walk and over affectionate.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

The overly affectionate part sure sounds like a Pit to me. Boxers are great dogs too and have a lot of similar mannerisms but they aren't as intense as Pits when it comes to play. The best way I could describe my experience with the breed is that they just don't have much quit in them. Once you get them riled up, it takes some effort to get them calm again. The playful nature, loyalty and their tendency to be very affectionate is what attracted me to the breed.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

She bounces like a boxer, that was the first tip-off..... Then the entire boxer coat, legs, etc. She's overweight and we cannot figure it out, I swear we are starving her, I'm thinking about getting her thyroid levels checked.. It's almost like she is on steroids.

Either that or she is getting up when we go to bed, cooking a whole ham, and eating it.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

Has she been spayed? Mine put on a lot of weight from years 2-5 and in talking with other bully breed owners, that isn't uncommon due to hormonal changes. We made some dietary changes and gave it time and Maggie shed the weight. Now we are on the other side with an elderly dog that is losing muscle mass as she ages.

10. Back To Top    #20

Pits are terriers.... big fucking terriers. That should connect the dots to their tenacity, intensity, stubbornness, focus, etc, etc, etc......

And sorry to sound like such a downer on the breed because I'm not per-se, I have never been around one that scared me. They've all been good dogs, I just know the instinct my herding dogs have and know you can't "cure" it. If you have a pit that happens to have an aggressive fighting bloodline, I believe there is risk there.

That being said, one of my favorite breeds is the Doberman. I don't know why because the first one I came in contact with was an aggressive as hell neighbor dog to my grandparents growing up. Damn thing never quit at the fence, but for some reason it resonated with me and I've always been in love. Maybe it's from Magnum PI.....