Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2010 MX-5 / Miata Build

1. Back To Top    #111

Re: 2010 MX-5 / Miata Build

Ok, so educate the curious olde phart .... how does one tune a Miata? I mean in terms of the 'setting' ... top & windows down, parked outside to avoid 'garage effect' ..... or ....?
    CURRENT RIDE - 2019 HONDA RIDGELINE RTL-E (no audio mods yet)
    PREVIOUS - 2014 Ford Escape ~ SYNC2 ~ 8" Touchscreen ~ DIY reprogrammed: EQ & TA defeat, HD radio enable, NAV enable, Sirius delete
    DSP & Amps by JBL MS series ~ Midrange & Tweeters by HAT Legatia ~ Midbass & Subs by SI TM65/BMmkV
    Lossless format music library on Samsung T3 250GB USB SSD

2. Back To Top    #112

Well, I plan to design and install a switch to detect if the top is up or down. The JL amp has a "Valet" function to change tunes based on a switch, and the APL can be made to change tunes based off that same switch. I believe this will be important because the tune changes drastically by putting the top and windows down.

For now I'm tuning with the top up and windows closed, in a relatively quiet place. It's essentially the same as with a hardtop car, but with a little less cabin gain. I figured I'd set the delays first, then use the parametric EQ's in the amp to get both sides match, and get the overall shape of the curve to match my target. From there I'll use the APL1 to fine tune it and call it good.

If I had a shop to work in with A/C and a power supply, I could do this in a day. But I'm working in the Texas heat with just battery power, so it's a lengthy process.

3. Back To Top    #113

if there is a circuit that can sense when the top and windows are down and that circuit can energize the switch that the APL1 uses to toggle between saved settings, then it could be automatic, that would be pretty sweet if you essentially heard very little change to your stereo system, top up, or top down.

unfortunately, all I can see are solenoids and servos, motorized pots perhaps, nothing simple like central control in a Tesla, little black boxes filled with hand-wired junk...

or maybe a voltage level change, like what turns on amps without the remote wire? I'm sure there's an easy button...

or back to the big rotary encoders, sort of like the console remotes we see people experimenting with, a little twist and pop, still requiring the input of recognition, though. Blue back-light, top up, Red back-lighting, top down? So many ways to go here.

I'd want to put pop-up lens, Bang and O style, rigged in with the top down feature set, throw the treble at me, baby...

4. Back To Top    #114

You are WAY overthinking this :-)

The JL amp needs a +12v signal to activate the second tune, or “Valet” mode as JL calls it. It also has a remote out. A simple on/off switch connecting the Remote out and Valet in will do the trick.

The APL has a 16 position switch, and Raimonds told me I just need to tap into two of the wires for the 16 position switch to turn it into a two position switch. I can simply use a relay to connect those wires.

So it can be as simple as one of these two circuits:

With a switch like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cole-Hersee-40100-BX-Momentary-Switch/dp/B01EJVJOPW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535033221&sr=8-1&keywords=Cole+Hersee+40100-BX

The switch can be mounted to the box, and the pull attached to the top, so it’s pulling when the top is up. Pretty simple actually.

5. Back To Top    #115

I did some tuning today:

These are APL measurement files imported directly into REW, it makes it easy to show measurements in a format everyone here is familiar with. Also, I discovered today that you can import the DAT files APL Workshop generates directly into REW, super handy for setting the PEQ's in the amp!

So I did that and used REW to help guide me on setting the PEQ's in the amp.

There is still a problem on the left side that peaks around 150Hz, but the rest looks great. After a short listen, it sounds great too!

I still have stuff to fix, and I'll tune from scratch when I do. In the meantime, this is a VERY enjoyable setup!

Alos, I made a mistake early on when tuning, can you spot the mistake when looking at the REW files? http://lumbermansvo.com/APL/Miata/Miata.mdat

6. Back To Top    #116
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

Bass boost on "leftnosub"?

7. Back To Top    #117

I forgot to clarify, everything before the "mp1" tab is a time file. The x-axis is time, not DB.

I don't have a head unit, so there is no bass boost to be left on.

8. Back To Top    #118

This hobby is dumb.

If I had taken up knitting as a hobby many years ago I’d have saved a ton of money, and would have endless scarves and sweaters.

I’m on a work/vacation trip in Florida and drove the Miata down from Texas, I spent fours days on two lane roads with the music cranked up just enjoying the drive. Four days is enough to reveal lots of flaws in the setup, and there are two big flaws.

This first is road noise. I didn’t think it was that bad until I drove for three days in the rain. The noise from rain water kicked up by the rear tires just revealed how much work I have to do in the rear of the car. There are definite gains to be had by treating the area where the sub box is.

The other is that 100-250Hz dip on the left side response, even after tuning. I’m fairly certain that it is from the under side of the dash being open on that side of the car. I need to build a panel to fix that.

I also have a plan to add some sound absorbing material to the soft top. This will help stabilize it and improve resonance in a much wider frequency range than you might expect.

And last, I want to rebuild the sub box. After seeing how the soft top and the box interact with each other, I can probably gain at least another .5 CuFt of space to help the subs play lower, and get the most use of the little power they have. Also, with e redesign I can keep the sound energy going forward, and keep any energy from going towards the back of the car and into the top storage area. I will definitely keep both drivers on the passenger side of the car though, right now the driver seat doesn’t vibrate at all from the subs. However, the floor does, so I should probably fix that too…

9. Back To Top    #119
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Some spray on deadner/undercoating in wheel wells.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

10. Back To Top    #120
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Quote Originally Posted by LumbermanSVO View Post
    I did some tuning today:

These are APL measurement files imported directly into REW, it makes it easy to show measurements in a format everyone here is familiar with. Also, I discovered today that you can import the DAT files APL Workshop generates directly into REW, super handy for setting the PEQ's in the amp!

So I did that and used REW to help guide me on setting the PEQ's in the amp.

There is still a problem on the left side that peaks around 150Hz, but the rest looks great. After a short listen, it sounds great too!

I still have stuff to fix, and I'll tune from scratch when I do. In the meantime, this is a VERY enjoyable setup!

Alos, I made a mistake early on when tuning, can you spot the mistake when looking at the REW files? http://lumbermansvo.com/APL/Miata/Miata.mdat

the sub/bass/midbass in a "hardtop" -vs- "ragtop" always is noticeable !

The enclosing of underdash may help with "suckout" @ midbass/midrange !
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]