Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 F250 Crew Cab

1. Back To Top    #1

2019 F250 Crew Cab

Hello all.

Back in January, I purchased a bunch of car audio stuff from a dealer in Texas after speaking with Geek Squad and getting a quote on their install fee. They quoted me $200 after reviewing the list of items I was planning to buy.

After purchasing, I setup an install appointment but couldn’t get in until late March because their schedule was so full. Unfortunately, the week of my appointment they closed down due to Covid.

A couple of weeks ago they reopened so I rescheduled for yesterday, 7/14. After dropping off my truck for install, they were looking at my equipment that was the exact same as the list I brought to them in Jan and they called to tell me my install fee went from $200 to $800, depending on how long it took them to install everything. They said they entered my equipment wrong into their system, so I have to pay custom labor rates that aren’t included in their $200 “total tech membership” benefits.

So now I have $2,500 worth of stuff that I can’t afford to install. The seller told me yesterday that he can accept returns on the items not special order, but at least one of my items was a special order and it was $900+, AND Best Buy freaking OPENED that item so I can’t even sell it as never opened, new in the box. So basically, I’m screwed.

I’m trying to decide if I just want to be screwed, or if I can install this stuff by myself. I’ve replaced speakers before and even put in my own head unit along with an equalizer/amp combo, but that was YEARS ago in a shitty car that I didn’t care if something wasn’t perfect or damaged.

This time it’ll be in my new(er) truck and I certainly don’t want to jack anything up and destroy any computer stuff in the truck.

At a high level, here are the items I want to install:
    1). Front component speakers
    2). Rear component speakers
    3). 5 channel amp (1 for sub)
    4). Line out converter
    5). Stealthbox sub

I have no idea what the install order should be. Best Buy said they’d install the speakers first, so if I were doing it without any help at all, that’s probably what I’d try.

Unfortunately, I have no idea about any of the other stuff or how to do it. I think the LOC goes in between the stock head unit and the Amp, so I’d probably try to do that next, and then install the Amp, and finally the sub.

I’m really at a total loss on how to do this. If I could find some help, I’d love to do it.

I called a local car audio shop and asked them how much they’d charge and it was even more than EST Buy. When I told them I was planning to have Best Buy install my stuff, the guy laughed and said he’d LOVE to see Best Buy install just the amp I bought because it’s so hard to even get sound without connecting it to a computer and programming it. I’m a software engineer so I’m not afraid of technology, but if he thought it would be hard for people who install stuff everyday, it’s most certainly going to be difficult for me, even with help.

Attached are pictures of my receipts for the items I bought. One receipt is for the speakers, amp, and Stealthbox, and the second receipt is for all of the extra stuff needed for install (speaker brackets, speaker wire, LOC, etc).

Is there anyone who can help me with this mess, or should I just accept the loss of several hundred dollars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

Re: 2019 F250 Crew Cab

Not sure where you live. I can tell you the Best Buy by my house has an incredible car audio install department and they've been extremely clean removing the entirety of the interior moldings to do my daughter's rear back up camera, plus removing the center console on it to access the reverse switch on the trans for it as well. I did NOT want to remove the center console at all. Not to say I couldn't so it, just that they do it all the time and it would take me far too long, more than one day like they had it done. It was a 2001 Toyota 4runner if you're familiar with them. If you go on there website and look at what installation covers, it will cover the speakers, the amp, and the head unit. The stealth box is just putting a box under the seat with the sub in it? Since Best Buy isn't answering the phone, at least in my area they don't seem to be. I would go to more than one store and deal with the install manager personally. I've got several around where I live, but the best one is actually by my house. This is a case by case basis I believe in this instance.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

If you decide to take the plunge, we'd be happy to help. Biggest things appear to be running wires, getting the dash trim removed to access back of the radio, and pulling panels for the door speaker locations. Everything else isn't too bad.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

4. Back To Top    #4

This forum is a wealth of knowledge if you want to do it yourself. If you end up going with a shop, many here have recommended meeting with not only the salespeople, but also the installers and even the owner of the shop, if you can. On the one hand, you will have a shop and their insurance ready to cover any damage. On the other, if you bring your own equipment, they will, more than likely, not warranty or swap out anything if it doesn't work right out of the box. There are a few shop owners on this forum as well, they have some great insights into the DIY vs Shop scenarios. The stuff you have chosen has lent itself to a DIY application. A lot of it will be plug and play, it's just finding the time to run the wires and fabricate an amp board. The guys over at 5 Star Car Stereo(Youtube channel) have done a ton of f150's. It might be similar to what you are wanting to achieve. Installing your equipment is very rewarding and can be frustrating. Either way you go, your equipment list will blow your factory stuff out of the water! Good Luck!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Lots of help in here! Knowing where you live would likely help find out if any members are in your area. Also, I believe Crutchfield has detailed installation sheets geared toward DIYers for almost any vehicle for $10-$15, and I think that includes their installers support, either by chat or phone. Just another resource to consider. Another thing to consider might be to do as much as you can on your own, like sound deadening, running wires, installing door speakers, sub box, and amp, then see what the cost might be for a shop to physically hook up and tune. Although, at that point, members on here can probably guide you through that pretty easily.
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyt View Post
    Not sure where you live. I can tell you the Best Buy by my house has an incredible car audio install department and they've been extremely clean removing the entirety of the interior moldings to do my daughter's rear back up camera, plus removing the center console on it to access the reverse switch on the trans for it as well. I did NOT want to remove the center console at all. Not to say I couldn't so it, just that they do it all the time and it would take me far too long, more than one day like they had it done. It was a 2001 Toyota 4runner if you're familiar with them. If you go on there website and look at what installation covers, it will cover the speakers, the amp, and the head unit. The stealth box is just putting a box under the seat with the sub in it? Since Best Buy isn't answering the phone, at least in my area they don't seem to be. I would go to more than one store and deal with the install manager personally. I've got several around where I live, but the best one is actually by my house. This is a case by case basis I believe in this instance.
    Unfortunately Best Buy’s total tech membership doesn’t include installation of component speakers, so they’re charging custom labor rates for both my front and rear speakers.

My truck has stock front component speakers already, but the stock rear speakers are coaxial. I didn’t realize when I was purchasing those rear speakers that I was getting component as I had intended on getting coaxial to limit any custom labor.

The LOC and bass knob are also not included in the total tech membership so custom labor rates for those too.

Best Buy told me that since I have a 5 channel amp, but only a 4 channel LOC, that I’d need to buy another LOC for the sub channel. Maybe that’s true or maybe it’s not as nowhere else mentioned that to me when I was calling around asking for install estimates after providing my list of equipment to them.

As far as the sub, I’m assuming it’s just running the wire from the amp to the sub, and placing the sub under the seat.

7. Back To Top    #7

2019 F250 Crew Cab

So after I typed my initial comment here, the seller reached out to me and offered a $400 credit to avoid me returning the non special order items. I couldn’t even believe how incredibly nice that was of them to do that as I hadn’t even considered that as a possibility.

After calling around and getting some estimates from other local car audio places, I decided to use the $400 credit to help pay for the installation.

When calling around, I found it interesting that the estimates received were nowhere close in price between shops. One place estimated it at at least $1,600 and another place estimated it at no more than $850. I’m guessing the huge fluctuation in price came down to who wanted the work and who didn’t, or maybe it was who was the most familiar with the equipment I bought.

The $850 place knew exactly what I bought just by hearing the model numbers.

When I initially bought everything, the seller thought I had the factory Sony system so he thought I needed a specific LOC (the one I listed above), but later found out that I needed something entirely different because I don’t have the factory Sony system. When I told the $850 place I had the first LOC, he immediately knew that was the wrong LOC for my truck so that reminded me that I previously exchanged it for a different one.

I guess he made me feel like he knew what he was doing and gave me confidence that his shop would do things correctly. I’m glad it was the $850 shop that gave me confidence instead of the $1,600+ shop, otherwise I’d be torn on who to go to.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone’s responses. I chatted with Crutchfield this morning to see if they had detailed instructions on how to install the items I purchased, but they told me no. They said they have instructions on how to remove the factory items, which I guess might be able to be used in reverse order to install new equipment but due to my huge number of questions I’m just going to pay to have it done.

Last edited by Chris72; 07-20-2020 at 08:01 PM.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

Sucks that Best Buy couldn't help, they did all mine for free under that, maybe it depends how they are in the store, not sure if the guys did something extra for me? It's good that you got things worked out and that Crutchfield extended themselves like they did, not having to do anything like that. Send some pics when it's done.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    Corolla

Chris, good luck with your install, I know it might seem overwhelming but with the help of this Forum and online tutorials I think you can do it. One other thing I would note is that you have posted your address in this thread and there are people who scour the Net for info like that...just food for thought.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Donanon View Post
    Chris, good luck with your install, I know it might seem overwhelming but with the help of this Forum and online tutorials I think you can do it. One other thing I would note is that you have posted your address in this thread and there are people who scour the Net for info like that...just food for thought.
    Thanks, I submitted a report to ask for the attachment with my address to be removed. After posting that, I realized that I had posted the old list of equipment when the seller thought I had either the Sony or B&O system in my truck, so I exchanged all of that equipment for a list of different stuff.

Here's the new list:

1. FSB1501 (Speaker bracket)
    2. FSB1502 (Speaker bracket)
    3. ME M2KIT4B (amp wiring kit)
    4. 3 packs of speaker wire (2 at 16g, 1 at 12g)
    5. ME M217 (2) (RCA wires, 17')
    6. PAC LP54 (LOC)
    7. DRC205 (bass knob)
    8. VXIBTC (Bluetooth interface to control amp via smartphone)
    9. MM MDMSK (2) (sound damping)

As for doing it myself, I'd really like to do it but I just have soooooo many questions.

Maybe I'll ask a few and see if I become more comfortable with the idea of doing it myself.

What order should these items be installed? My guess is below.
    1. Front/Rear speakers
    2. Sound damping front/rear doors
    3. LOC
    4. Amp
    5. Install the Bluetooth interface to allow control of the VXi amp via my iphone.
    6. Tune the amp to get sound from front/rear speakers
    7. Stealthbox
    8. Retune amp due to adding sub (not sure if this is required or not, just completely guessing)
    9. Install bass knob

Let's take each one of those individually

Front/Rear speakers

1. Remove door panels
    2. Remove factory speakers
    3. Remove factory speaker bracket
    4. Install new speaker bracket
    5. Run wire from Head Unit to crossover
      1. I've read that crossovers aren't always needed/wanted. Should I use them?
      2. should the speaker wires be swapped at this point? I bought 3 sets of speaker wires at the direction of Custom Sounds. Is this when I use them?

6. Run a new wire from each crossover to each speaker
    7. Install new speakers
    8. For rear speakers, find location to install tweeter since there's not a factory tweeter in the rear
      1. What do I use to cut the panel to flush mount the tweeter?

Sound damping
    1. Have no idea what this involves, but I think I could watch a video on YouTube and figure it out.

LOC/Amp/Bluetooth interface

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal
    2. Remove panel to gain access to the back of the Head Unit
    3. Run wires (speaker wires?) from the Head Unit to the LOC
      1. The LOC I bought is 4 channel. Best Buy told me I needed to buy another single channel LOC to be in between the HU and the amp for the subwoofer (5th channel). Is that true?
      2. Run wires from the LOC to the amp

4. Run the power wire from the amp kit through the firewall to connect to the battery(positive or negative terminal?)/amp
    5. Install fuse
      1. Not sure if my amp kit came with one or not. What size fuse should I use?

6. Someone mentioned above I'd need to fabricate an amp board.
      1. Is that to attach the amp to? I thought it would just be attached to the floorboard under a seat or something

7. Install the amp
      1. Where should the amp be installed? Under a seat? Behind the rear seats?
      2. I think I need to find a place to ground the amp, correct?

8. Install the Bluetooth interface
      1. I have no idea what this involves. I'm assuming there's a wire that connects the bluetooth interface hardware to the amp

9. Run speaker wires from the amp to the speaker locations (maybe this is where I'm supposed to use the sets of speaker wire I purchased)
    10. Turn on the stereo to make sure amp turns on and check sound. I've been told that without doing a tune, the amp I bought will not provide any sound whatsoever, so I will probably have to do a tune somehow here

Sub

1. Run wire from amp to sub location
    2. Install sub
    3. Turn on stereo to check for sound again
    4. retune?

Bass Knob
    1. I have no idea what this connects to. Does it connect to the amp?

Is any of that right?
    Last edited by Chris72; 07-21-2020 at 11:00 AM.