Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 MX-5 / Miata Build

1. Back To Top    #91
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Re: 2010 MX-5 / Miata Build

I haven't really been following the APL threads because I feel most of it is above my head... but I have a question:

When I'm measuring and correcting with REW/MiniDSP; there are nulls that eq boosting barely touch... nulls due to listener position / cabin geometry I assume. I notice that your corrected responses seam to have those types of nulls corrected. Is this the case?

2. Back To Top    #92

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    Fucking SWEET !
    That's why I didn't do the testing you asked ab out in the PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthunter View Post
    I haven't really been following the APL threads because I feel most of it is above my head... but I have a question:

When I'm measuring and correcting with REW/MiniDSP; there are nulls that eq boosting barely touch... nulls due to listener position / cabin geometry I assume. I notice that your corrected responses seam to have those types of nulls corrected. Is this the case?
    In short: Yes.

You must understand that REW and APL Workshop are measuring different things. In REW you have a couple basic types of measurements. You can run a single sweep, from a single point in space, and the information gained from that will show you amplitude(volume), phase, group delay, cool waterfall plots, and so on. Those things are useful, but the single point in space is a limitation. If you want to work around the single point limitation, you can play Pink Noise from the signal generator, and use the RTA window to average the response over several points in space. The problem with this method is that you are ONLY getting an amplitude average, and nothing else. Even if you could measure all those things, do you have the tools to manipulate m ore than just amplitude?

APL Workshop measures amplitude, phase, and group delay, like REW does, but it measures it in multiple points in space. So for a typical 5-minute tuning session I'll actually measure those three things in 200+ points in space, covering the whole listening area. It then processes the data and spits out an FIR file that can actually correct amplitude, phase, and group delay. Because it can adjust these things every 6Hz, it can do quite a good job at stomping out these peaks and nulls. If the peaks and nulls still exist, they will be narrow enough that they don't really matter anymore.

What's better than how everything measures after applying the filters, is how it changes the sound. It's pretty damn cool, and why I'm such a fan, and don't mind the price.

3. Back To Top    #93
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Quote Originally Posted by LumbermanSVO View Post

In short: Yes.

You must understand that REW and APL Workshop are measuring different things. In REW you have a couple basic types of measurements. You can run a single sweep, from a single point in space, and the information gained from that will show you amplitude(volume), phase, group delay, cool waterfall plots, and so on. Those things are useful, but the single point in space is a limitation. If you want to work around the single point limitation, you can play Pink Noise from the signal generator, and use the RTA window to average the response over several points in space. The problem with this method is that you are ONLY getting an amplitude average, and nothing else. Even if you could measure all those things, do you have the tools to manipulate m ore than just amplitude?

APL Workshop measures amplitude, phase, and group delay, like REW does, but it measures it in multiple points in space. So for a typical 5-minute tuning session I'll actually measure those three things in 200+ points in space, covering the whole listening area. It then processes the data and spits out an FIR file that can actually correct amplitude, phase, and group delay. Because it can adjust these things every 6Hz, it can do quite a good job at stomping out these peaks and nulls. If the peaks and nulls still exist, they will be narrow enough that they don't really matter anymore.

What's better than how everything measures after applying the filters, is how it changes the sound. It's pretty damn cool, and why I'm such a fan, and don't mind the price.
    Thanks you for that concise and easy to understand explanation. Hopefully this technology becomes more & more accessible, affordable, and user friendly in the future. I'd buy it for sure.

4. Back To Top    #94

Quote Originally Posted by Truthunter View Post
    Thanks you for that concise and easy to understand explanation. Hopefully this technology becomes more & more accessible, affordable, and user friendly in the future. I'd buy it for sure.
    I wouldn't count on this tech spreading any time soon. Raimonds developed the tech himself, and it looks like his last businesses partner screwed him over, so he is hesitant to work with anyone else. it seems that the patent would have to run out, and then someone would have to reverse engineer it correctly before the tech shows up in other devices. I do think that Raimonds and Andy(AudioFrog) would make for a great partnership, but that is just a pipe dream.

Also, don't count on it getting easier to use. The software isn't really written for consumers, it is written for touring pro's who don't need a simple GUI and are comfortable working in a more complex console. If you think the APL software is tough, try this: V5.0.0 (password is "admin") I'm a pro video guy, and this video software is actually one of the easiest pieces of software I use. While the APL software looks complex, the learning curve isn't that bad, and you can have pretty awesome results fairly quickly with it.

5. Back To Top    #95

I pulled the amp on the 4th to send it back to JL. Yesterday I put the amp in the car real quick to make sure I had saved the tune, and managed to scratch it in those few minutes, grrr.

This morning I was almost run over by some douche waffle in a pickup:
    https://youtu.be/ouTPnIr04HI

6. Back To Top    #96

JL received the amp early this week, hopefully I hear something from them soon.

In the meantime, I've ordered a pair of ID8's and I got permission from the wood shop at work to use their tools. So soon I'll start mimicking this sub box: Soundwaves of Tampa, Florida (813) 849-1104 - Photo Gallery

Because I'll have dedicated subs handling the low end I'm also changing the mids, but not going smaller. I have a new pair of Steven Audio MB8-2's ready to go in the doors to replace the IDQ8's. These won't play as low as the IDQ's, but are more sensitive and play higher. So I should gain some output and make blending with the tweeters easier. You know, if they actually fit...

7. Back To Top    #97
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Quote Originally Posted by LumbermanSVO View Post

Today I picked up my new car. It looks great and I wouldn't be surprised to learn had it been garaged it's whole life. Everything at the dealer went super smooth, I was in and out in about 90 minutes, including the test drive. As soon as I let the clutch out I knew I was right in wanting one of these cars. What a wonderful piece of machinery to drive!
    She's a beaut !
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

8. Back To Top    #98

A pair of illusion C8's popped up for sale for a GREAT price recently and I bought them, they should arrive on Monday. I Guess I won't be using the Steven Audio MB8-2's after all, the Illusions should fit MUCH better! By the time the Illusions arrive my replacement JL amp will have arrived. Next week is looking up!

I have a window in the middle of next month where I should be able to build the box for the ID8's. So I should have a complete system by fall, woohoo!

9. Back To Top    #99

Opened up a package today.

10. Back To Top    #100
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Very nice!
    Are you not entertained?!?!