Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do y'all think of these for IB baffle duty?

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: What do y'all think of these for IB baffle duty?

responsive cone, light for the motor size.

any shorting ring/faraday work?

is the front plate thicker than it appears due to basket machining?

what is the mission for these middle pack, AE similar consumer target demographic?

2. Back To Top    #22

There's no shorting ring or Faraday work.

The top plate is 8mm thick. Nothing goes up into the basket.

I'm not aware of any "mission" with it. Especially since they didn't even exist a couple weeks ago. It's just his entry level driver that utilizes an energy flow specific pole motor similar to the SHD (which is the 4" coil, 5,000w rms monster).

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Stu
    Vehicle
    '02 Honda Accord

Hey Taylor, do any of the tantric subs implement that sort of technology?

Sent from my Springfield XD with love!

4. Back To Top    #24

The SHD is the only one that I know of that utilizes a shorting ring. If the others don't, it's for a reason.

The upcoming "UHD" will also feature a shorting ring. But I'm sure no one on this board is interested in a 100lb cobalt motor. Lol.

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Stu
    Vehicle
    '02 Honda Accord

Cobalt?!
    That stuff will kill you.

Sent from my Springfield XD with love!

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorFade View Post

I'm not aware of any "mission" with it. Especially since they didn't even exist a couple weeks ago.
    I don't know why, but I spit a bit of drink and can totally relate with this statement.

7. Back To Top    #27

Permendur or Hiperco 50, or whatever, is the stuff used in Lowther drivers. Apparently the stuff is pretty pricey but it's the highest magnetic conductive stuff to make motors with.

using it in a stacked configuration like JBL's Everest or whatever, midranges, could achieve measurable advances in the "what's possible" department.

I would think blanks could be made from hydro-stamped mold that would keep the machining down, but the government has a market restriction on cobalt?

I hope neodymium drops from it's excessively priced import status, as China's the main supply..

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Till neo drops price, without mad tooling, ferrite is still king. Stacking sure looks cool, but the name of the game is putting a strong field in the gap.

And honestly, those putting "slug" after "slug" on the backside of a frame are not necessarily doing that.

There's a LOT of math involved in getting that gap symmetric and right (that's what she said) and these guys stacking magnets on ebay are not of the finest.

Some copper in the motor wold not hurt... AE and Fi seems to have the IB sub market cornered.... There are home users too.

Just sayin... The price point in production is kinda low due to the smaller motor........
    Last edited by chad; 08-04-2013 at 05:12 PM.

9. Back To Top    #29

Not to derail the thread away from the LD or IB in general, but just wanted to touch on the cobalt thing.

I'm not sure if this is a "grade" of cobalt or a type or whatever, but I know its Sumarian cobalt and we've already tested a prototype in a radial design. The motor architecture isn't exactly new, but this is just the easiest way to make a radial motor and like I said, it was just to test materials.

Those are cobalt slugs up near the top of the structure. And let me tell you, the motor force is nothing to be trifled with. This thing was nasty.

10. Back To Top    #30

samarium cobalt, is a 28 MgOe or whatever, material

costly, they were used in the dome midranges of the Infinity polydome series

more powah than ferrite, but not as strong as neodymium.

there are natural structural dimensional criteria for magnetic substances, or substrate.

like, alnico likes a rod form factor, samarium cobalt I don't know, neodymium works well in blanks, I guess it matters how they sinter the material while it's being forged or baked.

it's funny stuff, how you can break a magnet and the piece that breaks off has a north and a south orientation...