Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: so, i dropped some essque on that fool..........

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Re: so, i dropped some essque on that fool..........

That's really cool. It is definitely fun to enlighten people about the hobby in that way. Especially when it brings another person into the fold who then can enjoy it as well.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

My dad, referencing a set of Vifa XT25's in the sail panels after looking around...

"Ok, I've been listening to this thing for an hour and a half and still cannot figure out how you are getting so much goddamn big sound out of those little fucking speakers."

3. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-FiDelity View Post
    Too Long; Didn't Read.
    Cool, I got it now......I don't like missing any of al's sharp wit!

4. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    My dad, referencing a set of Vifa XT25's in the sail panels after looking around...

"Ok, I've been listening to this thing for an hour and a half and still cannot figure out how you are getting so much goddamn big sound out of those little fucking speakers."
    Mega tweets dog, ya didn't know?!

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post

All cable repairmen can do it.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by claydo View Post
    Mega tweets dog, ya didn't know?!

Mad excursion.

7. Back To Top    #17

Ok, now he has approached me talking bout upgrades.........hook, line and sinker!

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

You're his essque pusher

9. Back To Top    #19

Oh yea, I think he's got the bug........he's talking about visiting a shop......he wanted to know who did mine...oh he has a long journey ahead of him. I told him if he goes to a shop, do research before his trip, because they may see ya comin......and try to prey on his inexperience. He's like, na, I got this! Poor fellas gonna probably drop a wad.......

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

You know, this story reminds me of a fella I ran into a few years back. At the time, I was still rocking the yellow Lancer. I had gone to his place as a courtesy to do some work on the phone system my company had installed in his home. It was a nice "McMansion" out in the suburbs and the first thing I noticed when I walked in was a very sweet Klipsch tower setup in the living room- This fellow had a really nice home theater setup. While being walked around to the different rooms to do some work, one of those was a separate 'listening' room filled with a plethora of tube amps, turntables and vinyl and a massive cd collection. I want to say his speakers were Wilson's but I can't recall. I inquired and complimented on the nice setup and we began talking about audio. I told him my passion was car audio and how hard it was to get a system to sound even as close to good as a decent home setup. After I was finished up, he took me out to the garage/driveway and said "have a listen to this". He opened up a Hummer H2 and I hopped in. He had an alpine double din head unit, Focal Polykevlars in the doors front and rear running off passives and a 12" focal in the trunk. I smiled and gave some feedback kindly, but honestly was not even remotely impressed. There was no attention to tuning done by the shop that installed it and it sounded slightly better than a decent stock system with a little more bass. Not bad if that's what you're looking for and you spend $500 or so to get there. But then he tells me about this "top of the line, $5K system" and I was shocked.
    I had been working on testing and just getting some equipment rough installed in the Lancer at the time. My setup consisted of HAT L4's and L1pro's in ghetto'd kick enclosures, Peerless SLS8's in the doors, a DRZ head unit and some old Xtant m series amps running it. My doors looked like hell, covered in filler, but I told him to hop on in, knowing that this isn't a finished product yet. I put on a few different demo tracks from the focal discs and included one or two from Bob Marley's "Legend" disc as he was very familiar with it. He was absolutely amazed at the sound in the vehicle. Without saying anything to him, he offered up that he could hear very good staging and center image and asked how I managed to do that in a car. I went on for a bit about the DRZ and it's active processing and time alignment. He raved about the terrific sound of the speakers and was asking about the equipment I used. I went down the list, assuring him that he probably wouldn't know many/any of the manufacturers by name (which he didn't, and I can't blame him- Hey Hybrid Audio Technologies was a young startup at that point and most smaller car audio manufacturers don't play in the home realm anyway these days). After I went down the list he started looking around with a puzzled look. He asked "is your sub in the trunk then?" I said, "what sub?" lol. The response and impact I was getting with the 8" midbasses in the doors sounded much better and fuller than his setup did so he was shocked that there was no sub to be found. It was fun to open up someones eyes like that to car audio. Especially someone who was a big home audio fan and had never experienced a good sounding car. It was indeed possible! And after he found out that my equipment cost about a third of what his system did, he was even more impressed