Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bosh, Dewalt, or PC router for JessEm lift.

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Bosh, Dewalt, or PC router for JessEm lift.

That's like saying a Chevrolet is built by Cadillac; while not incorrect if they are assembled at the same plant it still misrepresents the fact that General Motors makes both. Black and Decker technically makes both. And just because they may be made at the same facility doesn't mean they are the same components......

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Bo
    Vehicle
    13 Subaru BRZ & 18 Audi RS3

I hear what you are saying. I'm passing on what was told to me by the folks at Wood Werks. Whenever they get a Dewalt router for warranty repair they ship it to Porter Cable for repair. They said the internals are identical and it's just an outer shell casing difference. They also said some Porter Cable tools are built by Dewalt and get shipped to Dewalt for repair. If one of the the owned companies does something amazing, that company builds that tool for all the owned brands of the parent.

3. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    I hear what you are saying. I'm passing on what was told to me by the folks at Wood Werks. Whenever they get a Dewalt router for warranty repair they ship it to Porter Cable for repair. They said the internals are identical and it's just an outer shell casing difference. They also said some Porter Cable tools are built by Dewalt and get shipped to Dewalt for repair. If one of the the owned companies does something amazing, that company builds that tool for all the owned brands of the parent.
    Not at all- that's the purpose of product management and marketing. There are some economies of scale involved to improve cost of good sold, but each brand within the parent company has differentiation for the price point and/or the channel of distribution. Rarely are truly identical products just rebadged for different product lines- there are differences that matter to someone. Much like the "ubuy amplifiers". same board design for several brands built; but each big brand contracting them has different component specs and a different design for heat sink/case as well as connections. Those components on the boards do make a difference, whether it be performance or reliability and whether the consumer can tell the difference or not- they often are different on some level.

Much like automotive groups now. Lamborghini builds an amazing super car, so does Bentley in the uber luxury group- but Audi, Volkswagen, Porsche are still built in their own plants- often with the same components mixed in. The Audi R8 vs Lamborghini Hurican- same engine trans and drivetrain; different cars from different plants at different price points for different consumers......

4. Back To Top    #14

PC router came in today and hope to get it in the bench this week.