Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Class D Amps? What to Choose?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

Changing Class D Amps? What to Choose?

My current setup, listed also in my sig, is a 4 way active system with the front 6 channels being powered by a pair of PPi Phantom amps, High and Mid on a 900.4 and Low on a 600.2. A pair of Sundown SD-3 D4 10's are connected to a 1000.1 mono amp at 1 ohm. These were decent budget amps but I have always planned on moving up in quality at some point. Now I am considering if I have come to that time.

Aside from wanting better quality electronics, the side-mounted controls and connections pose an issue in my install and an amp that moves those to the bottom would be ideal, see pic below.

I'm also pressed for space since the current amps just barely fit, both in length and width. Two amp lines that I am considering are JL XD amps and Arc Audio XDi. Moving down to two amps is also appealing so a 800/8 and 1000.1 or 1200.6 and 1100.1 both seem like great combos. The XD mono amp won't work with my 1 ohm requirement and doesn't put out enough power at 4 ohms so that weighs against them.

What I am looking for is feedback on either of those two options or recommendations for other ones that might fit my needs. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: Changing Class D Amps? What to Choose?

I think the XD amps are great amps but I'd highly suggest NOT buying them refurb like I did my 800/8. I've heard some of them have sporadic floor noise and could very well be why mine was sold as a refurb. It might not have this noise in the new install when the alternator kicks in hard but it was there in the Ram. Wiring was also packed tight with everything under the front shotgun seat. That's one of the reasons I pulled it off the selling block when I had all my equipment out of the Ram for sale even though there was a disclaimer about it. I don't like running anything at 1 ohm but it's sounding like the XDi amps are your better choice for that reason, and you'll enjoy the headroom on the mids and tweets.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

There is a nice write up on the 1200.6 on the main page of Diyma.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    I think the XD amps are great amps but I'd highly suggest NOT buying them refurb like I did my 800/8. I've heard some of them have sporadic floor noise and could very well be why mine was sold as a refurb. It might not have this noise in the new install when the alternator kicks in hard but it was there in the Ram. Wiring was also packed tight with everything under the front shotgun seat. That's one of the reasons I pulled it off the selling block when I had all my equipment out of the Ram for sale even though there was a disclaimer about it. I don't like running anything at 1 ohm but it's sounding like the XDi amps are your better choice for that reason, and you'll enjoy the headroom on the mids and tweets.
    I am open to either buying new or used, but would steer away from refurbished. The XD's have been on my radar for sometime but the holdup on the ohm load for the sub amp could be cured by re-coning the SD3's into a D2 configuration. I've already emailed Sundown for details on that. 1000 watts at 2 ohms would be preferable to me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
    There is a nice write up on the 1200.6 on the main page of Diyma.
    That write up is what had me seriously considering them. I have no experience with Arc but feedback from those who've run their gear is usually very positive.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Jon/Jonnie
    Vehicle
    2007 Cobalt

I have the original acr xdi V1's, they are ok amps- I like the pheonix gold amps better. My local dealer says the newer series xdi's are way better. sadly I just passed on good deals for a 450.4 and 650.1 at $200 each on the new ones

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

One thing I will say about the JL's is there's something special about how they run the speakers. The XD made my Mosconi One series amps sound "just OK". The control your speakers get from the XD is something you have to hear for yourself to fully understand. Babs will be a good one to talk to about this since he went from the NVX version of your amps to PDX amps and is now running the XD's.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

What about Ground Zero reference amplifiers ?
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

Quote Originally Posted by dejo View Post
    I have the original acr xdi V1's, they are ok amps- I like the pheonix gold amps better. My local dealer says the newer series xdi's are way better. sadly I just passed on good deals for a 450.4 and 650.1 at $200 each on the new ones
    Those were some good prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    One thing I will say about the JL's is there's something special about how they run the speakers. The XD made my Mosconi One series amps sound "just OK". The control your speakers get from the XD is something you have to hear for yourself to fully understand. Babs will be a good one to talk to about this since he went from the NVX version of your amps to PDX amps and is now running the XD's.
    That's what I keep hearing about the XD line. For the price point and quality I think they may be the best value to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    What about Ground Zero reference amplifiers ?
    Very nice but most likely out of my budget.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

What about the Zapco ST-D, ST-D.BT, or ST-X amplifiers? They have some stout five channel amps on those lineups, that I believe put out 500 watts at 2-ohms on the sub channels.

Edit - guess they were overrated before release, only seeing 350 watts at 2 ohms on the sub channels listed now. Could swear they bragged about 550 watts at one time on those.
    Last edited by chithead; 12-12-2016 at 06:37 AM.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    What about the Zapco ST-D, ST-D.BT, or ST-X amplifiers? They have some stout five channel amps on those lineups, that I believe put out 500 watts at 2-ohms on the sub channels.

Edit - guess they were overrated before release, only seeing 350 watts at 2 ohms on the sub channels listed now. Could swear they bragged about 550 watts at one time on those.
    A buddy brought those to my attention. I'm going to look into those as well, think the controls/inputs are on the ends though.