Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaker & Port Position Question

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Joe
    Vehicle
    2004 Toyota Corolla S

Speaker & Port Position Question

I have been tasked by my buddy to build him an enclosure to put a pair of low level 15's in his 98 4-door Explorer. I have built plenty of simple, sealed boxes in the past, but want to try my hand at a ported one this time around. The maximum dimensions he gave me to use are 40W x 40L x 13H. That being said, what would most likely be the best configuration for his situation? Speakers up / Port up? Speakers up / Port back? Vertical or horizontal port? Etc. Once again, Thank is advance for any and all opinions.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Joe
    Vehicle
    2004 Toyota Corolla S

Re: Speaker & Port Position Question

Sorry.....I accidentally posted this in the wrong section. Hopefully a moderator can delete it for me.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

No Bass for you!!! One year!!!

Just kidding. We have some super cool mod dudes that can fix it.

40x40x13 eh? Sounds like it will need to be subs and port facing up, especially being 15" subwoofers. Unless you put them on a pretty sharp angle towards the rear. Which could work.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

There are calculations that determine if a driver is suitable for up and down firing arrangements... For longevity one may want to utilize them.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Joe
    Vehicle
    2004 Toyota Corolla S

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    No Bass for you!!! One year!!!

Just kidding. We have some super cool mod dudes that can fix it.

40x40x13 eh? Sounds like it will need to be subs and port facing up, especially being 15" subwoofers. Unless you put them on a pretty sharp angle towards the rear. Which could work.
    I did a mock-up of the enclosure on Sketch-Up with help from WinISD, and was able to position the ports firing back, because that is what someone told me would be best. Would that be an issue with the subs facing up? I figured there are enough great minds on here to set me straight.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I would do ports either back or forward, just spin the box around to see which sounds best. Some subs don't have a suspension adequate to hold the cone when mounted up or down firing...it wants to sag under its own weight, and needs to be mounted vertically (or somewhere close to it).

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    There are calculations that determine if a driver is suitable for up and down firing arrangements... For longevity one may want to utilize them.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...40915558,d.cGc

Kelvin

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Joe
    Vehicle
    2004 Toyota Corolla S

Tried my best to use WinISD and SketchUp correctly, did some math, and came up with this. Subs will be mounted on top, firing up. Any thoughts? Don't hold back.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Are the seats raised? I only have 7 inches toward the back of the cab and 11 to the front off the seat. Are you countersinking the sub into the box to account for excursion? I'm certainly not the expert, I'm simply reiterating the questions I fielded when I was designing my underseat box. A bunch of the actual guys who know what they are doing will be here shortly with more questions, and some awesome answers for you!

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Joe
    Vehicle
    2004 Toyota Corolla S

Quote Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
    Are the seats raised up? I only have 7 inches toward the back of the cab and 11 to the front off the seat. Are you countersinking the sub into the box to account for excursion? I'm certainly not the expert, I'm simply reiterating the questions I fielded when I was designing my underseat box. A bunch of the actual guys who know what they are doing will be here shortly with more questions, and some awesome answers for you!
    Actually, the enclosure is going all the way back up against the rear hatch. I was given maximum measurements of 40L x 40W x 13H. The reason he gave me a maximum height of 13" is because he wants to be able to unroll the factory package area cover over the box when he is not driving. Said he wants to try and keep it hidden from prying eyes when in parking lots and such.