Thread: Looking For HT Receiver Recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking For HT Receiver Recommendations

I was at the thrift store the other day and picked up some speakers so now I have enough to do a surround setup so I'm now looking for a new receiver since I only have a 2ch setup now. As far as features, I'd like something that will do at least 5.1.4 Atmos and would prefer the ability to do 7.1.4 even if I need a separate amp to do so. I'd also like at least 1 HDCP2.2 pass through, a phono input and preamp outputs for at least the front channels and ideally all channels. I'd like enough inputs to hook up all of my old video game systems (NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Genesis, Dreamcast, Jaguar, TG-16, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox and Xbox360) as well as a Blu-ray player and eventually a PC without having to us an external switcher but not sure there's anything out there with that many inputs. I don't really have a set budget but would like to keep it around or under $1000 if possible but can extend that if necessary. I'm open to preamps as well but it seems that most cost as much or more than a comparable receiver and I'm also not opposed to refurbished units. It's been ~10 years since I bought my last receiver so I'm not sure which brands to look at or stay away from so any help is appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Re: Looking For HT Receiver Recommendations

But no PS4? You'll probably be looking at newer receivers to get an HDCP 2.2 pass through. The problem is probably going to be that you will have enough digital inputs on a newer receiver, but not enough analog ones. The only brands I've had experience with are Yamaha and Onkyo. The Yamaha's have good processing, but sometimes come up a bit short on power and the Onkyo's have power, but get screaming ass hot.
    Last edited by Euphonic; 02-13-2017 at 07:45 AM.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Looking For HT Receiver Recommendations

Haven't thought about buying any new game systems since building a gaming PC, I'll consider a PS4 or Xbox 1 when I can pick them up for $100. I can get by without a ton of analog inputs as long as there's at least one composite and one component, I do have a switcher, I would just like to not have to use it. Haven't looked too much into Onkyo, seem to remember people complaining about problems with the hdmi switching, not sure if that's still an issue but the TX-NR1030 looks to have most of what I want for ~$800. Haven't looked much at Yamaha either but I think I can get them at a decent price through the Volutone account we have at work so I will look into them. Also forgot to mention that all of the surround speakers I got are 4 ohm so the receiver will need to be 4 ohm stable.