Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub Amp Sound Differences

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Sub Amp Sound Differences

Do you guys/gals think there are different sounding mono amps? I am assuming multi-channel have a specific signature, but it this also indicative of mono amps? I ask because I have 2 of the CAB amps to run subs, and now I'm wondering if I should have gone with something else.

Can any of you tell which brand of mono amp is running a set of subs simply by hearing it?

Should I be concerned, or should I just concentrate my efforts on my front stage?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: Sub Amp Sound Differences

I've heard some mono amps sound better than others. Mainly really cheap ones that would fall on their face because they wouldn't do anywhere close to rated power without distorting. On the flip side back when class d amps were still considered "dirty" power I've heard power house amps like the old JBL bp600.1 sound like crap and an a/b amp on the same sub sound completely different. As long as an amp is of at least decent quality it should sound fine. Power is cheap and class d topology has come a long way over the past 10-15 years.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Amps, especially mono amps, shouldn't color the sound...however, some amps have better damping factors which gives better control over the sub. Also, some amps are overreated and others underrated as far as power is advertised, so two amps that claim to be the same may actually be putting out different wattages. You also have different subsonic filters and crossovers which may change what you actually hear.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

All amps sound the same. True story.

Richard Clark $10,000 Amplifier Challenge FAQ
    Are you not entertained?!?!

5. Back To Top    #5

My opinion on amps is this:
    If the amp has a really crappy design where the FR and distortion are high (even when played below spec'd values) then it's garbage. Unfortunately sometimes you have to buy this stuff to know. Fortunately, these kind of amps are likely only of the really obviously-cheap variety (i.e.; flea market stuff).

Outside of those kind of amps, as long as you're using the amp within it's spec range then you're good. The only other spec that concerns me outside of power is SNR which is typically only an issue nowadays with high-efficiency speakers (pro audio stuff).

The tune and install are so far more important than amp specs when you're comparing apples to apples. IMHO.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Thank you guys for responding! That probably just saved me grand or so!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
    Thank you guys for responding! That probably just saved me grand or so!
    Lol! Don't worry, you'll find some other way to spend it in this hobby
    Last edited by danno14; 11-17-2016 at 09:37 PM.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

There's still value in buying a known quality amp. If you know the amp you're using is good quality you're hopefully a lot more likely to hang on to it instead of constantly searching for greener pastures. I've owned my share of turds and forum boners. I no longer own any of those amps.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

I bought the CAB's based on price per watt, and I was hoping I didn't hurt myself on the SQ side of things. If a great deal comes around for something else, I may just use them for a budget passive system with an equalizer...

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Agreed.. Go with an amp that you're going to not wonder about replacing. Too bad, I got that V9 5-ch but no mono's hanging around. I can say if anything, I can tell if an amp is simply cleaner or has more control over the sub.. The story I shared probably of switching from the NVX big whopper-watt mono amp to the V9 Alpine (FS in my other diyma thread). The control over the sub was noticeably better. Right on par with the XD's I'm running now.. So, doesn't take much to get into good reputable gear without having to buy Brax or Genesis or Sinfoni.. JL XD's and up and Alpine PDX's do just fine IMHO. But it was a lesson that taught me that the off-shelf "build-house" stuff that shows up under some of these brand-names, is what I want to avoid now.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did