Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting TOSLINK out of tablets and phones while charging the devices

1. Back To Top    #11
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Re: Getting TOSLINK out of tablets and phones while charging the devices

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    I will totally own one... I'd be even more stoked is Android OS supported Java.
    I'm running a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, and it seems to support OTG with charging.
    Sometimes it comes up and says it's charged, shows it's charging, and when I turn off the car
    it says like 46%. Periodically I bring it in the house and fully charge it on the house charger. Usually works fine for a month or more until I have to do it again.

Jay

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Charging current too low? 500ma is about as much as you are going to get out of standard USB, it's current limited.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Bo
    Vehicle
    13 Subaru BRZ & 18 Audi RS3

Going forward, I'd look for the device to have a USB C connector. Not only does orientation of the plug not matter(you can connect it with either end up) but it supports up to 100 watts of power through the cable according to the standard.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

"up to" being the operative words, note that USB chargers are 2+ amps... It's just that the USB standard for the data transfer protocol is 500ma... If there is a hub in there it's likely watering it down... Belkin powered hubs are notorious for throwing some meaty current though.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

I forget if my Nexus 7 had OTG charging out the box or if it was part of the ROM / kernel that I loaded. My biggest issue was finding a reliable enough power supply to use in the car that would both charge the Nexus as well as power a USB hub. I think I went through a couple cheap $5 supplies from eBay before settling on a DCDC-USB. The cool thing with the DCDC-USB is that it has a programmable output, I increased the voltage from 5v to 5.3v to accommodate for the loss in the cables and it charges quickly, almost always keeping the tablet at 100%. Additionally it has a pair of outputs, so I have one powering only the Nexus and the other powering the hub. I simply soldered on some female USB ports and plug the OTG Y-cable into one and the hub power into the other.

I use a Monoprice 4 port hub, hanging off of there I typically have a 128Gb flash drive, USB-DAC and Joycon for steering wheel controls. The DAC I use works fine with either optical or 3.5mm to RCA out.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Bo
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    "up to" being the operative words, note that USB chargers are 2+ amps... It's just that the USB standard for the data transfer protocol is 500ma... If there is a hub in there it's likely watering it down... Belkin powered hubs are notorious for throwing some meaty current though.
    Well, the new Mac Books are using USB C power supplies for 85 watts. I'd say they are pushing that limit already. You have to remember USB C is a new standard. The old restrictions for USB A do not apply.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Correct, but the current is limited by the receiving or transferring device... Namely the hub in this situation.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Bo
    Vehicle

Came across NEPlayer for iPad and iPhone. It will work through a USB DAC connected to the new camera kit for high res files played at high res. It does cost some money, but verified to work.