1. Back To Top    #81
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Re: Truthunter's 2015 Toyota Camry XLE V6

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    You're on! Can't wait!
    By the way thought I saw Erin had or shared a Twk88 FS on DIYMA. Might be here also. FYI. I'm personally a Helix fan myself but the JL's look very capable as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes, I saw Erin's ad. JL, Helix, New mini... Oh, my!

2. Back To Top    #82
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Pre-amp cables ran thru center console then under driver's seat to meet up with the driver's side speaker leads running down the driver's side. I wanted the keep them away from the majority of the factory wiring / fuse boxes / blower motors under the dash and in the kick panels.

3. Back To Top    #83
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Improvised profile tracer

Cut, routed, carpeted and mounted amp rack. This is kinda of temporary... just wanted something quick and easy to get things up and running for the gtg this weekend in VA.

Notes on rear seat removal:
    1. Remove seat cushion first by pulling up on front edge right in the center of the two side seating areas. Lift front edge up and slide forward at the same time.
    2. Then remove side bolsters by removing two bolts on the bottom and disconnect airbag connector (disconnect negative battery terminal first), then slide it up and out.
    3. Remove seat backs by removing 6 nuts underneath. Nuts are easier to reach if the seat backs are folded forward.

Re-install in reverse order.

4. Back To Top    #84
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Mounted the passives and connected everything up. Wanted to take my time with the wiring to be all nice and neat but again for the sake of getting things ready for the weekend, I just kinda connected it all up and tried to make it look somewhat presentable.

5. Back To Top    #85
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Ground. Sanded first. 0 ohms to battery negative cable.

6. Back To Top    #86
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Next moved to installing the mids/tweets

Dug out the Anderson Power Pole connectors from my RC Heli days:

7. Back To Top    #87
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Directly below where the mids will be sitting (in the stock tweeter locations) is hard plastic HVAC duct. Stuffed some leftover carpet padding in there... to maybe minimize reflections back up through the cone.

8. Back To Top    #88
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Installed the baffles I had cut several months ago using 3m clear mounting tape and sealed up minor gaps in the mating surfaces with weather stripping.

Applied that same highly compressible weather striping to the speaker mating surface and snapped them into place. Factory grills will need to be trimmed and wrapped in grill cloth but that will have to wait until after this weekends gtg.
    Temporarily mounted the tweets in the angle surface mount cups to the pillars with 3m clear mounting tape. Permanent plan is to have them in the sail panels but wanted to keep them close to the mids for now considering there is no discrete TA ability for them.... yet.

9. Back To Top    #89
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

I recently made some time to finally tinker around with REW and get more familiar with it. I downloaded it to my PC back in March and Scott (Babs) gave me a quick tutorial on using the RTA function at Ian's April Meet but I hadn't messed with it since then. I'm using a UMIK-1 and Uncorrelated pink noise. My only processing power at the moment is in the Alpine HU which has 6ch TA and 9 band PEQ with only 1/3 octave centers available. I set TA first by measuring, which came out very close to where Scott had set it by ear back in April. I then proceeded to take some measurements by moving the mic around my ears back and forth as Scott had showed me (and as I saw in youtube videos by Kyle Ragsdale). While attempting to make corrections to the response, I quickly realized the need for an external dsp with fully adjustable PEQs

So my first attempt at tuning with the tools available to me resulted in the following:
    Black is before any corrections and blue is after about 15min of adjusting/measuring/adjusting/measuring...

Overall it sounds better with the changes I've made so far but yeah, I got issues! Boost has no effect on that ~1.5k black hole. And I tried flipping polarity of the tweeter with no improvement. I also more positively sealed the dash up around the mid with mortite to prevent back waves from exiting the small holes for the factory grill clips. I'm 99% positive it's cancellation from reflections off the windshield. It's funny how the music actually sounds like it's being sucked into a black hole in the middle of my dash. It also sounds bloated which I think can be corrected with cuts in the ~100-800 area which I will attempt if I have enough eq power left to do it.

Next step is to pop the mid out of the dash and do some free air on axis measurements to verify the cancellation theory... Fabbing up some make shift dash pods may be in my future. I also plan on acquiring an external DSP, likely a TWK-88. Then would come relocating the tweeters to the sail panels as I would then have discrete TA ability for them.

So that's the direction I'm heading with this... please feel free to smack me upside the head if you feel I'm headed off track ...
    Last edited by Truthunter; 09-01-2017 at 04:32 PM.

10. Back To Top    #90
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Going to have to review this thread. A friend of mine just got a job as a rep, and he gets a company car. They are giving him a new Camry.
    Will be curious to see what you do to minimize the dip.

Jay