Thread: Truthunter's 2015 Toyota Camry XLE V6

1. Back To Top    #111
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Re: Truthunter's 2015 Toyota Camry XLE V6

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    I realize it may be a complete PITA to bring down this way, but if you have any around the time of either the NCSQ meet or VA meet I would love to take a couple sheets for the front doors.

And now I am off back to trying to find out what the mice ruined.....
    Yeah, I could probably bring a few sheets down... may have to cut them down to fit easier but shouldn't be a big deal.

Uhg, there is mouse that hangs out in my wife's car in the garage. It hasn't done any damage yet but it does leave some chocolate sprinkles on the console sometimes. One of our cats caught/killed a mouse in the house the other night so hopefully should take care of it.

2. Back To Top    #112
    Real Name
    Nick

Hey Ryan, let me know how much you want for the rest of the box. or at least after a few members pick some away from you.

3. Back To Top    #113
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Mousetrap ? Peanut butter/cheese or a sticky trap.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

4. Back To Top    #114
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Hey Ryan, let me know how much you want for the rest of the box. or at least after a few members pick some away from you.
    I'll email you...

5. Back To Top    #115
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    Mousetrap ? Peanut butter/cheese or a sticky trap.
    5 Cats

6. Back To Top    #116
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

So I took a little different approach to installing the insulation panels in my doors then I have seen others do.

The Roxul is basically pretty much water resistant. Water basically beads right up and rolls off of it like a fresh waxed car. Even though this is the case I still decided to wrap it in plastic for a few reasons. One reason is that it kinda lets off a bunch of particles/fibers when it is agitated or handled. I figure it will be very much agitated by the sound energy in my doors and I don't want those particles/fibers building up in the bottom part of the my doors. The other reason I chose to wrap it in plastic is, from doing some research and discussing with others, I learned that the plastic actually improves the lower frequency absorption creating sort of a bass trap. Another reason I chose to wrap it was the plastic provides a better surface to adhere foil tape to install it. I chose 3.5mil plastic sheeting.

I chose Gorilla Clear Repair tape to tape up the plastic. This tape is made for outdoor use. I feel it will basically stand up to moisture and temperature changes better than just packaging tape.

My doors will allow 2" of insulation in most areas. Since the Roxul AFB sheet that I bought is 1" thick; it will need to be double layered. I decided to adhere those layers together with DAP Weldwood contact cement. I also chose to adhere the plastic to the Roxul with the same product. I figure it will keep the plastic taught and adhered against the insulation not allowing it to loosely flutter to the mid-bass frequencies. Also I theorize doing this will help with that bass trap effect also.

First I measured, cut and test fit cardboard templates:

Then I transferred those shapes to the Roxul AFB and cut them:

Last edited by Truthunter; 01-25-2018 at 09:58 PM. Reason: photo links

7. Back To Top    #117
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Now here is where I got a little experimental:

There was some left over MLF scraps from lining my doors last year. I figure why not use those scraps to layer in between the layers of Roxul. My theory is these pieces of MLV will vibrate basically turning the back-wave acoustical energy into heat with the 1" thick Roxul on each side of it acting to decouple/dissipate ... Sort of like the idea of the MLV layer in those Black-Hole tiles or $oundskins Pro 3in1.

8. Back To Top    #118
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Way to try different things there. I wish I had your skills when I first started working on the car doors. Would have saved me a lot of suffering.

Hadn’t thought of the idea but guys I have like way too much OC703 1” sheets and I’ll be at NCSQ so if anyone needs some lemme know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

9. Back To Top    #119
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Truthunter View Post
    Yeah, I could probably bring a few sheets down... may have to cut them down to fit easier but shouldn't be a big deal.

Uhg, there is mouse that hangs out in my wife's car in the garage. It hasn't done any damage yet but it does leave some chocolate sprinkles on the console sometimes. One of our cats caught/killed a mouse in the house the other night so hopefully should take care of it.
    Thanks, if you do cut them up it's certainly not a problem. I think the biggest hole I have in the door skin is only about 10" across so I would need to cut them considerably anyway!! Our cat does not go in the garage, but she does catch any mice that make their way into the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Hadn’t thought of the idea but guys I have like way too much OC703 1” sheets and I’ll be at NCSQ so if anyone needs some lemme know.
    If Nick wants to take all the Roxul from Ryan (might be easier than him carting it down from NY to NC!!) then I will happily take a couple sheets, just let me know how much and I will grab them in April.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

10. Back To Top    #120
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Thanks, if you do cut them up it's certainly not a problem. I think the biggest hole I have in the door skin is only about 10" across so I would need to cut them considerably anyway!!
    One of the nice things about the Roxul is that it is not as rigid as the fiberglass panels. I was able to bend & twist it in order to fish it through the holes in my inner skin and around the window mechs inside the door to get it into position.

If Nick wants to take all the Roxul from Ryan (might be easier than him carting it down from NY to NC!!) then I will happily take a couple sheets, just let me know how much and I will grab them in April.
    Either way works for me... but your right about it being less a hassle than for me to cart it down there
    Last edited by Truthunter; 01-26-2018 at 09:59 AM.