Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some bass help!

1. Back To Top    #11
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Re: Need some bass help!

After driving around a bit with the latest setup, there are other issues now, a lot of the stage to me sounds as though it is much louder on the right, vocals don't seem to stay in one spot but drift left depending on the frequency. I matched left/right levels using my phone and the Dayton iMM-6 microphone playing pink noise. I flipped the phase on my midbass at the amp (versus just in the DSP) and it made no difference. I did discover that the left midbass is quiet in the drivers seat, the right quiet in the passengers seat. So, I think they are both playing fine just some kind of cancellation happening on the seat I am sitting in.

Not entirely sure what direction to go in now, I think I am going to try to find someone reasonably local who is more experienced at tuning than I am, along with seeing if I can borrow a USB microphone from someone to try using REW. Might also go ahead and reset all the settings on the DSP and start fresh.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

If you have around $80 to spend the umm6 is a great tool to have at your disposal any time you need it. I just got done with my first tune with the use of an rta and it was a big success. Just hop in with a fully charged battery on the lappy and put a "do not disturb" sign on your car. Kyle Ragsdale has some great tuning tutorials on YouTube. I got each pair playing as close to identical to each other as possible and worried about the tonality curve later. It's a lot of work and a lot like doing surgery but it's worth it in the end. There's a lot that your ears aren't able to pick up on without measurement equipment unless they're highly trained. You'll be shocked at just how messed up each side is without a lot of surgical l/r eq.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Been watching Kyle's videos for a while now, very very helpful!! I will likely pick up a UMM6 at some point. For now seeing how far I can get with AudioTool and a Dayton iMM-6. Looks like the hardest piece with it is comparing Left and Right speakers, it is possible, just not as easy as with REW/RTA. Here is how things currently look:

This is taken with my phone running AudioTool at ear height, a big dip around 500Hz and a spike around 8000Hz:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20161012-200234.png 
Views:	257 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	5472

This on the other hand was taken with my Nexus 7, mounted in the dash, also running AudioTool. The curve looks good other than the spike around 700Hz. Obviously though since this is not at ear height, it's pretty much useless. Just kind of funny to show the difference between ear height and where the "head unit" is mounted:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161012_194354.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	370.8 KB 
ID:	5471

Going to measure with my phone again either later today or tomorrow to try and figure out the dip and what is causing it, along with knocking down the peak at 8KHz. The dip is a little below where my midbass/midrange crossover is set. 99% certain all the speakers are in phase.

Slowly making improvements, I essentially saved what I had and then restarted following along with the steps on Kyle's videos as best I can with the equipment I have available to me. Vocals still wander left on higher frequencies, but it is getting there. Now if only work did not get in the way I could go spend some more time on it....
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Yup, that reading at ear height looks about right for something that's uncorrected. A vehicle cabin is a TERRIBLE room for listening to musicYou're tuning mostly for the room in a vehicle as you probably already know.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Sorting out the 8KHz peak should be fairly simple, it's the dip that I am not sure about without resorting to boosting those frequencies.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Boosting is something you do and learn to work around the issues it can cause but don't tell anyone what you did. Just leave enough room for that boost to do its thing without clipping. It can be your dirty little secret

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Bo
    Vehicle
    13 Subaru BRZ & 18 Audi RS3

Check and see if that floating voice moves with volume. If it does then it may very well be a reflection issue.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Check and see if that floating voice moves with volume. If it does then it may very well be a reflection issue.
    Worth a check! I suspect that it does move with volume, sometimes I can be listening to something and it sound fine. I can then listen later at a different volume and it sound off.

Have a Dayton UMM-6 microphone on the way, so I can at least start working with REW. I think I could get close with AudioTool and the iMM-6 I already have. But, the scale in the app coupled with the small size of my phone screen makes it a little tough. Just wish Amazon would get on and ship it, hoping it will be here by Friday since I will have some time after work to spend on it.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Bo
    Vehicle
    13 Subaru BRZ & 18 Audi RS3

If you do discover that it does indead change location with volume, then no amount of EQ will fix it. You need to adjust the aiming of the speakers producing that frequency.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    You need to adjust the aiming of the speakers producing that frequency.
    Hopefully that does not turn out to be the case, no real way to adjust the aim of my speakers since they are in stock locations. The mid's are in the kick panels and may have some slight adjustment available, but for the most part the locations are pretty fixed.

Dayton mic arrived Saturday, I had hoped to start taking some measurements earlier today but my laptop decided it needed to do a giant update which took well over an hour. Finally got that done, plugged in the BitOne and the software told me a dll file was missing and so it would not start. Removed and re-installed the drivers, finally got the software started. Plugged in the microphone, removed all the crossover settings from the speakers, started REW, tried a sweep and got an error of "Very low signal detected on measured" so at that point I said screw it and quit for the day. Gonna see if I can find some time Wednesday to start again!
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix