Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some bass help!

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Need some bass help!

Yesterday while tuning I noticed that if I leaned forward in my seat, that the bass got substantially louder. Thinking it was my sub I decided to play an 80Hz test tone and tinker around with the time alignment to see if I could pull it back more towards the listening position. However, with all the speakers but the sub muted, the bass from the sub appears plenty loud enough in the drivers seat.

So, I decided to check the midbass. Right only, sounds fine, plenty loud. However, with just the left midbass playing it sounds as if it is coming from my passenger footwell (along with a rattling grill which I will have to fix) and I have to lean forward to really hear it. So, my issue might actually be with the left midbass. I flipped the phase in the DSP which made no noticeable difference. I measured and use the tracerite website to get time alignment values. Overall everything sounds good, wide and up on the dash. Just the bass in the drivers seat is lacking unless leaned forward about 20".

Any suggestions? I am debating trying to source a mic and using REW, but hoping to at least get on the right track without it.

Thanks.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Re: Need some bass help!

I'd be curious about angle of midbass driver
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

This ^^^ and do you have a pretty tall center console?
    Are you not entertained?!?!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    I'd be curious about angle of midbass driver
    The midbass are in the doors, firing straight out. Not the easiest to see in this picture below, but if you look where the door pocket ends you can just make out the speaker grill (D shaped piece). Not that I think it matters with this, but tweeters are in stock locations at the top of the door and midrange are in the kick panels.

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    This ^^^ and do you have a pretty tall center console?
    Depends on what you call tall? I would say it is reasonably tall, you can get a good idea from the pic (not my vehicle, but identical).

Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Hmmm... my only suggestion would be to revisit the time alignment again. Do you remember the suggested delays from the Tracerite website? There is a tab on there for crossover settings. I know it says experimental, but without using that feature, midbass was very lacking, and kind of, "wonky" sounding in my car. But after using the crossover tab, it recommended a much further delay, and definitely helped fix the midbass issue I was fighting too.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

The suggested delays that it gave me are:

LT - 1.97
    RT - 0.73
    LMR - 0.8
    RMR - 0
    LMB - 1.17
    RMB - 0.15
    SUB - 0.04

I put in values on the crossover tab (not sure if I am correct on the values I entered without looking on the DSP, but I know I am in the ballpark) and it definitely gives me much further delays:

LT - 0.99
    RT - 0
    LMR - 1.17
    RMR - 0.07
    LMB - 3
    RMB - 1.46
    SUB - 16.56

Going to give those a shot likely tomorrow evening once I confirm my crossover settings, will be interesting to hear the difference. Hopefully I can get this figured out, the overall sound is good, but leaning forward in the seat it just sounds that bit better. Gets a bit uncomfortable driving like that though!! haha
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

angle ain't gonna change nothing at 80 cycles.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    But after using the crossover tab, it recommended a much further delay, and definitely helped fix the midbass issue I was fighting too.
    Well, gave this a shot and while I could only put in the half cycle for my sub delay (BitOne does not let me put in a 15ms delay), it did improve the bass in the drivers seat a good bit........... however, I seem to have lost some of the upper range now instead. At least I think I can pull those back by bumping the EQ some once I figure out what to bump up, going to try to play around with it some more later. At least I remembered to save my earlier set up first incase I need to revert back to it!!

Decided to leave my tweeter and mid delays where I had them based on distance, but used the tracerite values for crossovers on the midbass and the sub. This seems to be a little better, so getting closer, may need to drive around for a bit and listen to some music to know for sure. I get the feeling at this point I may be reaching the limits of my ability at tuning this.
    Last edited by naiku; 10-05-2016 at 04:02 PM.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

I'm glad there's an experimental crossover tweak on the tracerite site. What you got is making sense in comparison to where mine ended up after Steve did the tape measurer method, then had me add a little (and in some cases a lot) more delay to the left side. Trust your ears, but it's always nice to have a well trained set of ears in there too to get the general idea roughed in.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    I'm glad there's an experimental crossover tweak on the tracerite site. What you got is making sense in comparison to where mine ended up after Steve did the tape measurer method, then had me add a little (and in some cases a lot) more delay to the left side. Trust your ears, but it's always nice to have a well trained set of ears in there too to get the general idea roughed in.
    Yep, the tracerite site has been pretty helpful! I definitely need to spend some more time with things, but as you said it's nice to get a well trained set of ears to point you in the right direction!!
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix