Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Audio Install Subs not Bumping

1. Back To Top    #1

Post Car Audio Install Subs not Bumping

I have two type R 12" subs that are 4 ohm dual voice coil. I have my subs wired down to 2 ohms since they're dvc. They aren't seized or blown I've done the battery test multiple times. I also have a hifonics Brutus BRX 2000.1D amp. Recently I was having grounding issues in the cab of my truck but it was quickly resolved with a connector from the battery to a under the hood cab bolt. My amp is getting power and my speakers are connected the way it shows me to in the diagram but they still will not move. I have checked to ensure my RCA's are in the correct subwoofer ports in the back of my pioneer stereo numerous times. I have also made sure that my subwoofers are turned on in my stereos settings. I have been dealing with this issue for a couple of months now. I have reached the point of much frustration and any advice would be helpful. P.S. I have not tuned my amp and I also have a multimeter.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Car Audio Install Subs not Bumping

If each sub has dual 4Ω, that means that each sub would be 2Ω if the voicecoils wired in parallel. If you have both subs wired in parallel to each other, then the amp is seeing 1Ω.

When you say that you haven't tuned the amp, do you mean you haven't adjusted gain, subsonic filter, or crossover?

It would help if you posted pics of the whole setup including wiring.

3. Back To Top    #3

Precisely both subs voicecoils are wired in parallel to make them 2 ohm. I do not have the subs wired together in parallel I have just been trying to run each sub to its own spot on the amp because there are two negative and two positive spring terminals. I'd post some photos but I don't have my phone here with me I can try to find a diagram online

when I said I hadn't tuned the amp I did mean that I haven't adjusted my gain, subsonic filter, or another of the other settings on the amp.
    Last edited by Thampy; 09-10-2016 at 11:24 PM.

4. Back To Top    #4

Lightbulb Re: Car Audio Install Subs not Bumping

Here's a diagram of how they are currently wired in.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	2269 
Size:	555.7 KB 
ID:	5379

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

So you're getting absolutely no sound from them?

I would disconnect the bass knob, turn the low pass crossover to the vertical position (about 100hz), turn the subsonic filter fully to the left (15hz), bass EQ to 0, phase to 0, and level fully to the left. Once all this is done, play some music and slowly turn the level knob up. If you don't get anything by the time you get level turned fully clockwise, you have an issue somewhere. If you get sound, but connecting the bass knob causes it to decrease, then you may have a bad knob or cable.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

Some mono amps have two sets of terminals, wired in parallel to each other, so you probably are presenting the amp with a 1 ohm load. Is your amp 1 ohm stable? Try wiring for a higher ohm load and see what happens.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

The amp is a monoblock so that would make the two positive & negative speaker terminal parallel with each other so the amp is seeing the subs in parallel 1ohm load... which should not be an issue.
    Looking at the pictures of the amp on sonic electronics, I wonder if your problem has anything to do with the extra rca in/out ports and the master / slave switch on the right?... are you sure you have the rca cables plugged into the left most rca ports on the amp?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brutus.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	5380

8. Back To Top    #8

ground issues can mean you've either burnt out the pre-amp output section on your stereo, or the pre-amp input section on your amplifier.

what happens when the main ground is intermittent or not there, as when grounding the amp to a body panel that doesn't have a path to the negative side of the battery, is that the RCA section becomes the only place where a ground path can travel, so the system will work for a little while until the very low level type of signal is overloaded with the main ground path of the amp, and something is broken in the process.

so you fixed the ground path, but you likely have either the deck, or the amp, not working in their pre-amp section.

trouble shooting requires a working system of parts that exclude only the broken part, but be ready to accept that more than one part is broken. A good shop can do the work but you could go on BCAE, a website filled with great information on troubleshooting, and use your meter to find out the faulty parts.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Use another amp ... might be bad
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

10. Back To Top    #10

If you have another amp, even a small 2 or 4 channels one, try it in place of the Brutus wired to 1 subwoofer.

Kelvin