Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Damn it, blown mid-bass. Need replacement suggestions

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Damn it, blown mid-bass. Need replacement suggestions

Driving home this morning I noticed a lot of distortion coming from my passengers side, went out just now and confirmed it is the mid-bass. I had initially thought it was the mid, which would be simple enough to replace, but nope, it is the midbass. I currently run the woofers from a Massive Audio CK6 III set, mounting depth on them is 2.5", tomorrow if I get time I plan to pull the door card and take a measurement of exactly what space I do have.

So, instead of being able to cheaply replace a single Dayton RS75, I now need to replace a pair of midbass speakers. But, not really sure what to replace them with. I have 200W per side available, need to be a max of 3" mounting depth and currently crossed at 900Hz with the Daytons. Mounted low in the front doors, the doors are fairly well sealed but the speakers won't be in a sealed enclosure. Ideally want to keep with the somewhat budget theme of my set up and keep the cost under $200 for a pair. They will literally get any and all kind of music thrown at them.

I looked at the Peerless SLS, but unfortunately they are going to be too deep, same deal with the Dayton RS180. Most CDT speakers I looked at are either too deep or over budget etc.

I am not opposed to used either, just need to find something that fits!!

Thanks.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Damn it, blown mid-bass. Need replacement suggestions

So, 3" mounting depth, 6.5" OD?

You have a sub, correct?

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Yep, 3" depth and 6.5", will take an exact measurements tomorrow when I pull the door card.

Yes, I have an MB Quart PWD254 in a sealed enclosure.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle
    2007 Exploder XLT

poor luck! right before your meet. That sucks man. What kind of budget are you looking at?
    Follow me on Instagram at #bobditts

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by bobditts View Post
    poor luck! right before your meet. That sucks man. What kind of budget are you looking at?
    I think the fact it is only about a week and a half before the meet is what is really annoying about it, I don't like being rushed into picking something, but don't want to have nothing for the meet.

Looking at $200 for the pair, I am kind of hoping that once I pull the door card and measure that I may be able to fit the Peerless SLS, but from everything I have read the absolute maximum I can fit is 3" and I am fairly sure the 2.5" depth on the current speakers is already cutting it close.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

6. Back To Top    #6

Dammit, that sucks, horrible timing fo sho! Hate yer looking for drivers a week and a half before yer meet........Haven't looked at 6.5s in a while, so I'm not up on specs. A quick check of the diyma classifieds showed a nice set of helix midbasses in 6spdcoupes "spring cleaning" sale.......as well as a single hybrid l6v1 for cheap, maybe grab it and scour the Web for another single........I don't however know the depth of either of these, Google should tell ya.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Have a look for the SI TM65's. Mounting depth should be good to go and pricing I would imagine should be close to what your looking for.

8. Back To Top    #8

Hey man, just occurred to me I have a working set of 6.5s deep in my closet.......they are an older, made in germany (but still maxxsonics) mb quart "premium" 6.5s. Not sure of depth, but I can check, let me know and I'll bring them bishes........been a while since I ran them, but best I remember they were pretty sweet........

That's one of them on the right.....

That's just foam and deadening goo around the mount on that last pic, I'm sure they'd clean right up.....

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

I have a set of NVX XSP65's on the shelf. You heard them at the last meet. Basically rebadged SB Acoustics SB17's.. In doors, I found them to be good in the mid-bass department and didn't really lose their linearity to terribly considering an awful door environment, until the 800hz region consistent with both sides.. At 600-800 they both exhibited a dip which I attributed to be the car. Thus my decision to go 3-way to take that burden from 400 to 2khz from them and let them boogie as mid-bass only. They're on the shelf now if you're interested in them. Ended up pulling them as I literally fell into a set of new TM65's which I've not heard yet.

2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by claydo View Post
    A quick check of the diyma classifieds showed a nice set of helix midbasses in 6spdcoupes "spring cleaning" sale.
    Hmm the Helix look like they should fit nicely, $265 more than I currently want to spend though, but certainly worth thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
    Have a look for the SI TM65's. Mounting depth should be good to go and pricing I would imagine should be close to what your looking for.

Funnily enough I found your for sale thread with 2 pairs of them yesterday when checking through classifieds, definitely another option worth looking into. Someone at DIYMA mentioned the TM65 Mk2, but with no known release date I don't want to have to temporarily buy some other speakers nor do I want to run with none until they are released.

Quote Originally Posted by claydo View Post
    Hey man, just occurred to me I have a working set of 6.5s deep in my closet.......they are an older, made in germany (but still maxxsonics) mb quart "premium" 6.5s. Not sure of depth, but I can check, let me know and I'll bring them bishes........been a while since I ran them, but best I remember they were pretty sweet........
    Nice, let me know on those and how much you would want for them assuming they fit, they would match with my subwoofer as that is an old MB Quart. I am hoping to get an accurate depth measurement this evening, so will make sure I post that in this thread as well as it should help figuring out options.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix