Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MoparMike's 2015 Dodge Durango R/T

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

MoparMike's 2015 Dodge Durango R/T

Hey guys, bringing over my build thread posted at another forum. Started on this about 3 months ago and have got it to where everything is playing music within the last two weeks. Just thought I'd add to the subforum over here..

Stock form

Interior pics from my trim package were pulled from the web since I could't get as good of a shot

20x9 Jeep SRT replica "Spider Monkey" wheels with and MGP Caliper Covers

Stock Engine Compartment

Volant Cold Air Intake w/ Power Core Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

Re: MoparMike's 2015 Dodge Durango R/T

On to the rear cargo area.

With 3rd row seats up

Seats folded down

Storage cubby w/ pocket in the floor and flashlight

Under the lid

Access to jack. Spare tire is lowered from under the vehicle through hole in the floor

Cargo Tray removed to access stock sub

Sub removed

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

Jack and mounting bracket removed

In the lower left corner you can see the wiring harnesses coming out of the stock amp that is stored below the storage cubby. Wiring for the proximity sensor and sub woofer run along the rear of the vehicle shown in the foreground.

With the cargo area cleaned out it was time to begin planning on what to put in its place. Starting with the gear that I have to install:

The Precision Power P.65C3 components were purchased for my 2010 Ram but it ended up being traded in for the Durango before they could be installed.

Precision Power Phantom Amps. 900.4, 600.2 and 1000.1

Precision Power DEQ.8 Processor

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

Sundown 10" SD-3 Dual 4 ohm Subs

A piece of 3/4" MDF was cut to fit in the floor so subs and amps could be arranged to find how they would be laid out.

I started with this but really didn't like how asymmetrical it was and having enough room for a 1.2 cubic foot enclosure was going to be tough. The cargo area measures 36" across by 20" long at its maximum. There is 9 1/4" depth near the 3rd row seat brackets but that gets shallower as the the floor goes to the back for the hump where the spare tire is located under the vehicle. Placing the subs as far forward as possible was needed to provide enough clearance.

Moving to this arrangement was more appealing to the eye and gave the needed space for the enclosure which will fire down into the floor for loading and vent forwards under the 3rd row seats and into the cabin. The processor no longer fit though so it will have to move to the storage cubby.

The jack and tire tools can be stowed in a bag but access to the shaft to drop the spare has to be kept. A cutout was made and I verified that there was clearance with the layout of the enclosure and amps.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

The sub enclosure started with a 12" x 36" piece of 3/4" MDF. 2 3/4" tall feet were kept from being at the edges of the box due to the contour of the floor and trim panels. Where the enclosure vents into the cabin there is an opening of 3" tall and 32 1/2" wide.

From there 5 1/2" tall walls and a divider/brace was installed. 10" SD3's have a 4 3/4" depth and the speaker vents around the sides of the motor.

The back wall extends down to match the contour of the floor and keep moving air from heading back to where the amp rack will be placed.

Tire tool has 1/4" of clearance when placed into the floor for dropping the spare

Top of box extends past the side walls of the box to close the gap with the side trim panels. This will end up being carpeted and will be the new floor of the cargo area. The back wall of the box still needs some re-shaping to better match the contour of the floor. As it sits now it is about a 1/4" too tall on the passenger side causing the top of the box to not sit
    flush.

The subs call for .5 cubes each of air space and have a displacement of .11 cu. ft. per speaker. With a goal of 1.22 sealed, I got very close. The inside of the box measures 34" 1/2" x 5.5" x 11 1/4" yielding 1.235 cubes before the brace is deducted. I'm very happy with how it sits and this is my stopping point for now. Hope to make some adjustments to the box this week which will have it sitting level and flush. The amp rack will have to wait until next weekend

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

Couple of updates from today. The amp rack was started with an MDF panel that rests on the floor behind the box. After talking with Lanson, who is working on his own Durango, I learned that he found that the floor of his cargo area was not level. Looks like I am running in to this as well. Some reshaping of the feet of the enclosure helped but I've still got a little work to do. Here is how it sits now.

Since I have a tight space to work with the amps will need to be angled. Some MDF triangles were cut to test out. I like the design, but even with predrilling, the MDF split from #6 screws. 1x lumber or metal brackets may be a better choice. I'm open to suggestions too.

Access for spare tire tool to pass through

Inset panel for processor and disto blocks.

Full view of the trunk

The panels that went in today haven't yet been fastened down. The more I look at the top of the box though the more I think about adding a plexiglass window. There is light blue accent lighting throughout the cabin that would be cool to carry over to the back of the car. Lighting inside the box, amp rack and around the disto blocks would jazz it up a bit. A cargo mat could be laid over the enclosure and amp rack for daily driving.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

Another day with MDF dust in my hair but made some good progress. I went over to my buddy Rick's house (Speakerpimp) to show what I had so far and bounce a few thoughts off of him. We got the box sitting level and low enough to then move on to the amp rack. He had the idea to raise it up and extend into some open space at the back of the car. Now the amps can lay flat and recess below the rear trim panel. The change looked better to us and will make wiring a little easier. It also freed up much needed space below the amp rack to run wiring. Lastly the subs were put in to test fit everything inside the car.

More space above the top of the amps for a cover plate

Feeling super good about about the changes and think they pull the design together. This will be the last bit of work that can be done for a week or so. Up next is make a decision on the material for the top of the box and start running wires. Its a good stopping point and I feel better having a little something to show at the Aggieland Invitational next weekend in College Station. Had a good time last year and have been looking forward to going back.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

So there hasn't been much to post recently since there hadn't been a lot of progress. I took off to go to the Aggieland Invitational show two weeks back and came home with some motivation. Listening to some great sounding cars will do that.

First off, I decided that the sub enclosure could use a little more flair. Having a usable cargo area is still a necessity but why not have some show back there too? Since the top of the box will be the tallest point of the install and there isn't room for a cover plate I opted to cut out two sections to counter sink some 3/4" plexi windows into. Frames were built from 1x2 select pine that will make a shelf inside the box for the plexi to attach to:

I allowed for a 1/4" gap between the frames and the walls of the box. Glued and nailed from the back side:

This will allow me to wrap the box in carpet and have it go down into the cut outs. Carpet will run down to the seam where the MDF meets the pine frame. The plexi will drop in from the top and be sealed up with with 3/4" wide neoprene tape that runs along the 3/4" wide pine shelf. I'm hoping that the thickness of the tape and carpet will even out and provide a level surface across the seams.

There was also a need for more install accessories so after some time on Amazon I ended up with some Dayton binding posts for the enclosre, T-nuts and stainless cap screws for mounting the subs, LED strip lighting for inside the box and amp rack, techflex and some other install accessories:

I also noticed that because the amps' inputs and controls are on the ends I was going to run into clearance problems and wanted to find a way to space them out some. However the rear quarter panel trim pieces were in the way so I did some trimming:

That helped and now one amp's RCAs won't be rubbing up against another's power wiring.

Lastly, I've been going back and forth about how I'll be pulling signal from the factory amp to the DEQ.8 processor and what that signal will look like. Today a JL Fix82 integration processor was ordered and will be in early next week. I'm hoping that kills two birds with one stone by providing a clean, flat signal with factory processing removed and helps with retaining the hands-free phone calls since it has a bluetooth mode. Getting excited again to get back to work on it this weekend.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

Double post
    Last edited by MoparMike; 08-12-2016 at 09:30 AM.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

Time for a few small updates. The first is HOLY SH*T it's HOT in Texas this week! Being outside working on this thing has been no picnic so I've tried to move whatever work that could be done into the house.

So as I get closer to running wiring I decided to lay out all of the install gear that I've collected to make sure nothing is missing. Hint: Something always is.

I also ordered a new JL Audio Fix82 integration processor to aid in cleaning up the factory signal and add a few more features. A DRC-100 control knob and a pair of the Fix-LSA-4 load sensing adapters that are needed to place the proper load on the UConnect's wiring to keep the system from muting the signal when the load of a speaker is removed.

The Fix processor was bought because it will not only remove the factory tuning, time alignment and sum the signals into 2 channels but with the DRC-100 connected there is also a master volume control and access to a bluetooth mode for handsfree calling that applies a 100 hz high pass crossover for better call quality. Another neat feature is a valet mode that when activated will attenuate the signal 15 db. The Fix processor was mounted near the DEQ.8 but that panel got very crowded so the distro blocks will need to be moved.

Then I got back to work on the box to finish the inside since it will be visible through the plexi windows. The seams were sealed with caulking and a textured spray-in bedliner was applied. This really helped to hide any minor imperfections. 1/4" T Nuts were used to screw the subs into.

Picked up some graphite colored flex carpeting from a local supplier and got to wrapping the box. I used an aerosol can of DAP Weldwood Contact Cement and a pneumatic stapler. Got as much done outside after work one night until I lost light and had to move into the kitchen. Don't mind the spaghetti that was cooling on the counter top.

The carpet matches great with the driver's side panel and the back of the 3rd row seats but appears much lighter against the passenger side panel. I attribute that to the way the light hits it and maybe the direction that the fibers run. It's a very close match though.