Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Meet Ol Smokey! I知 relatively new to this forum, but not new to car audio fomokey

1. Back To Top    #101
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Meet Ol Smokey! I知 relatively new to this forum, but not new to car audio fomok

Meh...a little JB Weld and it'll be good as new

2. Back To Top    #102
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Re: Meet Ol Smokey! I知 relatively new to this forum, but not new to car audio fomok

Quote Originally Posted by littlemissGTO View Post
    Sometimes you can pick up a dye to put in the oil. UV light and cool glasses, will allow you to find the leak pretty quickly.
    For air conditioning systems , that is what we use.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?、Somewhere 0ut There、}]

3. Back To Top    #103
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by LumbermanSVO View Post
    I think I found the problem, look at these holes in the dipstick tube!

The mounting bracket fell off and took a bit of tube with it. I've ordered a new one.
    damn snakes.....

4. Back To Top    #104

I got home on Tuesday and tried to install the new dipstick tube on Wednesday, it was a no go. It was the right part, but to get around the headers would require too much bending. So i did the next best thing, I ordered a flexible one from Lokar. It arrived yesterday, and it took minutes to install. I went for a drive through the neighborhood in first gear, letting it rev up quite a bit, and it didn't lose a drop of oil!

So now I can get back to working on smaller things.

5. Back To Top    #105

I did a bunch of research and ended up ordering the v-belt alternator mounting kit from CVF Racing, I think it'll work well with my existing pulleys.

In addition to the missing alternator bracket, I was missing some bolts. Thankfully I keep EVERY factory bolt I pull off a project car, even if I'll never need it again. That bin of bolts allowed me to bolt up the power steering pump. I don't have an HVAC system right now, so I bolted the ignition coil in place of the A/C compressor.

I need to order some 1/0 wire terminals, and a harmonic balancer bolt, and then it should be ready to run. If I had that wire terminal I could have started it up today.

Pic of how it sits right now:

6. Back To Top    #106

I spent a little time in the garage today. I finished getting everything bolted to the crank, then worked on the alternator. The new mount looks pretty great!

The mount is intended to use inner pulley groove on the whole system. However, the stock power steering pump uses that groove. Because I have that trick double pulley on the alternator, I was able to "misalign" the alternator enough to use the middle groove for the alternator. The only issue now is that my belt is about 1/2" too short, but that's an easy fix.

One way I was able to push the alternator forward was to use the ground lug as a spacer, and put a spacer in the kit between the head and ground lug. While I was at it I trimmed the charge and ground cables for a cleaner look, then bundled them with the starter wires.

After all that was done I fired it up. He ran, but on ok, and died shortly after. The EFI has a "learn" table that makes adjustments once your tune is done, I think I need to clear the table to reset it back to a good tune. Also, I think I need to reset the idle from scratch. But first I have to put the cooling system back together, do an oil change, check the timing, and put the rest of the oil pan bolts in. All of these I can do the day after I get back from the trip I leave for tomorrow.

7. Back To Top    #107

I got him running great, better than ever before, but I had another massive oil leak from the il pan gasket. Ugh. So yesterday I dropped the oil pan and learned that the previous owner wasn't really into oil changes.

So today I spent some time prepping the pull the engine, trans, and transfer case. If I'm going to rebuild one, I might as well rebuild them all.

Here is what he looks like right now:

8. Back To Top    #108

It turns out, you can fit a 2-ton engine hoist in a Miata, the top even closed!

Everything is disconnected from the engine and trans, and It's partially pulled. This is what it looks like right now:

I have friends coming over later to day to help wrestle it out and push the Bronco it's it's parking spot.

I can't wait to pull the engine apart and see what it looks like inside.

9. Back To Top    #109

The garage is a mess!

10. Back To Top    #110

I tore down the engine tonight, the garage is a mess! The bores look fine and I can still see crosshatching through most of the walls. The cam has a weird wear pattern, but the lifters are fine. The top of the pistons have a ton of carbon build up, same with the combustion chambers in the heads. Everything the oil touched is pretty black as well.

But man, take a look at the rod bearings! The bottom row is the cap side, the far left is the front of the engine.

And the main bearings. Again, the bottom row is the cap side, left is #1.

It was definitely time for a rebuild!