Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Meet Ol Smokey! I知 relatively new to this forum, but not new to car audio fomokey

1. Back To Top    #91

Re: Meet Ol Smokey! I知 relatively new to this forum, but not new to car audio fomok

wow, talk about feast or famine! sorry to hear that!

2. Back To Top    #92

Re: Meet Ol Smokey! I知 relatively new to this forum, but not new to car audio fomok

looks like the thick gasket the PCV valve is stuck in, is pushed in where it leaves a gap open to the air...

3. Back To Top    #93

Quote Originally Posted by cajunner View Post
    looks like the thick gasket the PCV valve is stuck in, is pushed in where it leaves a gap open to the air...
    It's the hose pulling on it. I've ordered some slick 45コ hoses that have the 5/8" ID I need for the tee on one end, and the 1/2" for the check valve on the other. These hoses will fix that issue right up, and I won't need to step down the 5/8" hoses at the check valve or catch can.

This is definitely NOT the source of the new major leak though. The bulk of the oil is on the other side of the engine.

4. Back To Top    #94

So, I actually did some work on Ol Smokey today.

At some point Horsepower Research just stopped returning my emails, so I guess I won't be working with them. It's a bummer because they have a great reputation.

Awhile ago I pulled the batteries and couldn't bring them back to life, even with the Optima charger. I just let them sit dead for too long. I should put a kill switch on it I guess. I replaced the batteries and all is well again.

Last time I was home I fired up Ol Smokey and just layed under it to see if I could spot an oil leak. I eventually tracked it down to the valve cover gaskets. It was crazy hot out, so I didn't do any actual work.

Today I worked on the passenger side valve cover. I just went nuts on it. I replaced the bolts with studs, used a rubber gasket with metal insert, used non-hardening RTV on both sides of the gasket, and torqued it to 12ft-lbs working from the inside out.

After letting it run for an hour, not a single drop from that side.

So tomorrow I'll do the driver side and wire up the horn. Then it'll pass inspection again. After that I can start working on the wiring again.

5. Back To Top    #95

I did the other valve cover today. After getting it all buttoned up I fired up the engine and let it run while I got the horn working. I also dressed up some of the under hood wiring, the lights/horn wiring is how in slip loom and resting on factory wiring clips instead of sitting on the radiator. That whole time, it didn't leak a drop, success!

I then went for a spin around the neighborhood, by the end of the block there was oil smoke behind me. When I got back to the house there was a trail of oil behind me, almost as bad as when the rear main had fallen out.

The good news is, the oil is only coming from one side of the engine, I just don't know where. I suspect it might be the dipstick tube, I did have to bend it to get the header on. If it's not that, then I have no idea what it is..

6. Back To Top    #96
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I hate tracking down stuff like that. Good luck with it.

7. Back To Top    #97

I hate tracking it down too. Maybe I should stick a GoPro and flashlight under the hood and go for a drive.

8. Back To Top    #98
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Clean it up really good and go for a shorter drive? or stop every now and then to look?

9. Back To Top    #99
    Vehicle
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Sometimes you can pick up a dye to put in the oil. UV light and cool glasses, will allow you to find the leak pretty quickly.

10. Back To Top    #100

I think I found the problem, look at these holes in the dipstick tube!

The mounting bracket fell off and took a bit of tube with it. I've ordered a new one.