Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet Ol Smokey! I知 relatively new to this forum, but not new to car audio fomokey

1. Back To Top    #61

Re: Meet Ol Smokey! I知 relatively new to this forum, but not new to car audio fomok

Fill the holes with smaller speakers(tee hee)

2. Back To Top    #62

Re: Meet Ol Smokey! I知 relatively new to this forum, but not new to car audio fomok

On Wednesday I got back from a small tournament. We used a product I rarely ever use, our carbon fiber LED panels. Here is a time lapse of the screen build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avnxIUJuLTs&spf

That whole screen ended up weighing 200lbs. While away I ordered some gear to make my job easier when working with our heavier LED panels:

Any climbers will already be familiar with this gear. The two pulleys on the left are pretty basic and the side plates open up for easy assembly of the system. The two on the right are progress capture pulleys, so you can lift your object, then let go of the rope without the object crashing to the ground. The progress capture can also be turned off so they can be used as regular pulleys.

The best part is the mechanical advantage I gain with these. At Ryder we lifted panels into place with rope, but when I didn't have access to a pulley, we just running a rope over a scaff ledger and it resulted in a single 40lb panel requiring two people to lift into place. But with these parts I can get a 4:1 mechanical advantage, one guy should be able to easily lift 4 panels at once, greatly speeding up the build.

2:1 Mechanical Advantage:

3:1 Mechanical Advantage:

4:1 Mechanical Advantage:

Work also gave me a very nice harness yesterday, so now I need to go buy accessories for it. Mostly things that'll make it more comfortable and make positioning myself while hanging much easier.

I leave for my next tournament on Monday where I'll get to use this gear. After that, I don't have any tournaments on the books until January.

As for Ol Smokey, tomorrow I plan to get the wipers wired up and working. It sucked driving home in the rain yesterday!

3. Back To Top    #63

I'm home for a month!

I haven't done much yet, mostly just stuff around the house. Today I pulled the subs from Ol Smokey because my HS24MkII's shipped and will be delivered to my work, I'm gonna need the room to get them home next week. :-)

I did install the new speedometer today, it's a Holley GPS unit.

I pulled the temporary dash panel to install it:

Installed:

Back in Ol Smokey:

I went for a quick drive and it worked well, even at low speeds.

4. Back To Top    #64

You ever have that moment when you realized you just did some looney?

Yeah, my 24's arrived today. No pictures can prepare you for just how big these are. They are just simply massive.

This dude opening the box is 6' 3" tall:

They just barely fit in Ol Smokey:

It took a bunch of work, but I was able to unload them from Ol Smokey, get them inside, and up a flight of stairs by myself. Opening the first:

They make the ID Max 12's looks like little toys:

All my HT speakers:

That TM65 looks like a little trinket next to the 24

5. Back To Top    #65
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Daaamn!

6. Back To Top    #66

When I first found out about the SI 24's I knew I wanted a couple. I figure that if I throw 2500 watts on each, I'll never have to buy another home sub again. I'm just skipping the whole upgrade cycle and going right for the monsters!

7. Back To Top    #67
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

You can't work your way up to 24s.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

8. Back To Top    #68
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

But you can work your way up to this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt8NLFsBWxw

9. Back To Top    #69

I don't know what to make of that...

10. Back To Top    #70
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

EAW did a large club install with them and Rat Sound is currently about to send some prototypes out on the road to extended testing... Allegedly they are just nuts.