Re: decibelle's 1976 Trans Am - 455/4spd/restomod

And Quarton Rd as well as Stephenson Hwy. lol

2. Back To Top    #52
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

While you may never want to go through this again, the satisfaction of doing all this yourself will hopefully keep you in love with the car that much more when it's done. What color do you have planned for paint?
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #53

That's exactly what I keep telling myself, Chris.

As for paint, the base coat will be a matte gray. The car is to be modeled after the first B-1 Grayson flew a few months back, the Dark Knight. So, in addition to the dark gray paint, the car will display several callouts that differ from the "normal" Trans Am: the Dark Knight nose art in place of the bird decal on the b-pillars, the actual tail number instead of the 'Trans-Am' lettering on the rear wing, etc. Gray and I are also working on designing a custom hood design that features a flaming bat rather than the iconic flaming bird that once adorned the hood (the bat is the mascot of his new squadron). Of course, this complicates things slightly over a normal paint job, but this car will be one of one when all is said and done. I think that's worth the effort.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dark knight.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	5815

4. Back To Top    #54
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

That's quite creative. I've always thought the B-1 was the sexiest bomber out there. Hope to see this car in person when it's done. You going to model the interior somewhat after the B-1 cockpit or go with something more traditional?
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

5. Back To Top    #55

You thought right! And yeah, same for the interior. In a perfect world I'd like to paint the dash, install custom ejection-lookalike seats, find or fabricate custom "rudder" pedals, modify the gauge cluster, and generally make it look like a cockpit. I'll be honest, though, no further thought has been put into it, and won't for a long time. She doesn't even have a working engine yet!

Although, the keys have been fastened to a pin from a real Gbu-31 bomb Grayson got to drop over BFE Utah on a flight last year. Not like anyone but the ultramost TactiNerdz would ever notice... but we know, and that's what counts!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-03-03 04.01.42.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	542.3 KB 
ID:	5819

6. Back To Top    #56
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I could see those ideas becoming reality. Browse some of the hot rod build logs, and you'll see all sorts of cool tricks and such. Mostly vintage style, but the fabricated brackets with airframe style holes through them, remove before flight tags, etc...
    Are you not entertained?!?!

7. Back To Top    #57
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Cover the seats to look like an old bomber jacket, patches and all...

8. Back To Top    #58
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle
    2006 MINI Cooper S Checkmate Edition

What I really want to see is the afterburners!

A while back, we had a B-1 leave the airport that was adjacent to my job site. It was at my work for a family day display. Not long after it took off it lit up the ABs and all hell broke loose. The thing pointed straight up for the sky and every car alarm in the area went off. It was spectacular.

9. Back To Top    #59
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by astrochex View Post
    What I really want to see is the afterburners!

A while back, we had a B-1 leave the airport that was adjacent to my job site. It was at my work for a family day display. Not long after it took off it lit up the ABs and all hell broke loose. The thing pointed straight up for the sky and every car alarm in the area went off. It was spectacular.
    Quad afterburner looking tips straight out the back with a plate in the exhaust to go from something somewhat mellow like a Magnaflow to open pipes with the flip of the switch! Then again, I can't see a bored out big block being mellow. That would just be criminal

10. Back To Top    #60

There will be a few exhaust mods.