Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: decibelle's 1976 Trans Am - 455/4spd/restomod

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: decibelle's 1976 Trans Am - 455/4spd/restomod

Quote Originally Posted by Kornnut View Post
    Keeping the 455 or going with a newer LS? Looks like the car is complete and in good shape. How is the trunk floor?
    One might say that there's a lot of... junk in tha trunk.

Still pretty much untouched since I got her. Nothing critical in there, so it's sitting comfortably at the bottom of the Neverending Project list.

Re: engine. The original plan was to do an LS swap, because duh. Then I found this car, and I realized that LS motors are for people who can't get a 455.

Every F-body and their grandma has an LS today. Finding a restored car with anything over a 350 is rare enough; a 455 is almost unheard of. I'd rather stay nostalgic, and this 455 is pre-emissions (1974) restrictions. I'd also like to avoid the infestation of electronics that we are forced into with every late model car, because we do more than our fair share of fiddling with laptops and wires and starting electrical fires enough as it is, amirite?

Or maybe that last bit's just me...

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Vehicle
    2004 Monte Carlo, 2003 F150 Harley Davidson Edition

I agree with that last statement, as long as there is nothing wrong with the block that came with it. If it's solid, that thing can be a beast.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Vehicle
    2006 Pontiac GTO

This is my kinda build thread!

4. Back To Top    #14

Indeed the LS or the 455 is a good choice. I love 2nd gen f-body cars.

5. Back To Top    #15

Aw shit....nice project ally! If solid, that 455 is worth building, but be forewarned, a big block poncho is going to be a large investment.........they are torquey beasts, that unfortunately weigh a ton. Respect for keeping it origional. One question.......it isn't a super duty is it? It would be worth your while to do some investigating into the Vin to see exactly what you have......see if the engine matches......may sway your decision on what path you want to go. A carb that isn't a Quadra jet would be my first investment......lol. Good luck, I'll definitely be watching........

Oh, and I love yer choice in wheels......fuck dem honeycombs......
    Last edited by claydo; 07-15-2016 at 09:53 PM.

6. Back To Top    #16

In the real world an LS would wipe the floor with a 455 on a drag strip. If that's where this car was headed I couldn't possibly justify keeping the old engine in. But there are a few of us out there for whom speed isn't the primary factor in a cars value. I'm looking to get around 500-550ish which is so stupid easy with these things you could just as well ask it nicely. Rear is good out til 600+ and really, I don't want more than that on a street car. Not my first one anyway!

Clay - you've brought up my favorite thing about this car. Crunching the numbers has been a wild ride. I use Wallaceracing to decode the numbers and let me tell you, this girl is a mutt!

Let us begin with the carb.

Survey says:

Factory. Huh. OK... whattaboot the block?

"485428" is what that is.

Code YH.

... As expected - a '72 455. Just prior to the 74/75(?) restrictions. Wait... I don't have 7L4 heads! So what I have here is a factory 400 carb, on a 455 block, with the factory 6X heads. Naturally, the carb's gonna have to go as I'll have the 455 bored out .030" (assuming it's able to be), as well as a multiangle valve job, align hone, and mild cam. Perhaps more - we'll see where that will get me. Needless to say, should the poor bastard responsible ever stumble across this post... I've got some questions for ya, good buddy.

As for the wheels, thank you. Not a fan of the factory honeycombs on anything older than a 77, and EVERYBODY has them freakin' Cragar wheels. I wanted them to say classic muscle car, not fanboy (girl). All they're missing is a set of red PMD center caps!
    Last edited by decibelle; 07-16-2016 at 07:47 AM.

7. Back To Top    #17

Lol, I should've known you'd be all over the numbers allready.......congrats and have fun!

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

I'm thinking you'll need aluminum heads and a big bump in compression ratio to hit your hp goals. If I were building that engine, would do both those things, but real focus would be on torque.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ally.jpg 
Views:	748 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	5193

10. Back To Top    #20