Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Re: decibelle's 1976 Trans Am - 455/4spd/restomod

Any updates on this project?
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

2. Back To Top    #62

Yes… and no. She looks quite the same in photos. All components have been coated in surfacing primer. The body has been blocked down to about 320, I will likely end up going through to 600 or so on the entire car, bumpers, trim, etc.

In the spirit of saving a bit of cash I opted to fix some trim rather than replace it. Apparently these splash guards are a HUNDRED AND FIFTY BUCKS per piece, no thank you. Fiberglass it is.

With temps hanging around the upper 90s at the low end, it’s a challenge to get into the shop and grind out the hours of elbow grease needed to get the car to that point. There’s no rush of course. I’ve had some changes with the engine that may take things on a different path, so I’m hesitant to dump more money into the body before I’ve worked out the new kinks with engine plans.

The bad news is that after I had taken the engine apart I noticed cylinders 1 and 8 were sleeved. So, in accordance with my worst fears, a PO had indeed blown up the engine and opted to only throw in some cheap aftermarket pistons, bore the cylinders to its limits, and leave everything else stock. Truly half ass a beautiful engine. It might not be possible to repair, depending upon how badly damaged it was. Given that a .060 overbore is no longer an option, I sent the pistons and rings back. There is a fair chance that it will go the way of custom sized pistons and a stroke, if this engine is to stay. We'll see.

The good news is I found a local shop that was about a mile down the road from work. The guy who will be working on it - Jim Robertson - is a huge Pontiac nerd and will do the engine right. Evidently, the 455 isn't even from a Trans Am but likely a Bonneville or some such Pontiac! I had no idea. So, there remains some question as to whether or not the block can be saved - the sleeving raises a LOT of questions about what might be lurking underneath. If the block cannot be salvaged, the shop has a few spare 455s they will let me swap for, but for the time being it will be cleaned up, magnafluxed and go from there. Fingers crossed!

3. Back To Top    #63
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

I wouldn't know where to begin with a project like this. It looks like fun though.

And holy balls $150 for a piece of plastic!? geez
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

4. Back To Top    #64
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Just checking in to see what's up.
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma