Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MECA - The Vinny - 7/24/16

MECA - The Vinny - 7/24/16

The Vinny
    July 24th, 2016
    Lebanon, TN

This show typically is a big one.... many times with some very heavy hitters in Mobile Audio attending...

Who all is planning to attend ?

2. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Robert or Mac
    Vehicle
    2012 Charger RT

Re: MECA - The Vinny - 7/24/16

I'll be there as well
    MASQ partner and judge
    MobileAudioSQ.com

3. Back To Top    #12

Results won't be posted until Wednesday according to Steve Stern, so for the time being, here's a video I took of the awards session from today's show:

4. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Thanks for posting that, Erin. Nice to see some Junkies bringing home some trophies. Which vehicle did Kevin compete with?

5. Back To Top    #14

Santa Fe

6. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Vehicle
    2004 Monte Carlo, 2003 F150 Harley Davidson Edition

It was really great to see everyone again. Been a while since the last show. Had a great time despite the heat. Was a really good turn out and a lot of amazing sounding cars/trucks. Was good to see Erin and John P. show up to lend a ear and cut up a bit.

7. Back To Top    #16

So, yesterday's show was really fun for me. I didn't compete... just went to hang out with my buds. I listened to about 12 cars yesterday. Each of them sounded really nice in their own right. Some stood out to me more than others for one reason or another but they all had a nice sound to them. The installs varied: kick mounted woofers, door woofers, mids on the dash, mids in the sails, mids off axis, mids on axis, tweeters, no tweeters, sub behind, no sub. Simple 2-way+sub, 3-way+sub, 3-way no sub. Big mids, small mids. Big woofers, small woofers, no woofers. All sorts of stuff. To me it was really interesting to see how they all sounded alike in some ways but so different in others. Not just from car to car but within installation types. In regards to tonality I think you could probably put 80% of them within a few ticks of each other. But when it came to staging, impact (not just woofers), and some of the intangible things I have a harder time explaining, that's where there differences in install types really showed up. I've continued to notice a trend with installs in regards to position, aiming. The install type doesn't inherently mean one type is the end all be all, by any means.. I just find it interesting that the distinctions are starting to draw themselves the larger my 'sample size' gets. They all have little things here and there that make them more different than the tonality did. If you get what I mean.

I was really impressed by a few cars. I won't really get in to naming names because I don't want to leave anyone out and hurt feelings. But they know who they are.

8. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I wish I could have made it. I heard the BBQ was good (the first time)

9. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Jose
    Vehicle
    VW Passat Wagon

^ this, my car is not on that list yet, (soon muhahaha). Thanks again Erin (I'm butt hurt now, but it was the BBQ).. I will be honest my car is not there yet, yet being the key word. Unfortunately, I have accepted the challenge when I came back to compete with the big boys, so now, I spend more time listening and trying new things in my car, some have been drastic and I have 1 more change to do.. just didn't have enough time to get them all in for this weekend..

So today my P9 decided to do track seek instead of switch tracks on the face.. great, another expense that I didn't need..

10. Back To Top    #19

dudes. that BBQ... woowee....

11. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Richard

Scores are posted, guess Steve got to it a little earlier than he thought.

http://mecaevents.azurewebsites.net/#results/1983

Wish I had a chance to chat with a few more folks but overall nice to see the usual suspects and was also good to meet new folks. My general sense as one of the judges is fairly consistent with Erin's observation. There were 19 cars in the upper classes which was the half I was assigned to and was judging. Everyone is really pushing each other which is great to see. Scores also reflect it, often times it was splitting hairs.

Re: BBQ, Grace specifically steered us away from there and convinced Vinny not to take the judges there. I'm glad she did, but sorry to hear about everyone else's woes.

I look forward to seeing everyone again (hopefully, at Finals). Despite the heat, it was quite fun and I've really enjoyed focusing on judging and hosting events this season.