Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes or no, 3 become 2

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Yes or no, 3 become 2

At the moment I am running a trio of amps, a JBL MS-A5001, JBL MS-A1004 and an Alpine MRV-F345. Currently running a single sub, but soon planning on moving to a dual subwoofer set up. While I think the MS-A5001 will be fine (sub's are MB Quart PWD-254) I am also thinking more power is always nice to have on tap. Because of this I am considering selling / trading my current amps and picking up a pair of 5 channels. Something like a pair of PDX-V9's or something with similar power / price range. This would leave me with something like:

V9 #1 - Tweets, Mids and a sub
    V9 #2 - Midbass bridged and a sub

One of the main reasons I am thinking of doing this, along with having a channel for each sub, is to simplify things a little in the trunk. One less thing to go wrong, find a space for etc. Would I be able to run a pair of subs initially on a single V9? Subs are dual 4 ohm, rated at 350RMS. I could simply leave one sub disconnected until picking up a second 5 channel.

I think this makes sense, but it's always good to put it out there. Any other amps worth looking into? JL 900/5's are out of my budget, I plan to sell or trade the JBL's for one and then save up some cash to buy a second.

Thanks!
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Yes or no, 3 become 2

I think it's a fine idea.

I'd toss in the JL XD1000/5v2 as well for consideration.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Jose
    Vehicle
    VW Passat Wagon

I'd be interested in seeing more of the Wagon.. and I can totally understand going with less amps but better output.. less amps, more space, for other stuff..
    Last edited by AccordUno; 08-15-2016 at 01:19 PM.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by AccordUno
    I'd be interested in seeing more of the Wagon..
    Ask and ye shall receive, here is how it currently sits:

And here with my old wheels, ran over something on the interstate one night that destroyed one of them and took chunks out of another:

Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Jose
    Vehicle
    VW Passat Wagon

Not bad, I'm running the 17" version of the Avus on my Passat wagon.. Pretty clean car..

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

I almost ended up with a Passat wagon, but the ones I was looking at I just could not get over the center console.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

7. Back To Top    #7

I would do a dual-mono setup with the amps. One for each side: tweeter on channel 1, mid on channel 2, bridge 3/4 for midbass, sub on channel 5.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Jose
    Vehicle
    VW Passat Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    I almost ended up with a Passat wagon, but the ones I was looking at I just could not get over the center console.
    Yeah the center console.. B5.5 is not that bad.. the others hmm another story.. There's a A6 Wagon around here local that a dealer wants (2.8 with two bad miss fires) but interior is immaculate.. BTW, do you happen to have your Avus still?

Back the subject, I say go with matching pair as well. I have that set up on my mids and highs, then a single amp for subs and midbass.. (3 amps instead of 2)..

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by AccordUno View Post
    Yeah the center console.. B5.5 is not that bad.. the others hmm another story.. There's a A6 Wagon around here local that a dealer wants (2.8 with two bad miss fires) but interior is immaculate.. BTW, do you happen to have your Avus still?
    Sold the Avus a while back, cheap as well since one of them had a squared off edge!!
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

I too, think Erin's suggestion has merit
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]