Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some guidance on choosing an Amp

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Re: Need some guidance on choosing an Amp

Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Quote Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
    Check into a Zapco St-105D BT. Looks like you can get a brand new one with warranty, plus they have a very small footprint.
    I'm more drawn to the DC series for the built in DSP.... buuuuutt - I have read of possible noise issues with these and that perhaps Zapco support is a little lacking these days?

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Seems the Arc 4150xxk has quite the reputation here. Seems this model was when they were still made/assembled in the USA which is a big plus for me.

Anyone know if there customer support is responsive? Did this company ever change hands since the original founder started it?

Also, would anyone have reservations about buying a 8-10 year old amp? Somewhere I read that caps can deteriorate sitting idle over time

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

I bought and owned several of the 4150cxlr models (couple years older than the xxk's) and they are terrific amps. I'd have no reservation about buying those, or the xxk's if they are in good condition. Yes, caps could possibly need replacing after many years of use and they will show signs of swelling/bulging if they do. We also know several very good (and reasonably priced) amp servicing techs on these forums who can take care of any needs like that for you. ShawnK is excellent and has done work for me before. I'd highly recommend him should you ever need it.

If possible, try to have the seller give you a few pics of the amplifier board so you can see the condition. That will tell you a lot.

-Steve

5. Back To Top    #15

arcs are nice but expensive.. the rf amps do have thousands of very good reviews (talking about mono blocks though cause thats all i look at)

6. Back To Top    #16

I own an Arc Audio KS900.6. I bought it used a couple of years ago and I believe it to be about a 10-year old amp. I love this amp. Also, I have called Arc a few times and each time I got to talk to a representative and they answered any queries I had. They seemed glad to talk to me each time I called. Their customer service is top notch!

And, by the way, there is an Arc Audio XDi 1200.6 listed on Ebay, currently. It is an auction, but you can BIN for $485. There are no bids on it, now and starting bid will be $370. This is one helluva an amp.
    Last edited by Blackhawk Fan; 07-06-2017 at 08:15 PM.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

That's what Hillbilly and I are running, and I can't speak for him, but I dig mine, and it boogies (in Babs words)!!!
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Quote Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post
    Arc 4150XXK is one of the best amps I've owned. Gobs of clean power in a dead sexy case. Don't believe the 4x80 watt rating, it does over 130 per channel.
    Can't speak to the other choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I will raise my hand for the Arc 4150 amp whether it be the variants listed so far or the FD4150 that's still available brand new from WoofersEtc.
    Quote Originally Posted by captainobvious
    I bought and owned several of the 4150cxlr models (couple years older than the xxk's) and they are terrific amps. I'd have no reservation about buying those, or the xxk's if they are in good condition. Yes, caps could possibly need replacing after many years of use and they will show signs of swelling/bulging if they do. We also know several very good (and reasonably priced) amp servicing techs on these forums who can take care of any needs like that for you. ShawnK is excellent and has done work for me before. I'd highly recommend him should you ever need it.

If possible, try to have the seller give you a few pics of the amplifier board so you can see the condition. That will tell you a lot.

-Steve
    Just wanted to follow up on this thread;

After all was said and done, I did choose a used Arc 4150xxk to run my system and man you guys weren't kidding about this amp. I've been extremely happy with it.

I attended a couple of GTGs this year and received many positive complements on the clean dynamics of my setup. Many were surprised that I was just running a 4x85w amp and no subs.

I'm almost at the point where I'm ready to go fully active and need more channels but I'm hesitant to replace this amp as I feel I may be disappointed with it's replacement. This is a comparatively big amp for it's power and I always want to save as much space as possible but now I have no problem making room for more of these old Arcs. I like this amp so much that I've been keeping my eye out for more used ones just for back ups.

May try a KS900.6 next with a grand vision of using the 4150xxk on the midbass & mids; the lower powered KS900.6 channels on the tweeters & future differential rear fill and the Sub channels for just that. This is a long way off though...

Thanks again guys for all the advise here

Last edited by Truthunter; 09-14-2017 at 02:11 PM.