Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some guidance on choosing an Amp

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Need some guidance on choosing an Amp

I'm in the planning/procurement stage of building a moderate SQ system for a 2015 Camry.

Source: Will be replacing the stock Premium Entune with Nav with a DDin or larger Nav and integrate it with an idatalink maestro rr. Have not chosen one yet cause I'm still waiting for the new Kenwoods to be released to compare. Regardless, preamps will be at least 4V.

Front Stage (already own): JL ZR800-CW in the front doors (with full CLD, MLV, CCF treatment). Morel Virtus 402 comp set: Mid in stock dash corner location and tweeter located just above it on axis for the most part.

Sub: Will run with just the JLs in the doors first to see if it's enough, maybe adding another set in the rear deck, or if I see the need I would look into a larger infinite baffle set up (got an old Kicker F12C to play with), maybe a set of Acoustic Elegance 10s, 12s, possibly 15s depending on my mood at the time

Processor: Will use the HUs built in eq/ta and Amps xover first and possibly add a more capable unit later... or maybe an amp with built in dsp

So now I been watching for a deal to pop up on an amp. Can use a 4ch to start with and then move to a 5/6 channel as needed once I determine what I be doing for the low end. Or can get a 5/6ch right up front and just use the channels as needed. Would at least need to have a LP xover on the rear channels (preferably BP) with a cut off freq up to at least 400hz to LP the ZR800s. And would like enough power to make complete use of the ZR800s capabilities. Also, it needs to be reliable and from a company that has good support in case there is a problem. Budget is < or = $500.

Here are some models I'm considering that I see up for sale currently:

Phoenix Gold Elite.4 (found one on craigslist within my budget)
    Phoenix Gold Ti2 1000.4 or 1600.5 (if I can get one within budget)
    Arc Audio 4150 xxk (~2008)
    US Amps AX4300 (~2006)
    Alpine PDX-F4, F6, V9 (readily available used most of the time)
    Rockford Fosgate T800.4 (Both the older class A/B or the newer Class D)
    JL XD400.4v2
    Zapco DC-1004

Now I have no direct experience with any of these amps... matter of fact I've never ran aftermarket with anything but built in HU power.
    So I'd like some feedback on your experience with these brand's reliability/support, buying an older amp vs newer (cap deteriation?), another recommendation or whatever else you want to tell me about that you think I should know
    Last edited by Truthunter; 07-05-2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: More info

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need some guidance on choosing an Amp

Rockford there is really good for the price
    http://www.caraudiojunkies.com/showt...light=rockford

Kelvin

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Quote Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
    Rockford there is really good for the price
    http://www.caraudiojunkies.com/showt...light=rockford

Kelvin
    Thanks for the link. I can add this to the list of possibilies...
    RF Power 1000 5ch

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Arc 4150XXK is one of the best amps I've owned. Gobs of clean power in a dead sexy case. Don't believe the 4x80 watt rating, it does over 130 per channel.
    Can't speak to the other choices.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

I'd also recommend the Arc 4150cxlr or xxk (basically same amp, different casing and minor updates) as well as the JL HD series. I actually have an HD900/5 fs in classifieds right now too. Stay away from the PG Elite and Ti2 in my opinion. The JL XDv2 amps are also quite good.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Quote Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
    I'd also recommend the Arc 4150cxlr or xxk (basically same amp, different casing and minor updates) as well as the JL HD series. I actually have an HD900/5 fs in classifieds right now too. Stay away from the PG Elite and Ti2 in my opinion. The JL XDv2 amps are also quite good.
    Thanks for the feedback.

HD 900/5 for some reason does not have the LP on the main channels like I need... which is surprising for their flagship line and the fact that the XD line has it on their 4ch

Why is your opinion to stay away from PG.. can you elaborate? I remember they used to be top dog back in the 90s but then got bought out by AMP I think. I guess they went downhill and never recovered?

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Sure thing. The PG Elite series have had some issues with overheating and QC. The TI's and lower lines have noisy fans and lack the quality (in my opinion) for the pricepoint. (I've owned several). I just think you get a better product/value with some of the others listed is all.

8. Back To Top    #8

Real Name
    Glenn (GLN305)
    Vehicle
    1996 Dodge Dakota Reg Cab

I will raise my hand for the Arc 4150 amp whether it be the variants listed so far or the FD4150 that's still available brand new from WoofersEtc.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Check into a Zapco St-105D BT. Looks like you can get a brand new one with warranty, plus they have a very small footprint.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Quote Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
    Sure thing. The PG Elite series have had some issues with overheating and QC. The TI's and lower lines have noisy fans and lack the quality (in my opinion) for the pricepoint. (I've owned several). I just think you get a better product/value with some of the others listed is all.
    Great, this is the kind of info I'm looking for from you veterans.