Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subwoofer postitioning in my Jeep Grand Cherokee

1. Back To Top    #1

Subwoofer postitioning in my Jeep Grand Cherokee

I'm planning on building a sealed box for my SSA G-CON 15. Before I plan the box I need to figure out which way a want to face the woofer and where I want to put the box in my trunk. My Jeep is an SUV obviously and therefore doesn't have a separated trunk. From what I gather, my best option is to have the woofer toward the liftgate and very close to the liftgate. It would be most convenient for me to place it flush with the back seats so I have space. It would also be cool to put my driver side back seat down and have the woofer fire toward me, but in another thread I was told that wouldn't sound good unless I had the box sealed off from the space behind it. Also I want to avoid rattling (I plan on getting Dynamat at a later date). Any help will be appreciated
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TrunkSubwooferPlacement_zps32a2600c.png 
Views:	3543 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	5145Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52460740.jpg 
Views:	1055 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	5144

Also in regards to this picture, are there only 3 ways to properly place a sub for optimal SQ?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Re: Subwoofer postitioning in my Jeep Grand Cherokee

Right up against the back of the seats , firing horizontally towards rear bumper would be my first choice :-)
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

In my Honda Element, I never tried Good A, Good C, or Bad C. Good B sounded awful, Bad A sounded great, and Bad B had slightly reduced output. Mine was a slightly wedge-shaped trapezoid with ports facing up...so I had the sub facing up and slightly forward, and the port straight forward. This gave me the best overall sound, but I could hear port chuff on some passages. Having the sub facing slightly up and ports facing back, I could no longer hear the chuff, but output was slightly diminished.

4. Back To Top    #4

This is what someone said on the last thread about that "bottom 2nd one is the box is right by the rear seats way too far from the trunk lid, you run into severe cancellation and delay which causes weak, sloppy and messy bass that will sound slower or off timing with your music"

5. Back To Top    #5

My main focus here is sound quality, I dont mind losing some output if I hear an overall better sound and less rattles in my car

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Wells View Post
    This is what someone said on the last thread about that "bottom 2nd one is the box is right by the rear seats way too far from the trunk lid, you run into severe cancellation and delay which causes weak, sloppy and messy bass that will sound slower or off timing with your music"
    I'm just telling you what I found from personal experience, and most people on here can attest that I didn't have sloppy or messy bass. The distance from the trunk lid has nothing to do with time alignment, the fact that the sub is actually farther away than the other speakers is what causes the timing to be off. Facing it forward or building a wall behind it isn't going to change physics.

7. Back To Top    #7

Would you say that pulling the back drivers side seat down and aiming the woofer toward me is a bad idea?

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

A subwoofer is an omnidirectional device, any time you can get as many boundaries to load and support the output the better off you will be.... Given the passband of a sub ALL boundaries will load, however the goal is to minimize interference coming from a loaded boundary if the enclosure is in the middle of the space.

9. Back To Top    #9

Can you put that a little more simply haha, also what do you think is ultimately the best for me use case scenario

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Wells View Post
    Can you put that a little more simply haha, also what do you think is ultimately the best for me use case scenario
    Install where you want it to fit with your requirements and tune Easy no?

Else you can do a false floor where most spare tires go
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_11_3298.jpg 
Views:	1667 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	5146Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jgti60.JPG 
Views:	777 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	5147

Kelvin