Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Babs' 08 Honda Civic Si Sedan

1. Back To Top    #301

Re: Babs' 08 Honda Civic Si Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Edited: Gents.. Before anyone takes my initial impressions to heart which might be biased, and goes buying a mat based on initial impressions.. Don't hold my excited initial impressions as fact for something you should research for yourself. I did some no-EQ 0db measuring of tweeters and it's not what I had hoped for or expected from just a very initial tweeter measurement, while I did hear differences which made me have an "enthusiastic" first impression.

not to mention the hows of what you measured and the methods used to post-process the data are all as important as using a mic at all.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

2. Back To Top    #302
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Maybe you are dealing with less reflections in your install therefore the A/B is not as dramatic as others have experienced?
    That's definitely a current hypothesis. I say my ears hear a difference and dunno if I'd call it dramatic, but it's there. Trick is to learn to measure it well and prudently, which I'm only learning to scratch the surface. Erin has given me a taste of how to interpret IR which might point to that. I've much to learn on IR.

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    I wonder if it's because of being angled more on axis versus upfiring or slightly tilted in a dash?
    All the above. Also the fact of where they're placed in proximity to dash in front of the tweeters is also a factor. And when the mat is there it covers all that, all the way up to bottom edges of tweeter rings at the pillars. More so on driver side.

I'll share this without too much early interpretation just the facts.. I measured with sweeps from single mic position which needs some method and setting improvements surely.. I also measured with pink noise my usual method of moving mic ear to ear. Response with that method did show a different curve than without the mat. However we're questioning that method. From sweep measurements single mic position, IR is also different, which if I understand Erin's explanation to me, indicates there is some reflectivity benefit from the mat from the tweeters. I don't want to go any further than that until I get some confidence my measurement methods and as stated, the analysis skills are sound.. No pun intended. I give Erin credit for that pun. LOL! Regardless the exercise is teaching me I've plenty to learn still just in measuring.

And thanks Steve and Erin for the assistance once again. SQ is hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Babs; 03-21-2017 at 03:40 PM.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

3. Back To Top    #303
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, director installation.

So rolling around ideas, decided the spot aft the gear shifter where the little coin pocket is would be best. Got to thinking, which is dangerous.. What if I flushed it in there, would it work? So.....

With some disassembly I ended up here..

2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log

4. Back To Top    #304
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Now to tear down again, remove useless toslink, run wire for the Helix Director, double check some stuff, remove old Helix 2-knob remote, button up and tune.

I had tested the Director and man this thing is slick. Going to run two sources, the Sony GS9 maxed using Helix for volume, and a Fiio X5ii straight SPDIF coaxial, thank you Jason. Should be pretty slick.

2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log

5. Back To Top    #305
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

The TM's were certainly fun.. Out they go to a fun new build. More fun to be had if I stay in the doors. While I remain reluctant to consider a kick panel build due to space and complexity, I will pop the kick panels off and take a hard look. It would be nice to NOT have to cut a hole in metal parts. Also there are some harness and hood release stuff that would have to move. Easy stuff I'm sure for you guys who've done kick builds. For now I'm concentrating on an idea for the new midbass drivers in doors. But keeping options open.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log

6. Back To Top    #306
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

That Director looks slick flush mounted in. Nice work.

7. Back To Top    #307
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

I keep wanting to goad you into doing kicks...but since I'm not doing kicks, I can't. lol
    But I am interested to see what you do to your doors. I will probably build new grilles for mine and
    maybe do some pretty hefty mounting rings as well as deadener and MLV.

Jay

8. Back To Top    #308
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
    I keep wanting to goad you into doing kicks...but since I'm not doing kicks, I can't. lol
    But I am interested to see what you do to your doors. I will probably build new grilles for mine and
    maybe do some pretty hefty mounting rings as well as deadener and MLV.

Jay
    Yeah problem is not a whole lot of flat grill area to work with. Typical small car problems. But I am planning significant treatment additions (more CLD, hopefully better big-hole sealing, as much absorption material as I can use in there with Owens Corning 703). While kicks still have their advantages hopefully I can minimize the adverse backwave stuff into cabin from back-wave through the driver and transmission through the door card.

2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log

9. Back To Top    #309
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

I was talking to Richard Papasin, and he's running Illusion C8's in the doors of his ram, and doesn't have any issues. Makes me a little more hopeful that I can pull it off. I don't feel like relocating a fusebox, and I like having legroom again. lol

Jay

10. Back To Top    #310
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
    I was talking to Richard Papasin, and he's running Illusion C8's in the doors of his ram, and doesn't have any issues. Makes me a little more hopeful that I can pull it off. I don't feel like relocating a fusebox, and I like having legroom again. lol

Jay
    Yeah I think breaking out a saw to sheet metal even doesn't phase me as much as the royal PITA of moving harnesses, fuse box or whatever that is on passenger side, hood release etc.

2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log