Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to make a THICK acrylic viewing window for a subwoofer box amp rack etc

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: How to make a THICK acrylic viewing window for a subwoofer box amp rack etc

Dang, that would make one cool custom microwave door.

Seriously though, that is superb! Very cool Mr. Mark!
    Are you not entertained?!?!

2. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Sorry, I saw the video, but missed the thread....that turned out awesome. Did you use a standard carbide bit at normal speed, or did it take some adjustment?
    Normal old 1/2" flush trim, when you step through the bearing it makes life good. Everyone should have a flush trim bit and adjustable bearings, trying to show just how much can be done with those.

3. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by pocket5s View Post
    Same here. Didn't notice the thread. I have always seen them inlaid and bolted in that way. Nice to see a different take on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thought about doing it that way but I really wanted to show shaping the acrylic, without getting too carried away with a bunch of router tricks to make it sit down in. Hopefully some guys will still try this out even if they don't shape the acrylic, at least they know they can bolt in a rectangular piece.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Do you think a 1/2" piece of acrylic about 60"x12" would be stout enough to be the front of an under seat box with (4) 8" subs mounted to it? I don't know if I could afford a piece of 3/4" that big... The rest of the box would be 3/4" MDF.

5. Back To Top    #15

"stout enough" to achieve what? I will flex and resonate unless you support or jacket it at that length.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Quote Originally Posted by slade1274 View Post
    "stout enough" to achieve what? I will flex and resonate unless you support or jacket it at that length.
    I guess to not disintegrate. So, as a baffle that may be lit, you think I would have to come up with some really cool looking inside supports, but 1/2" might be feasible...

7. Back To Top    #17

I'd wager it would still flex a bit- would you notice the effect on the sound? Probably not. And it's just a gut feeling from past experience- if I had to use a 12" wide 1/2" piece of pleixi in a sub box, I'd probably try to secure it to an internal brace every 12" on the length.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

With (4) 8's, wouldn't I have to have 3 braces to isolate each sub anyway, so that would be every 15" or so in a 60" box. So really, It would be flexing a 15"x10" area for each sub. Would that just be too much area for 1/2", or should I stick to all MDF?

9. Back To Top    #19

You don't need to isolate subs. And if there's a question- stick to MDF unless you need that showoff factor