Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Infiniti G37 Simple Build

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Nick

2010 Infiniti G37 Simple Build

*Done for user Krieger88 on DIYMA..*

Hey guys, thought i'd do a little build log of an install i did for our member Krieger88. He came to me with his 2010 Infiniti G37 sedan. It previously had a few installs and was reverted back to OEM before this. His goal was a simple install, with nothing really that flashy, and a good level of output and quality. I helped him piece together the equipment selected.

Scanspeak Illuminator ring radiators (i think r2004)
    Scanspeak 10F midranges
    JL Audio ZR800 midbass
    (2) Zapco ST-4XP amps
    Helix DSP

He previously also had a Zed Audio Minotaur and Fi Q 10" that we used. All of this is integrated into the OEM head unit

**NOTE** i am not to good at this build log thing. I never got pics of it 100% completed since i finished the final touches as he got there at about midnight to pick it up. So there may be some things that look off (like only two screws on mids in a pillars, no washers on baffles, etc..) but i assure you, everything is 100%. Besides grills for the a pillars. gotta mail those to him. I will also say i am not 100% satisfied with the color on the a pillars. i had to use grill cloth and paint to match. problem is, when you painted it, the paint would absorb into the fabric, but not the glue underneath. This would create what looks like paint splatter. its not very noticeable. only if you look closely. but it still bothered me. i offered Krieger88 a free re-wrap when i go back to working at the shop in the city so there is a much better selection of fabrics. Ill probably have access to oem matching headliner material that would be perfect.

Since he previously had systems in this car before from a previous installer, a few things didnt need to be done (like running power wire and main ground), and a lot of things needed to be redone or outright fixed (pretty much everything lol). He supplied a little rack to house the amps and dsp, and the sub was already in a sealed box. Both already carpeted.

Our plan was to do the JL zr800's in the kicks and mids and tweeters in the a pillar. The kick panels would have taken forever and a ton of work due to there being fuse panels and other modules there that would have needed to be relocated. We settled on midbass in the doors which already had CLD applied. I then used STP BTP 10 GOLD closed cell foam to decouple the door cards from the door. Let me tell you, i think this may be the best CCF on the market. Its thick, somewhat firm, but compresses to almost nothing with enough pressure.

So, back to the previous installs.. heres a preview of what i had to work around..

factory wires cut, twisted, and taped everywhere. not one little spec of solder or heat shrink was used. glued and screwed stock mids.

oh yeah. my favorite part.. the stock amp wiring. god damn this was a nightmare. The previous installer tapped into the rear signal. That wasnt going to fly with me. i redid all of the wiring with solder and heat shrink and tapped into the front stage pre amp signal

Before..

During..

After..

Onto the doors. I took the stock 10" speaker that was there and used that as a template for the baffle for the ZR800's. The baffles were made out of 3/4" HDPE. Used foam strip to decouple the two baffles from eachother and some STP SPL CCF to decouple the speaker from the baffle. Also applied some left over alphadamp i had to the outer door skin.

The workspace. You can see the stock mids on the sheet of HDPE

test fit..

deadened outer door skin and foam lined stock baffle

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Nick

Re: 2010 Infiniti G37 Simple Build

test fit.. this ended up not fitting with the door card on. the surround would have hit the card under high excursion i ended up rabbeting the cutout about a quarter of an inch. unfortunately didnt get pics of the finished install of these.

Every driver in the car got a set of XT60 connectors (these things are awesome), all soldered and heat shrunk for easy and reliable quick connections. The amps end all got the female end of the xt60's to lower any possible chances of a short if/when the speakers are ever disconnected and the system is on. The tweeters also got 47uF caps inline to help protect them just incase.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Nick

Next up was the a pillars. The guideline for these was getting the best sound possible while not being crazy obtrusive and retaining the side window de-fogging vents. This meant i couldnt really recess the mid into the pillar to get it on axis while still being as wide and non-obtrusive as possible. Nutserts and machine screws used for ease of installation.

They ended up being flush mounted and used painted grill cloth (that im hoping to replace with oem headliner or anything else Krieger88 would want, see the **NOTE** above). i didnt get any pics of them finished unfortunately.

Next came the sail panels. I personally really like how they came out. On axis with the scan tweeters, finished in sem texture coating and sem trim panel black paint.

First, find and mark where the lowest point on them can be obtrusive. See scratch mark to mark it off.

Then cut em and glass em. unfortunately, no setup and mid-glassing pictures.

Before final touch ups and sanding..

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Nick

They took me a few tries to get the finish i want. If i wasnt satisfied, i sanded the paint off and got them perfect again. I ended up finishing by sanding to 240 grit, doing 1 light layer, 1 medium layer, and 1 heavy layer of SEM Filler high build primer. Sanding that to 400 grit. 1 light layer, then 2 heavy layers of SEM texture coating. Then 1 light layer and one medium layer of SEM trim panel black paint.

After primer..

guidecoat to sand to 400 grit..

after 2 layers of texture coat. never got any pics of them finished until they were installed.

Amp rack had barrier strips for neat wiring for quick and easy installations.

Finished amp rack.

Finished and installed sail panel..

a pillar and sail panel installed. This was just a test fit with the pillars which is why only two screws are installed. never got any 100% finished pics since i ran out of daylight.

Again, unfinished pillars. just test fitting.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Damn fine work!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Damn fine work!
    Thanks Al!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

If the a-pillars are anywhere close to the quality of work in the sail panels, I'm sure they are beautiful! Very nice work!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
    If the a-pillars are anywhere close to the quality of work in the sail panels, I'm sure they are beautiful! Very nice work!
    Thanks! you cant see them in the pics? lol. theyre very basic, but are flush mounted. only thing that changed was i actually put in all 4 screws, and made grill cloth grills after i took pics

9. Back To Top    #9

Nice work nick! How's she sound?

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by claydo View Post
    Nice work nick! How's she sound?
    thanks clay. pretty good. but i only had two hours of tuning. tonality wise, upper midbass to lower midrange is a little hot. staging is fine though. nothing crazy. customer lives in long island and i go back to working in the city in two days, so i told him when he wants to take me up on that offer for a re-wrap on the pillars on me, he can whenever he wants. same thing goes for more tuning