Thread: Doing some painting

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2006 Civic Si

Doing some painting

I decided to replace my IM gasket to a Hondata unit and in the process I failed to read the instructions and bent two studs. Not a massive problem though. Gave me a chance to do some things I've been putting off. One of these was doing a coolant bypass from the TB, replacing the stock metal IM gasket, and even painting the Valve cover, and IM.

Now I didn't take any pictures of the IM while painting it but used VHT Flat Black header paint (ya I know way over kill but its what I had). Taped off all mating surfaces, and plugged the injector holes. I applied 3 coats to the IM itself. Came out really nice. I will get some pictures of everything on the car itself.

Now it was time to get the valve cover off and done. In the process of taking the cover off I just did a simple check of all the components (except the spark plugs as they are basically brand new). All seals are pliable and have no visible sings of ware/cracking and the coil packs look really good as well. General inspection of the valves, cam lobs, etc... look great as well.

Anyway onto some pictures of the valve cover:

Main reasons for re-painting. There were only a few places the stock paint started to peel and some corrosion as well:

Back part:

Applied some paint stripper to help soften the paint:

Now at this point I stripped what paint I could with a wire wheel and the applied primer. Turned out like crap so I restarted and had my cousin sand blast the valve cover for me. Made worlds of difference.

I then used some SEM High build primer ( as there were very small amounts of paint still on the piece). Did 3 coats of that with some light sanding in between to help shape some of the worst areas. I then used some SEM Self etching primer to help fill any small voids. I then applied the VHT paint:

These pictures look gray but in real life its definitely flat black:

Also painted the plastic spark plug wiring cover as well. Used VHT Chevy Red for this (matches the IM cover).

Overall it turned out great. Just wish I had the space and time to tare the entire engine/trans out and do a complete repaint of the engine bay and paint the block, any accessories, etc...

Oh also repainted (just used VHT engine enamel primer and on top of that I used VHT engine enamel clear coat as well) the upper radiator mount as I had to remove that to get the IM out. Doesn't match the stock color but no one will ever see it other than those who work on the car and I'm not worried about it.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Re: Doing some painting

That's gonna look good

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Looks terrific!

Does SEM high build primer have the same high heat rating that's needed for these parts? I was curious about that..

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2006 Civic Si

I haven't ever had a issue with it. I wouldn't put it on headers or directly on the block itself. I would use a high temp primer for that. I didn't have enough VHT primer for this so hopefully it doesn't bite me in the butt. Don't see it doing so though.
    Last edited by Beckerson1; 03-20-2016 at 03:03 PM.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Looks like a K series cover, what vehicle?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    2006 Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Looks like a K series cover, what vehicle?
    2006 Civic Si

K20Z3

Same engine as the 2007-2010 Acura CSX and Type-S IIRC