Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about a fiberglass set up

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Re: Question about a fiberglass set up

Baloney cut...who woulda thunk it? Al, you get me...lmfao!!!

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Hehe, it's what motorcycle builders call an angled cut on an exhaust pipe end. I guess you could mock it up with cardboard and then glass over it. The only other option I could think of would be PVC.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Quote Originally Posted by papacueball View Post
    Are you wanting to make a waveguide for each speaker? Or just for looks? What information do you intend for these speakers to play? Dedicated center channel? Midbass? Subwoofer?
    I don't know what a waveguide is, Papa. I'm thinking it would be less obstruction in the center than in the traditional kick panel corners...

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

How about giving us a pic of the dash and/or console so we can see what you're working with

5. Back To Top    #15

the actual speaker would be at the back of the baloney cut? My brain that has been conditioned to eliminate reflections- especially early on- says don't try this. I remember a topic on baffle step that concluded that even rounding the edges of the front baffle of a speaker- that is an edge that isn't even raised, but flush with the driver- provided a smoother frequency response. I'm sure one of the geeks can essplain what is happening.

Properly executed wave guides have a ton of maths and design to them..... just sayin'.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Point taken! I just saw this cut out a couple times and thought it looked cool. The ones I saw were possibly on a red Monte Carlo on here (the a pillar was cut like this, but then carpeted over, I think), and I saw another a pillar with this cut on a you tube video I was watching trying to learn how to fiberglass a pillars...

So, I should definitely not even waste my time pursuing this? I don't want to do a ton of work for no apparent reason, which is why I'm bugging you guys so much before I have even finished purchasing everything! As always, thank you guys for the info and the heads up...

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

I understand wanting to put a divider so you don't hear the right center, and the passenger doesn't hear the left, but I just don't think it'll work the way you want it. But...it never hurts to try

8. Back To Top    #18

Dunno... just giving my .02. I find that I won't live long enough to make all of life's mistakes myself, so I try to glean and learn from others. Methinks it isn't the most ideal way to get the 'essques' and I would focus efforts on something more practical and proven.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

I think I will follow you guys' first instinct and not try it on my big truck. I have an '85 that we are threatening to start re-doing, and I can play with that one as much as I want. I think I'd rather get this system up and going, so I can really see where I stand as far as the pieces I've chosen.

As long as we are discussing fabrication and glassing things, is there an all-in-one fiberglass kit that you guys would recommend for a beginner that would have everything included to do a-pillars and kick panels? I don't know how much in volume I would go through doing those 4 mods. Maybe a kit that would give me plenty of working time in a room temperature garage (@65 degrees or so), and included like the finishing bondo, etc. I can gather all the tools needed, it's just the liquid, cloth, and other stuff I'm not sure about.

10. Back To Top    #20

At that temp, you should have plenty of pot life (working time).... possibly too much. No "kit" exists, but I'd be happy to help with needed materials. First- how quickly do you want it to "set"? Two resin types you can use is polyester and epoxy. Polyester stinks to all hell, but does kick and harden to full cure faster than epoxy as it can be adjusted with the ratio of hardener to resin to make a "hot batch" to compensate for the cooler temps. Epoxy can do the same to a degree, but it's a bit touchier. I did an epoxy bar coat on the outside cantina bar last summer in Fla- when that kit kicked (began to catalyze and harden), it kicked HARD. That process is exothermic, so it gives off heat. When concentrated in a quart plastic cup, it is tremendous heat. Starts to smoke and can easily melt the plastic and ruin whatever is around it. Tried mixing two at a time and when I was done spreading the first, the second was hard and smoking. Dropped it in a bucket of water for safety. I had done that to a lesser degree with polyester in the past to get a fast cure at colder temps, but never that big of a batch. Anyway- If you want to like the fiberglassing process enough to do it again, you need to buy good product. If you don't have a boat supply place local that has quality material, buy from US Composites. Decide if you want Polyester or Epoxy resin- later I will recommend mixing per directions and using a heat gun/hair dryer once the glass is laid up to heat the area and begin kicking off- to which point it will sustain itself with its own heat.
    Also, you can go cheap on body filler, but Rage Gold is so much easier to use that it's almost fun. If you want structural strength from the filler, you will need to go with BondoGlass though. A bit tougher to work with, but the stuff cures like a rock.