Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about a fiberglass set up

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Re: Question about a fiberglass set up

I will be in no hurry to get these done, so the curing time will not be an issue. Just looking for the most user friendly materials, and need to know approximately how much of each material I will need. From your description, sounds like polyester resin would be the better solution for me. Do you think a gallon of resin would be enough to do all 4 areas?

2. Back To Top    #22

probably more than you need. the resin is just to fuse the glass together- use just enough to saturate. That being said, buying a second quart after coming up short would probably cost you more than the gallon. Just like drywall mud- five gallon pail is the price of one and a half gallon pails.

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

I'd better go with a gallon, assuming my first attempt will not be show quality work... Does the hardener come with the resin?

4. Back To Top    #24
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by slade1274 View Post
    At that temp, you should have plenty of pot life (working time).... possibly too much. No "kit" exists, but I'd be happy to help with needed materials. First- how quickly do you want it to "set"? Two resin types you can use is polyester and epoxy. Polyester stinks to all hell, but does kick and harden to full cure faster than epoxy as it can be adjusted with the ratio of hardener to resin to make a "hot batch" to compensate for the cooler temps. Epoxy can do the same to a degree, but it's a bit touchier. I did an epoxy bar coat on the outside cantina bar last summer in Fla- when that kit kicked (began to catalyze and harden), it kicked HARD. That process is exothermic, so it gives off heat. When concentrated in a quart plastic cup, it is tremendous heat. Starts to smoke and can easily melt the plastic and ruin whatever is around it. Tried mixing two at a time and when I was done spreading the first, the second was hard and smoking. Dropped it in a bucket of water for safety. I had done that to a lesser degree with polyester in the past to get a fast cure at colder temps, but never that big of a batch. Anyway- If you want to like the fiberglassing process enough to do it again, you need to buy good product. If you don't have a boat supply place local that has quality material, buy from US Composites. Decide if you want Polyester or Epoxy resin- later I will recommend mixing per directions and using a heat gun/hair dryer once the glass is laid up to heat the area and begin kicking off- to which point it will sustain itself with its own heat.
    Also, you can go cheap on body filler, but Rage Gold is so much easier to use that it's almost fun. If you want structural strength from the filler, you will need to go with BondoGlass though. A bit tougher to work with, but the stuff cures like a rock.
    Rage Gold is definitely nice.

Yeah I picked up some Poly 435 Resin from US Composites for when I can get down to Mic's for some 1-on-1 training for a pillar project. 3M mask is on the shelf for sure. I haven't cracked it open yet but I can imagine it'll knock you out.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Should I use the 435, or the 700 poly resin?

6. Back To Top    #26

435. And Babs brings up a great point that I forgot since making the shift to epoxy- you will need a CHEMICAL VAPOR respirator with the polyester resin.... and subsequent selfie wearing it. The long timers will respect you most for the selfie.

Hopefully Ziggy stops in and can post his photo shop of all the selfies giving the bird so the long timers can get a much needed laugh.

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Gotcha! Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar