Thread: Question about Exisiting XM Hook Ups

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about Exisiting XM Hook Ups

I recently bought a 2004 Honda Civic used. It seems that the previous owner installed hook ups for a XM satellite unit in the car. I have three cables running across my dash by the windshield. They are a 2.5mm audio cable, power cable, and also a antenna cable. I also found a magnetic antenna on the exterior of the car which has a wire running down the windshield into the interior of the car. Here is my question.

Could I splice in a 3.5 mm plug on the 2.5mm audio cable or use an adapter on the 2.5mm audio cable for a possible aux input? Would the radio recognize the signal coming from the cable without any of the other cables in use?

I want to be able to use my smartphone in the car and it seems like somebody already did some work to make this happen with an XM and I would to piggy back off that if possible. If I can I would like to avoid buying a radio and taking the dash off, but if I have to I will just trying to take advantage of something already installed in the car.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Question about Exisiting XM Hook Ups

I don't see why it wouldn't work, it just depends on how it's hooked up behind the radio. I guess it's possible it's is using some kind of adapter to get the signal into the factory XM plug, so you would just have to switch to XM to play it...but I think it's more likely that it's using an RF modulator inline with the radio antenna. If that's the case, you would have to tune the radio to a certain channel to hear it, something like 87.1 or 88.1. You might have to do some trial and error to see.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the reply. Well I will give it a shot tonight just thought I would see if someone had experience with it. I think it is plugged into the cd changer port as I have read the radio in Civics have a port for them, and also the CD button on the radio has TAPE below the CD, but there is no tape deck on the radio. I found a interface on Amazon that plugs into that port, but I didn't know if the port needed some sort of power feedback to acknowledge the signal from my phone. I will just have to give it a shot and see what happens.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Katja Ziegler

Quote Originally Posted by Deranma View Post
    I recently bought a 2004 Honda Civic used. It seems that the previous owner installed hook ups for a XM satellite unit in the car. I have three cables running across my dash by the windshield. They are a 2.5mm audio cable, power cable, and also a antenna cable. I also found a magnetic antenna on the exterior of the car which has a wire running down the windshield into the interior of the car. Here is my question.

Could I splice in a 3.5 mm plug on the 2.5mm audio cable or use an adapter on the 2.5mm audio cable for a possible aux input? Would the radio recognize the signal coming from the cable without any of the other cables in use?

I want to be able to use my smartphone in the car and it seems like somebody already did some work to make this happen with an XM and I would to piggy back off that if possible. If I can I would like to avoid buying a radio and taking the dash off, but if I have to I will just trying to
    take advantage of something already installed in the car.

Any help is much appreciated.

They were great when I was turning loud for a trim panel on a MCC82 in my Y
    aris 2017