Thread: My Listening Room

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Robert or Mac
    Vehicle
    2012 Charger RT

My Listening Room

our house has a decent size game room that I plan to eventually turn in to a home theater. however until then, I wanted to setup a listening room to try out various speaker combos and also as a place to listen to help train my ears.

I finally got around to getting started on this, albeit it is a bit messy and unfinished. As I don't yet have any home amplifiers, or even a decent receiver, I took a spare rane 26z I had, one of the JL xd600/6's from the car (which is being rebuilt so the amp wasn't being used), hooked up my ipod to the rane, and used that as a starting point.

Starting off, I have a pair of AE TD10M speakers in a roughly 1 cubic foot enclosure each, paired with scan speak tweeters.

This is the pic I took right after I got it all playing.

I had this for about 2 weeks. The 10's are midranges and as such don't really do well at sub duties. so I needed a sub. I could have taken my JL13w7 upstairs but the thought of carrying that beast up a flight of stairs and the enclosure kept me from it. A while back I bought some Exodus Anarchy drivers to play with. And one enclosure I've been wanting to build for a year or two is the tapped horn designed for that speaker. it was designed by a guy on the AVS forum a few years ago who does several horn designs. This one is a 25hz tapped horn with a bandwidth of 25-100hz.

Here is a pic from part of the instructions:

The plans call for a single 5x5 sheet of baltic birch. I didn't have that, so I got a sheet of MDF instead. took 3/4 of that sheet to build this. Here is mine with the fold panels glued up:

The plans don't call for an access panel to get the sub in and out. It is meant to be put in before gluing on the 2nd side. but I wasn't sure if I was going to keep this, so I cut an access panel on mine, which can be see on the right side of that pic, and here:

It is 30" tall, 7 1/4" wide and I think 26" deep.

and here it is wired up

i had to readjust some levels because the sub isn't as sensitive as the other drivers, but once I got that settled in I was pleased with it. While it can do well on it's own, I think a second one would be wise and having four would really rock it.

As far as the AE/scan combo goes. well... they are frickn awesome

at the moment the sub xo is 100hz@24db to the AE. the AE to Scan crossover is 2k@12db. I originally had them @24db and they sounded fine without any issue. switched to 12db and the tweeters still don't complain. I may try 1500hz@24db just to see how that goes at some point.
    MASQ partner and judge
    MobileAudioSQ.com

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: My Listening Room

When I finally get my garage built ... I plan to turn my spare bedroom into a listening room. I would like to try out building a "Wicked One" enclosure

http://www.decware.com/newsite/wo32.htm

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle
    2007 Exploder XLT

nice build. I'm surprised it didnt call for the inside edges of the MDF to be roundover to reduce port noise.
    Follow me on Instagram at #bobditts

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Very nice! Cool horn enclosure for the Anarchy too. If you wanted four of those though, can't help but wonder about just using the 13W7 instead
    Are you not entertained?!?!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Jon/Jonnie
    Vehicle
    2007 Cobalt

I have a pair of the anarchy drivers as well that are just in boxes if you need a couple more down the road.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Robert or Mac
    Vehicle
    2012 Charger RT

Having four is just a thought I might go ahead and build one more though.

Also, having multiple subs in a room can be beneficial in eliminating room modes, but we will see.

I may have popped one tonight. Apparently some blues track I was listening to had more low end that I thought and it went overdrive on the little guy. Thankfully I had the laptop, well, in my lap, and so I muted the channel pretty quick. Listened to another track and it sounded bad. Like maybe the spider came loose and it lost all control. I'll know more when I take it out tomorrow.

Besides that, I'm absolutely loving the AE/scan combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MASQ partner and judge
    MobileAudioSQ.com

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Robert or Mac
    Vehicle
    2012 Charger RT

Quote Originally Posted by bobditts View Post
    nice build. I'm surprised it didnt call for the inside edges of the MDF to be roundover to reduce port noise.
    Good observation and question. My uneducated guess is that the velocity is pretty low and the opening has more area than the driver itself as well.

I do know that horns generate a lot of internal pressure but otherwise I rarely see a horn build that does round over the mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MASQ partner and judge
    MobileAudioSQ.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    When I finally get my garage built ... I plan to turn my spare bedroom into a listening room. I would like to try out building a "Wicked One" enclosure

http://www.decware.com/newsite/wo32.htm
    I've got several sheets of no-void furniture grade "hardwood" ply from Guyana, I intended to use to make some Decware Imperials. Was going to put a pair of TAD 1601b's with their Alnico magnets, in them with an 18" 18 Sound sub, as substitutes for the drivers they used, I think it would extend the lower registers and still have enough up top to hand off to a pair of strong 1" throat whatever horns, possibly a JBL M2 look-alike settled into the small panel beneath the TAD in the front face.

something like 6 years now, the plywood leans against the wall, haha.. I had the plans in a computer that went down and I just haven't taken the time to either buy(replace) the lost info or use a salvage connector to transfer the files... Not a computer wiz, unfortunately.

seems like every time I get near starting the build I talk myself out of it, but I am pretty sure I would have the loudest pair of monitors around here, if only they weren't quite so huge.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I built one of his Deathbox designs years ago, but wasn't too impressed by the output. It might have just been the driver I was using at the time didn't work well with the enclosure.