View Poll Results: Would you sell your car with the system in it?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 70.59%
  • No

5 29.41%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you sell your car with the system in it?

1. Back To Top    #21
    Vehicle
    Tacoma

Re: Would you sell your car with the system in it?

I know this is old but I've rapidly gone thru a few vehicles and systems recently. I voted yes but to me it depends.

Dealership: If I leave anything in there it would only be because of mods that can't be reversed and I'll put crap gear in there that fits. (Was in a time crunch and bad place because of a very sick Grandmother and a divorce and a move back home so I traded the truck with stereo and lift on it. Regretted it later because it was good quality stuff but only after my emotions settled and logic re entered.)

Private Party: Sure, for a FAIR price and if they aren't into this hobby then again, replace good stuff with less expensive gear.

Friend or Forum Member: Sure, for fair price, trades, etc. lol.

Like Chad said, it was hard to swallow the fact that as tasteful as mods to a vehicle can be, only 1% of people will be interested in them and only 1% of that 1% will be willing to pay for them.

Ive never competed so I'm not sure about those ramifications but my ego would prolly be butt hurt if I did and someone beat me with My set up. Lol. Only for a min tho.
    Last edited by Marc1234; 11-29-2016 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Autocorrect and I disagree about some things....

2. Back To Top    #22
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Yeah when I finally break down and let the Civic go, she'll be getting the shitty OEM crrrrrrrrap right back in. But that means work so... There's a trade-off. Which is the double-edged sword of a lot of fancy fabrication I suppose. At sell time it'd be a shame to see all kinds of beautiful amp rack, pillars, kicks and work all around that you're going to scrap. However, examples of extreme fabrication such as Kirk Proffitt's Acura for example, shoot yeah, sell as is to new competitor. Then it's a different ball of wax there than selling to someone off the street not into car audio.

I think it depends more on the level of fabrication than the gear itself, and the buyer found and their preference. Could list as an "SQ" car first, then if no bites, scrap and sell to some kid without the gear or fabrication.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Tough call. Looks like a tough sell, such as the S-10 on diyma for $6k plus for a $4k truck. It would prob just become a pet project and go extreme instead of giving it away for nothing. My wife's dad just gave us a 95 Chevy step side in awesome shape bcuz they offered him $2k to trade it. Now we all have a truck to use and abuse pulling trailers around, moving, transporting mdf, etc.

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Warning, typical old-skool Chad post below.......

Anyone that thinks they can sell their car for more than book becuase of the "system" either:

a: has something that someone they know really desires.
    b: is really good at sucking dick.

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

It depends for me. If I was selling private party to someone that would appreciate the gear and work done I'd let it go with the gear in it. If I didn't have a lot of money in the gear I would just throw it in for free. It's pretty much a given that the labor you put into something isn't worth a dime. Some of you were in the conversations when I was thinking heavily about buying Glenn's beautiful Ram. He was going to sell it to me for what I considered more than fair for private party and leave it as it was when I was around it at Al's meet. Since I backed out he'll be returning it to bone stock. All I would have done is put my processor in it and call it good. Now Kirk's TL will probably go to someone heavy into car audio when he's done with it. That car is legendary.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

6. Back To Top    #26

Someone bought the TL already. Kirk sold it after finals last year and the guy competed with it this past year. Did well, too.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Well hell I've been living under a rock I guess. What's Kirk using now? Or did he retire from "comp life"?
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Jose
    Vehicle
    VW Passat Wagon

When it came time for my to depart with my Old Honda Accord (MECA Custom/Master Car), Only thing left in that car that was related to aftermarket audio , 17" wheels, and eibach springs was removed. The pillars stayed (minus mid and tweeter) and the hole in the kick for the 6.5s were left empty.. Now if I would have found someone to buy it up, probably would sold it all and probably would have used those funds for the next project..

9. Back To Top    #29
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

I'm not a competitor but if I was, and the car in question was modified and performed well at competition, then it likely wouldn't end up in the hands of someone who could use it against me. I once knew a guy who had a phenomenal enclosure in a Nissan pickup that was highly sought after when he pulled the gear and sold the truck. The box was never used again and it seemed like a jerk move to those that wanted it but I understood his reasoning. He didn't want other people gaining reputation off of something that he had built for himself. They should do it for themselves. Anyone who has built something that worked and then chased those results on later builds might understand that it can be difficult to compete against your best ever.

Now if we are talking about a demo vehicle like the Pro Audio S-10 that has changed hands, I say sure. Pass that along so that others can enjoy something like that as it was meant to be. The same with a daily driver that has custom gear. If the buyer wants it as is and it wouldn't greatly profit me to part it out then yeah, I'd let it go as a whole.
    Last edited by MoparMike; 11-30-2016 at 08:08 PM.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Now Kirk's TL will probably go to someone heavy into car audio when he's done with it. That car is legendary.
    Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    Someone bought the TL already. Kirk sold it after finals last year and the guy competed with it this past year. Did well, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Well hell I've been living under a rock I guess. What's Kirk using now? Or did he retire from "comp life"?
    Got to hear it at finals this year. Rob Bess now owns it and supposedly a lot has changed with the car. I can't confirm that, but I literally stumbled out of the car after hearing it blown absolutely away by what I heard. Scan tweets and Morel mids up in the dash corners.. Certainly made me realize never to scoff at dash corner locations, not that I ever would really. But also I'll never scoff at someone using a pro-audio processor as well. I owe Bill (FJ Cruiser) a beer of his choice next time and a 6-pack of his favorite tea, for literally grabbing me by the arm and putting me in that car before I had to get back on the road. Talk about ending the day on a high note. That's a car that should never be sold 'without' the system. It's got a life of it's own now regardless who owns it. Haven't heard but maybe a couple big-$ home systems rockin' B&W 800 series or equivalent mains that were as good as that Ac'.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did