View Poll Results: Would you sell your car with the system in it?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 70.59%
  • No

5 29.41%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you sell your car with the system in it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Would you sell your car with the system in it?

I've seen a few threads in the past couple years where guys with very well put together (and competition winning) systems have been sold as-is. System, install, tune all as-is.

It got me thinking, would I do the same? So, here's the question:
    Assuming you got fair market value for your car/gear would you sell your car with the system/tune in it? Let's say your car is valued at $4k and your gear is valued at $2k and your asking price reflected that. (keep in mind, you could sell your gear for that price if you plucked it out and sold it separately)

Would you have reservations about selling your hard work? The install you did (or paid for), the tune, and all the hours? If you compete, would it bother you to know that you're selling an award winning system that you might not be able to beat? Is there any aspect that might cause you to give pause or could you care less as long as you got a reasonable price for it?

There's certainly no right or wrong answer and it may not be simple to answer for some. But it's something to ponder.
    Last edited by erinh; 02-14-2016 at 12:46 PM.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Rich

Re: Would you sell your car with the system in it?

The more important question is, are you selling the Civic?

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Salami View Post
    The more important question is, are you selling the Civic?

I wish I were at the point I could. That's at least another 3 years down the road. Still paying on my wife's accord until then. Besides, if it were my car those $4k/2k values you see mentioned above would be flip flopped. Lol.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

I probably wouldn't sell one with the gear in it, but the last one I traded in still had the wiring in it, tied off every 6 inches, as well as all the noise and vibration treatments. The bulk of the actual work right there, and the next owner still probably doesn't know it's in there.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

If as you said you got fair or asking price for all pieces what's the difference in selling it as a whole or trucking it to the post office piece by piece?
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't really know if I would or not. If I did, I would make sure the asking price would include a fair price for the equipment and amount of work. The tune, I guess I would let the work I've done go with it as well.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I voted yes, provided the equipment isn't some kind of rear piece.

Now, if I had a competition-winning system and I knew the buyer was going to use it to compete, I might have conflicting views. If the buyer continued to win with the car, everybody in-the know would know that I'm the one who built it...so the new owner may get the trophy, but I would feel the sense of accomplishment. However, if the new owner used it to compete directly against me (same class), I might feel otherwise.

8. Back To Top    #8

I think it depends on the price of the car first...
    In your example, the system is 1/3 of the asking price, I don't think it would be easy to sell your car VS other cars with similar mileage and age/condition.

Now if you were to sell a $20,000 used car, then it's a toss up.
    Depends on the gear you have inside - great gear you love but won't be able to find anymore (PHL drivers, Monolithic amps), I'd say keep them and buy some cheap walmart equipment to replace.
    If you have some easy to find gear, even expensive ones, then you decide if it's worth it to leave it in the car and up your asking price...

I sold 3 cars with gears still in:
    Ford had Pioneer HU+Pioneer Speakers F an R+Rockford amps. Everything went to the new owner ; did not up the asking price
    Mitsubishi had a Milbert Tube that I kept and replaced with an Audison Srx2s I had laying around. I left the Eclipse HU+Focal 3-way Kevlar+sub amp+Rockford sub - did not up the asking price
    BMW had Eclipse HU+ID Horns, 6ND430, DLS A2+A7 & RE Slim sub. Everything went to the new owner but I did ask $1,000 more for the gear

In the end, it's up to you

Kelvin
    Last edited by subwoofery; 02-14-2016 at 04:00 PM.

9. Back To Top    #9

This doesent really apply to me, as I usually drive a car until it's worthless, lmao. However, when I'm done with a car, I typically put the abnormally new looking stock gear back in that I snatch and shelve from every car I get.......

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Chris B
    Vehicle
    2019 Japanese 4dr Mustang

I sold my 97 civic with a system in it in 2010 and traded my 2006 Rustang in with a system in it in 2011. Oddly, I returned my 2012 WRX to stock when I traded it in 2013. I guess my answer is "it depends" lol
    2019 WRX Limited - Stock HK for now while waiting on parts to be developed...