Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Sound competition

1. Back To Top    #101
    Real Name
    Jon/Jonnie
    Vehicle
    2007 Cobalt

Re: Sound competition

my first competition was in 85 (yeah Im old) and was well attended. I had fun and always went whenever I could. Attended finals in 90 or 91 and really lost the desire to compete. There was lots of nice cars, but I always felt it should be about sound and not install. And how does how often my rca's are secured or power/ground for that matter- affect the sound of my vehicle at any given time. It should always be about sound and never install.
    I love the g2g's way more than any competition. its always nice to just get to be yourself and listen/learn.
    some of you may remember me and some may not know me. But may start spending more time on the forums again. I kinda lost the desire after getting sent on lifetime bandcamp for diyma.

2. Back To Top    #102
    Real Name
    Robert or Mac
    Vehicle
    2012 Charger RT

install has been optional for quite some time now, except at the expert level in iasca and the equivalent in usac. I guess eventually the orgs listened

There are those old schoolers who think install should still be mandated, and the fancier the install the better. personally I'm glad it isn't.

3. Back To Top    #103
    Real Name
    Jon/Jonnie
    Vehicle
    2007 Cobalt

bling has no bearing on sound, or at least may not. if one competitors vehicle sounds better than another- he should win every time reguardless of install or bling. in every category, unless they want to have an install competition

4. Back To Top    #104
    Real Name
    Robert or Mac
    Vehicle
    2012 Charger RT

Quote Originally Posted by dejo View Post
    bling has no bearing on sound, or at least may not. if one competitors vehicle sounds better than another- he should win every time reguardless of install or bling. in every category, unless they want to have an install competition
    and that's exactly what it is, a separate class if you will. again IASCA expert still has sound included as I recall.

5. Back To Top    #105

As soon as judges stop pre-judging a "system" based on brand names, you've done something. Of course, you would need to teach them to stop asking "what do you have?" in sound only classes. Will never happen, IMO.

Best experiences for me so far is a "judge" who said (and I quote): Don't listen to what I'm saying, listen to what I mean. Okay...

Same judge: You really need to know your equipment better and how it works.
    This was after I explained to him that my vehicle was set up for one seat and two people being in the vehicle might throw things off a bit.

Good times.
    Team EMD : Team Show Kitchen

6. Back To Top    #106
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle
    2006 MINI Cooper S Checkmate Edition

why aren't audio judges blindfolded during listening?

7. Back To Top    #107
    Real Name
    Robert or Mac
    Vehicle
    2012 Charger RT

I've never once had a judge ask me what I had. There are those that are biased in some way or another sure, but not all. Maybe I've just been lucky (?)

If they are blindfolded they can't write on the scoresheet now can they? Or change tracks on the head unit..

8. Back To Top    #108

That's easily fixed if they enter the car blindfolded and another guy is sitting next to them, making notes of what the judge says/scores and changing tracks/volume for them.
    Nick

9. Back To Top    #109
    Real Name
    Jon/Jonnie
    Vehicle
    2007 Cobalt

I still say a stripper in the back seat is worth an easy 5+ points on the score sheet.

10. Back To Top    #110
    Real Name
    Howard
    Vehicle
    Gonzo the Yota 3.0

Having a judge blind folded isn't practical. As a judge for MECA and IASCA I had to learn not to let what you see throw off what you hear. There are so many cars that put drivers in places just to throw you off so you have a preconceived notion of what you should be hearing. A well trained judge SHOULD NEVER LET THIS HAPPEN!!! I have gotten into cars that had "reputations" of being UNBELIEVABLE and they were bad and then had the exact opposite happen in others. There are competitors that will give you the "shit tune" on purpose just to see if you are being honest and there are some that will work their asses off to get you the best thing they possibly can and NEED that feedback from you and EXPECT it to be honest and real. If you cant explain what you are hearing as a judge and do it honestly then you shouldn't judge.