Adding pictures to a thread

From the Quick Reply box at the bottom of a thread:

1. Click the "Insert Image" button

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic1.png 
Views:	549 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	4530

2. You will have two options: A) upload image 'From Computer'...or B) get image 'From URL'

A) Upload image From computer:

Clicking "Choose Files" will bring up the upload box. Select your image(s) and click "Open"...you can add up to 10 images to a post. Click "Upload Files"

Note: The max uploadable file size is 4KB and image size of 6000x6000 pixels

Name:	pic2.png 
Views:	1704 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	4531

B) Get image from URL:

-Enter the web address of your image.
    -If "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" is checked, the forum software will attempt to copy the image to the database for permanent storage, and a thumbnail will be created to be displayed in the post. The image must end in a standard file format such as .jpg, .gif, .bmp, etc. ***If the image won't display properly, try it with the box un-checked For some reason, the software has been having issues retrieving remote files and has been giving an "Invalid URL" warning box. For now, uncheck the box as described below:
    -If the box is un-checked, the forum will attempt to display the liked image directly. Note: This will take up less space on the forum's hard drive and a thumbnail will not be created (the image will show full-size). The drawback is that if the link to the original image is broken, the post will become blank.

Name:	pic3.png 
Views:	529 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	4532

3. Once the image has been uploaded or attached, it should show up in the editor box.

Name:	pic4.png 
Views:	530 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	4533

4. Click "Post Quick Reply" and you should be done.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Adding pictures to a thread

From the Full Editor:

1. As before, click the "Insert Image" button

Name:	pic5.png 
Views:	515 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	4543

Steps 2 and 3 are the same as above OR you can insert previously-uploaded images by clicking on the "Manage Attachments" button

Name:	pic7.png 
Views:	514 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	4544

This will bring up the Attachment Manager

Name:	pic6.png 
Views:	504 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	4545

You can either check a previously-used attachment, or drag it to the box at the bottom, and then click "Insert Inline". Note: doing it this way will have the images show up as attachments as opposed to showing in the post itself. Also, a post can't contain these images alone, there MUST be some text or image in the post itself.

4. You can see how your post is going to look by clicking "Preview Post"

5. When finished, click "Submit"

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

What could go wrong?

If you make a post, go in to edit it, and delete the attachment, the thumbnail for the attachment will remain inline but it won't display anything but an attachment number which is a dead link

Example: If I go in to edit this post

Name:	pic8.png 
Views:	553 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	4546

...and decide to delete an attachment for some reason by clicking "Go Advanced, opening the attachment manager, and clicking "x" by the image

Name:	pic9.png 
Views:	510 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	4547

When I exit out and save the post. where the thumbnails should be, there are now just dead links

Name:	pic10.png 
Views:	518 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	4548

To fix this, you need to edit out the dead links as you would standard text, and re-upload your images.

4. Back To Top    #4

Is there a way to turn on the image resizer for posts that have pictures attached? In other words, pictures above a certain size will automatically be resized with a link to the full size image. This would help with some of the picture loaded threads. I know the feature is available on Vbulletin from when I ran a forum, just not sure if it is available on this forum.

I noticed it works in this thread, but in another thread, it is displaying the full size image (at least for me)
    re: the BMW side sub thread

Thanks
    MikeG

Current Rides:
    2015 Sonata Sport (OEM integrated system coming soon)
    2015 Chevy Traverse (Maybe a system later)

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

IIRC, I have it set up to do thumbnails after a certain number of images. I'll have to check the settings when I get home.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

I noticed over the last couple of days I can only upload 3 images at a time now. Why this change in policy? I was uploading up to ten images at a time last week.

What can I say, I like to show a photos vs. ramble on and on with words. Words suck

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

Sorry about that, some people have been having trouble uploading images due to size restrictions, so I bumped up the allowable size...but then, the forum software wasn't resizing them properly and every image was running off the edge of the page. I tried to find a happy balance, so now any image larger than a certain size will upload, but the forum will show a thumbnail which you can click and expand to full-size. In order to keep from overtaxing the system, I made it to where you can only upload 3 pics at a time. You can put up to 20 pics in a single post, but you will have to feed the software smaller bites (3 at a time).

I hope that makes sense.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2019 F150 Platinum

Hi Al,

I'm trying to add frequency measurements from REW so I can share in a post. Tried to export .frq but it doesn't upload, didn't think it was an image/pic option. Can you help or point me to exporting REW frequency measurements to upload(I saw the three limit), working on a MacBook, Thank you.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

In REW, Click the "Capture" button to save it as a .jpg or .png

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	413 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	15865

Another option is to use the Snipping Tool under Windows Accessories to take a screen shot and save as a .png

10. Back To Top    #10

I do not think .frq is an image file. Can you take a screen shot?

FWIW, I upload image files to https://imgbox.com/ first, and then link those images here via Insert Image tab.

Edit: Ah, Al beat me to it.
    "That's all, folks!"