Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In wall setup in the family room- PICS

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

In wall setup in the family room- PICS

We bought a foreclosure in rough shape in an awesome neighborhood about 5 months ago and have been working quite a bit over that time to get everything repaired and put back together. When I say rough shape, I mean water damage, (already remediated)half the drywall was missing, no flooring (subfloor only everywhere), stucco issues, roof, windows, plumbing, electrical, etc etc. It's been quite a project!

We had a fairly crappy fireplace and surround that came in the house. Basic, builder grade slop and the mantle was hanging out of the wall. Not surprising when we pulled it off and it was held onto the wall with about 4 nails! Somebody got lazy...

Anyway, in building out the new family room, we wanted to have some decent sound, but a small footprint so we could maximize the space in the room. Here's what the room looked like before:

In the second pic, you're looking at the back corner. There was a wall there that separated the kitchen and the family room. We knocked that down and ran a beam about 20ft across to carry the load and open up the space.

From the hall (through the missing drywall ) you can see the wall separating the rooms. It was a pantry closet.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Re: In wall setup in the family room- PICS

And with the wall removed and beam in place:

Anyway...We started working on getting the new surround designed and built out and finally wrapped it up this weekend. We did a nice stone tile around the fireplace insert and then decided to integrate the audio for a sleek look and to keep plenty of space (More on that later). I searched a bunch of designs and eventually just drew up my own and went with that. We built the surround out of pine and MDF and trimmed out nicely with some 1x3, crown, etc.

Unfortunately, I didn't get more pics after I painted the whole thing up and put the finishing touches on. I'll snap a few later tonight and post them up so you can see the finished product. Came out pretty good! The speakers used are a Dayton LCR mtm in wall for the center and the Speakercraft AIM Cinema One for the mains.
    In addition, we ran wiring when the walls were open for ceiling speakers for house audio. I installed a zone audio system with controls in each of the downstairs rooms that allow you to select an independent source and control volume in each room. I'll get some pics of those as well.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

that's a lot of snow
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

For you NC folks it is... That's a light dusting for us

5. Back To Top    #5

Nice work capn, sounds like yall tackled quite a big job!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Yeah, you could say that. New roof, a bunch of new windows, all new flooring, lots of drywall replaced, electrical, some plumbing, some stucco repair and chimney repair, appliances, all new kitchen cabinetry and counter tops, lighting fixtures, paint, etc etc...you name it. But we got a pretty killer deal on the place in a neighborhood with pretty good home values, so we got to make the house what we want and finish things up and still be ahead of the game equity-wise so we were very fortunate. It helps that we have been able to do a good amount of work ourselves to keep costs lower.

7. Back To Top    #7

Nice! I've seen so many folks sink big monies into houses that will never value up because of location, or surroundings. Smart move!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Wow, I'm so happy for you guys. Nice job getting it fixed up.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

That is amazing sir! Will be a very lovely home for you two.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Thanks all. I took a bunch of before photos when we bought the place so I'll post some with the updates