Thread: #FabricationFriday! Post your questions, get video answers!

1. Back To Top    #1

#FabricationFriday! Post your questions, get video answers!

What’s up guys? Something I have been wanting to do for a while is start making weekly videos that are an addition to the normal tutorial videos from the channel. I get a lot of questions from you guys and many times I know that making a video will help answer the question better. The idea here is post a question in this thread and each week I will pick a question from here (or other social media) to answer.

Last week I covered a question that I hear a lot on the forums: “How many layers of fiberglass should I use to make … “. You can check that video out here:

This week’s question was “How do I seal the terminal cup on the subwoofer box”. In this video I answer that question but also explain why I do not really like terminal cups and I go over some of the other ways to run wire from your amplifier to the subwoofer through the wall of the box. I also cover how to prevent vibration of the wire against the inside of the box:

Enjoy! Don’t forget to post your fabrication questions!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: #FabricationFriday! Post your questions, get video answers!

Cool info and tips as always. Thank you!
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Wow, awesome idea! Thanks for sharing, Mark.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle
    2007 Exploder XLT

Good video Mark. I have an idea for a future video. Would be good to have a "wake up" video for all the new kids out there who dont think it is important to SECURE the subwoofer enclosure (or any audio gear for that matter) to the vehicle. Any chance you could address that?
    Follow me on Instagram at #bobditts

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I gave Bob's post a thumbs up because it's a good idea, but a facepalm just because it's Bob.

I also had an idea (I posted it on your YouTube channel), have you ever worked with epoxy resin? What are the advantages and disadvantages of it versus polyester resin?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Much appreciate the recommended tools etc.. On an impulse buy, I FINALLY have a router.. clickity click on the phone and yesterday a Porter Cable 892 shows up. Bam!

I know you have a TON of great great router/fab related stuff in your vids.. Is there a single or group of vids where you kinda cover the basic necessities once a homey gets a router, now what? ..That kind of stuff. Stuff from lift/table to circle jigs, to basic starter bit setups. I certainly know I can't blow the wod yet on a wall of killer templates, but that one shaping template that holds a curve I saw looks like a solid investment.

I'm DEFINITELY wanting to do that 5gal bucket dust deputy setup. That's going to be an "essential" for basement shop work. The wife got a little hot after I made the basement look like a rested snow globe after just cutting a few pieces. Looking at various table/lift possibilities now. Wonder if this 892 needs a done deal lift or just a plate, etc.

.. In short, "router gear for the newb 101.. So you got your shiney new 892 Porter Cable.. Now what?".

Actually, searchy on your page for "router" and a whole plethora, a veritable cornucopia of router goodness is already there. I may just need to watch up again.

BTW, I might have contributed in the past.. Worth it! 80% or more of what I know of fabrication I've got from actually seeing it in your vids. A word of thanks!
    Last edited by Babs; 12-01-2015 at 08:58 AM.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

7. Back To Top    #7

When it comes to speaker adapters should we use MDF and coat it somehow to protect it from the elements withing a vehicle door, or should we use plastic materials? That’s covered in this weeks #fabricationfriday

8. Back To Top    #8

It's Fabrication Friday! So how do you mount door pods, false walls, amp racks and other fabricated items into a build? And once they are mounted how do you hide the fasteners? I address those questions in the weeks video!