Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Slow basic fairly low budget build

1. Back To Top    #61
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Re: Slow basic fairly low budget build

Something tells me you'll be seeing a lot more of the little bugger now that he knows where to find the "gourmet" nuts

2. Back To Top    #62
    Real Name
    Keele
    Vehicle
    17 Spark

Turns out there are 2 lil squirrels in the front yard. The littlest one is taking food from my hand & letting me pet it (one in pic). The slightly bigger one was barking & shit, so I took back the pecan I gave him. The little fucker charged me & ran halfway up my pant leg. Thought he was getting the "gourmet" nuts for sure, don't doubt he'd have put up a fight if I hadn't shook him off quick LOL

On another note I took the case apart for the deh-80 remote & got out some cat5 cable. Spent some time following circuit traces & soldering wires in place. Ordered a handful of micro momentary switches, got a 1/2" x 3" strip across the front of the armrest that imo will be perfect for remote buttons. I'd post some pics but my camera & photo skills suck so its just a blurred circuit board.

3. Back To Top    #63
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Quote Originally Posted by Keele81 View Post

I took the case apart for the deh-80 remote & got out some cat5 cable. Spent some time following circuit traces & soldering wires in place. Ordered a handful of micro momentary switches, got a 1/2" x 3" strip across the front of the armrest that imo will be perfect for remote buttons. I'd post some pics but my camera & photo skills suck so its just a blurred circuit board.
    That's a cool idea

4. Back To Top    #64

Oh shit, attack of the greedy squirrels!

5. Back To Top    #65
    Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Keele81 View Post
    Turns out there are 2 lil squirrels in the front yard. The littlest one is taking food from my hand & letting me pet it (one in pic). The slightly bigger one was barking & shit, so I took back the pecan I gave him. The little fucker charged me & ran halfway up my pant leg. Thought he was getting the "gourmet" nuts for sure, don't doubt he'd have put up a fight if I hadn't shook him off quick LOL

On another note I took the case apart for the deh-80 remote & got out some cat5 cable. Spent some time following circuit traces & soldering wires in place. Ordered a handful of micro momentary switches, got a 1/2" x 3" strip across the front of the armrest that imo will be perfect for remote buttons. I'd post some pics but my camera & photo skills suck so its just a blurred circuit board.
    Quote Originally Posted by AL9000 View Post
    That's a cool idea
    Awesome idea. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #66
    Real Name
    Keele
    Vehicle
    17 Spark

Guitar pick is a hell of a little tool for prying shit like that open without damage. Tested it tapping wires & then with micro switches I'd pulled from a broken dvd player. Worked great & was nearly free. Used common power so I didn't even have to use a pair of wires per remote button

7. Back To Top    #67
    Real Name
    Keele
    Vehicle
    17 Spark

Ordered switches, got spares if anyone wants some for the price of a stamp lol
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/100x-Panel-Momentary-Mini-Tactile-Tact-Push-Button-Switch-4-Pin-DIP-6-x-6-x-10mm-/230914110734?ssPageName=ADME:LU:US:3160

It's more then an idea now! Tested & working
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM3025.JPG 
Views:	297 
Size:	629.7 KB 
ID:	1274
    Shit pic, but you get the idea. Didn't have to modify the case any. Removed the rubber keys & used piece of adhesive weather stripping to hold the circuit board in place, wires out existing holes.

Center console armrest, little strip across the bottom is where I'm mounting the remote switches.

Name:	HPIM3026.JPG 
Views:	294 
Size:	725.9 KB 
ID:	1275

Name:	HPIM3028.JPG 
Views:	289 
Size:	548.3 KB 
ID:	1276

Probably going to mount the remote case in this recess to avoid having wiring run with hinge & get to battery easily

Name:	HPIM3029.JPG 
Views:	293 
Size:	662.0 KB 
ID:	1277

8. Back To Top    #68
    Real Name
    Keele
    Vehicle
    17 Spark

More low quality, poorly taken pics hoto:

Name:	HPIM3052.JPG 
Views:	322 
Size:	644.0 KB 
ID:	1383

Name:	HPIM3050.JPG 
Views:	348 
Size:	562.3 KB 
ID:	1384

Name:	HPIM3055.JPG 
Views:	302 
Size:	931.3 KB 
ID:	1386

Name:	HPIM3056.JPG 
Views:	318 
Size:	627.6 KB 
ID:	1385

The bottom of the armrest has a slight curve, so the buttons are based off a straight line 10mm above the top of the console. CA glued upper remote case & the lower snaps in place. Still need to sand, finish, & mount perf board holding switches in place (taped to test it), hopefully I'll get that done tomorrow. Still undecided on order I'm placing switches in. Can be configured in any order, having a bit of trouble deciding what order would ease day to day usability

functions are
    Volume + & -, Track/seek <- & ->, List/enter, Band/esc, Mute, Source, Pause, Display

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Keele81; 09-21-2013 at 10:54 AM.

9. Back To Top    #69
    Real Name
    Keele
    Vehicle
    17 Spark

Remote is done! Went with slightly different controls, swapped band/esc for down arrow for usb track & radio preset selection

CA glued perf board across bottom & added 4 braces (2 small on ends, 2 bigger in middle)

Name:	P1010010.JPG 
Views:	300 
Size:	851.2 KB 
ID:	1391
    (L to R) source, vol -, vol +, track/seek -, track/seek +, display, pause, mute, down arrow, list/enter

Name:	P1010011.JPG 
Views:	312 
Size:	851.3 KB 
ID:	1390
    Hard to see, easy to reach

Name:	P1010013.JPG 
Views:	287 
Size:	847.3 KB 
ID:	1389
    Last edited by Keele81; 09-23-2013 at 09:53 AM.