Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Distraction" Why I haven't updated the stereo in my car...

1. Back To Top    #21
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Re: "The Distraction" Why I haven't updated the stereo in my car...

Ok, I got a visit from the cops the other day. Apparently they didn't like my collection of trucks. I have 14 days to get rid of all but 1 and that one needs to be plated and insured if it's going to sit in the driveway. So, this kind of spurred me on. Last night I got my engine hoist assembled (HF, of course it didn't go together right if you followed the instructions...but one of the reviews told me what to do). Today (with the help of my decidedly non-car-girl girlfriend) we got the engine and transmission out of the "Big Red Bitch™" (in one piece.)

I swear the engine/trans is almost 1/2 as long as the truck. lol

I also took the whole interior and engine compartment harnesses, as well....mostly...

I also measured the resistance for the Passlock II anti theft system, so I can integrate that into my harness in case I can't get it turned off on the PCM right away I will still be able to start the truck. Tho, I may have to change PCM's (I hear a 411 one is good to use) because "The Big Red Bitch™" didn't have electric fans, and the S-10 will.

Anyway, that's the update for now.

Jay

2. Back To Top    #22

City ordinance I suppose.....

Oh well, maybe it'll be good motivation to tear em up....lol, looks like a good start already!

3. Back To Top    #23

POR15 works great for the surface rust situations.

4. Back To Top    #24
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Well that right thar makes my little IB and pillar build challenges a big "wah wah cry me a river". LOL!!!
    Really puts it into perspective.
    I applaud the work Jay!
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle
    2006 MINI Cooper S Checkmate Edition

Good luck on the next 14 days!

We had our house painted a number of years back because we got a blight notice from the city. We had "violated" an ordinance and someone for whatever reason reported our home. I looked up the ordinance to make sure it was real.

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Jose
    Vehicle
    VW Passat Wagon

Funny thing its your property and you're paying taxes to them for what, to harass you..

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Some jackass called the cops on me while I was putting the stereo in the Dakota because I had a beer in the truck with me, as soon as I put the keys in the ignition to flip it to accy they called the cops. I never made a single sound with the stereo, no amp, was just putting in a head unit and wanted to test power.

Cop was cool, he hung out and talked a bit, wanted to see under the hood and shit because it was far from stock. Found out he lived close because he was off shift about an hour and a half later and came over for a beer after his shift.

Shortly after I moved to country living... Well, very small rural town.... Can't have that shit, even if the cops are cool.

8. Back To Top    #28

Quote Originally Posted by AccordUno View Post
    Funny thing its your property and you're paying taxes to them for what, to harass you..
    Wrong train of thought there. Check the definition of Community- when you decide to live within one, you become part of it. If you don't want to do your part to keep things in check, go buy a trailer in the woods and do what hell you want. When "your property" condition affects others' values and livelihood, you have a community responsibility to abide by the rules of said community. Code enforcement is good for all parties.

9. Back To Top    #29
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Yeah I begin to understand now how this guy thought. My Dad took me to see a friend who was a gun builder. A real artist.. Beautiful custom stocks etc. He was an old hermit with a long beard.. Odd bird. Had a hidden driveway that fed directly into to desolate 4-lane road in the middle of BF nowhere. If you didn't know where it was, or were looking specifically for it and knew the marker on a tree, you'd never find it. If you did find it and you drove in, you wouldn't see his house until you were pretty darn near up to the front door. Kept it covered in foliage. To say that this guy wanted to be off-the-grid was an understatement. At the time I thought "spooky!!".. Now I'm starting to relate.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

10. Back To Top    #30
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Oh, guess I'll catch us up here.

The Big Red B!tch™ and the Green S-10 are gone now. I kept the red truck, the green bed, the engine and trans from the Silverado (as well as all the wiring).
    I put the bed on the truck so it doesn't look so bad. Engine hoist and straps from Harbor Freight worked great.

Then I decided to check out a new Junkyard I hadn't been to before. Went looking for Fender flares, bucket seat sliders and a Jeep Cherokee steering shaft. Came home with all this:

I got flares, power mirrors (incl wiring pigtails and switch), Door harnesses (power windows/locks), door boots, bucket seat sliders, fog light switch, and a few other things. So I set off to trying to install the (allegedly) Toyota bucket seats that came with the green truck.

I pulled some measurements from the bucket seats in the yard and made a piece of wood so I could properly locate everything.

I read a bunch of How To's on forums and they were all like "for the inside track just drill a hole and bolt in. Put a big washer underneath so it doesn't pull through."

So, I found I had to bend the inner front tab down to kinda meet the floor and make a spacer to bolt it in.

But I wasn't real happy with this. Seemed a little "hackish." Meanwhile, while I was doing this, someone commented in my thread on S10forum that you need the factory mounts and the brackets are just welded to the floor. So, off to the junkyard again...

I haven't done the passenger side yet, but I tacked the brackets in place with self tapping screws for now (too hot to get the welder out right now.)

Then I took the seats and set them on top of the wood piece so I could see where I need to locate my mounting hardware. The PO welded 1.5"x.25" flat stock to the bottom of the seat bracket, and I found I had to shift the seat about an inch to the left to center it up with the steering wheel.

I plan to make 4 mounting tabs (also out of 1.5" x .25") and weld them to the seat bracket to I can bolt everything together like stock. I wanted to put everything in the stock S-10 location in case I change seats later I can just get S-10 seat brackets.

So that's where I'm at at the moment.

I need to pick up engine mounts (probably from Current Performance) and make/adapt/buy a trans crossmember to support the 4L80E transmission...if I can get the engine and trans physically into the truck I can start working on wiring (which should keep me busy for a while) and other things that I need to get an idea of clearances for. My current thought is to grab a Mustang trans crossmember from Stiffler's and make my own brackets for the frame side. But I may just mod a stock trans crossmember as many have done before me.

Sadly, I'm broke.

On the upside, Kia owes me about $525.

Background:

Kia made some mathematical errors when they determined the MPG for most of their cars in 2011/2012. In case of my car it was off by about 4 mpg.
    So they have a settlement program that reimburses the original owners for the difference. In 2012, I had 17k on the car and got $138. Now I have 126295+ miles on it, the estimated settlement this time is $525.30. Should cover a few things. I made the claim today, takes 24ish hours to get into the dealer's computer. I go to them and they verify the mileage and sign off on it. Several weeks go by and I get a Visa gift card. Looking forward to it.

Jay