Thread: Gains with a DMM

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Re: Gains with a DMM

Quote Originally Posted by pocket5s View Post
    Great find! I'm just going to start linking to that lol. The only thing different that I saw from the "kit" that mark uses is he put his voltage divider into a small enclosure with RCA inputs/outputs on it instead of putting the resistors inline on the harness. Both end up at the same goal though.
    If you could sell a car audio specific one with all the I/O and padding needed in one box it may be a hot ticket.

Whirlwind sold the ever living shit out of these things http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/blac...s/testers/qbox but they just have the wrong feature set for car audio.

2. Back To Top    #22

google steve meade designs dmm gain setting tool. About $150. Dont know anything about it other than it looks simple to use.

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Quote Originally Posted by cadaver View Post
    google steve meade designs dmm gain setting tool. About $150. Dont know anything about it other than it looks simple to use.
    But then you would be supporting douchebaggery

4. Back To Top    #24

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    But then you would be supporting douchebaggery
    Ouch lol!! And pay about $120 more than making one! As a DIY guy on a budget, not a shop that is a big part of the equation!!

5. Back To Top    #25

Quote Originally Posted by 61ragtop View Post
    Well I am going to try and make this mini speaker to set the gains. I don't have Radioshack in Canada but will try and see if I can find a similar item. I found all the instructions on the rockford fosgate site.....

http://rftech.custhelp.com/app/answe...stortion-meter

Lets just hope I can find a mini speaker like the one from RS!
    If you plan on using that on the outputs of your amp you'll still need to have a load on the amp or it won't be accurate. Amps will generally clip at a higher voltage without a load than with a load.

6. Back To Top    #26

Quote Originally Posted by ca90ss View Post
    If you plan on using that on the outputs of your amp you'll still need to have a load on the amp or it won't be accurate. Amps will generally clip at a higher voltage without a load than with a load.

So this will defeat the whole reason to us it, with a load as in a speaker I wouldn't be able to hear the mini speaker anyway.....

7. Back To Top    #27

8. Back To Top    #28

lol cool but what if the load that the amp puts out is more than the 100 or 200 w units that they sell? Or is it possible to make these as well?

9. Back To Top    #29

I made one out of water heater elements that can take several thousand watts. Went to home depot with my dmm and found some that measured 12 ohm and bought six so I can have either a pair of 4 ohm loads or one 2 ohm load or one 8 ohm. Screwed them into a 5 gallon bucket lid and then stick them in a bucket full of water for testing.
    Last edited by ca90ss; 09-16-2015 at 10:07 PM.

10. Back To Top    #30

I made one out of water heater elements that can take several thousand watts. Went to home depot with my dmm and found some that measured 12 ohm and bought six so I can have either a pair of 4 ohm loads or one 2 ohm load or one 8 ohm. Screwed them into a 5 gallon bucket lid and then stick them in a bucket full of water for testing.
    Interesting contraption!!! Not being overly say with electrical I would have never imagined such a thing.....Or know where to start with it, lol

Now a question again, when an oscilloscope is used is there a load it creates? or is it the same as using a mini speaker system?

At the current time I have a 2 by 75w, 2 by 140w and 1 by 600w all at 4 ohm. I think I am going to be changing the 2 by 140w @4 ohm to a 2 by 250w @ 2 ohm by adding an extra set of 6.5's in the rear rum parallel since with the convertible I am going to need some more output. This means that the part you listed on parts express will not work for my system other than my 2 by 75 for the tweeters..