Thread: 256gb+ iPod 5.5 Gen with Wolfson DAC

1. Back To Top    #1

256gb+ iPod 5.5 Gen with Wolfson DAC

Product Brand & Model:

I have modded a couple of these iPods now and have some ready to mod and am looking to thin the herd. The item I'm listing here is my own personal 256gb (actual usable disk space is 238gb) SDXC modded iPod 5.5 generation. But I do have others I can mod.

*To keep this from going OT, because I know people will ask: For those wondering how this can be done to your own iPod, just Google "Tarkan iPod". The task can be confusing as heck because compatibility of various SD/msata drives vary with the iPod version used; I'm still confused by it sometimes. Aside from that, modding these things is just scary as you risk damaging the iPod and making it useless. If you have specific questions, just Google it. Seriously, the info is there so please don't derail this thread.

The 5.x generation iPods were the last versions using the 'audiophile' grade Wolfson DACs. Unfortunately these were the only available up to 80gb sizes which isn't enough for most libraries using lossless music or high quality mp3 compression. So, with the units I've modded I get the best of both worlds: tons of storage space and a high quality DAC. In addition, the interface and speed is an increase over the standard HDD apple uses.

I have the ability to modify these iPods anywhere between the lower 128mb bound to as high as 1TB. I personally don't need more than 256gb and, frankly, it's too dang expensive for me to go above that point. The higher you go, the more expensive and complex it gets. But if you are interested in that, PM me.

Condition of all items:

Used. Aesthetically the iPod is probably 7 or 8/10. Light scratches on the front/back. Looks don't bother me because I use it in my car or on travel.

This one comes with the iPod cable and original box. The others are the same condition but don't have the original box.

Total Price:

256gb - $320 shipped, CONUS. ($1.25/gb)
    500gb - $495 shipped, CONUS. ($1.02/gb)
    1TB - PM me

Keep in mind that since Apple discontinued the iPod classic last Fall, the 160gb versions shot up to $375 which is about $2.31/gb.

To be completely transparent to you guys I'm trying to pocket about $80 off each of these just to make it worth my time. I have to stalk eBay for good used iPods which can be expensive, test them, order the parts from overseas for the mod, take these things apart, order the appropriate drive, test them out, etc. It's a process. And $80 really isn't much considering all that. I'd ask more but I also want folks to be able to have something cool at an affordable price.

Please note: I won't mod someone else's iPod. Too risky; if I mess it up somehow I owe you a new iPod and since modding these isn't exactly trivial, I don't want to risk that. Besides that, these things are finicky because logic boards changed between versions so what works for one version may not for another.

And, no, I won't be providing my music collection with the iPod. lol

Shipping Terms:

USPS

Pictures:

Some quick photos from my phone...

Last edited by erinh; 07-26-2015 at 11:54 AM.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 256gb+ iPod 5.5 Gen with Wolfson DAC

FWIW, I've been using the 256gb mSATA version since last October and have had no issues other than the occasional song skip (which happens very rarely). It stays in my car 80% of the time and sometimes in to work with me. I've never had it give me cause for concern.

I recently switched over to the SDXC version because I wanted to see if it was faster with the headunit thanks to the alpine DD bogging down when displaying album art. I was pleasantly surprised to find this was indeed the case; the SDXC version is noticeably faster than the original HDD. I can pull up menus on my ipod through the headunit and fly through them more quickly than before and skipping songs is much faster. Both options (mSATA or SDXC) are faster than the original HDD in regards to access but the SDXC gets the edge between the two in this regard. But if you want 500gb you have to go with mSATA as it's currently the only proven option (and 500gb sd cards would kill in price).

3. Back To Top    #3

Dammit......I need one of these, lol. My current 80gb won't hold all my music. That doesent even include the 1tb drive I scored at the spring meet.........my ipod stays in my car, and more capacity is awesome!

Have you seen any of the "open box" deals you discussed at deema lately? I think a 500gb with the "open box" drive might be right up my alley......

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle
    2006 MINI Cooper S Checkmate Edition

Second me in the dammit erin club. Right now, this is impossible to do, but when my situation changes I will know to contact you.

Thank-you for offering this.

5. Back To Top    #5

Clay, I built an open box 500gb recently. But the prices on them have gone up about $35 since then.

6. Back To Top    #6

Was this for someone, or is it available?.......you can pm details ifn ya like....

7. Back To Top    #7

built it for someone else.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I will be contacting you for one of these. I have two iPods that are dead (dead batteries) and their capacities are too small. You are awesome Erin.